GT Sunday 10/3 - IT'S ALL ON THE LINE! HOLD NOTHING BACK!

bhofferb

Re: GT Sunday 10/3 - IT'S ALL ON THE LINE! HOLD NOTHING BACK!

Post by bhofferb » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:57 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:58 am
Petert wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:46 am
AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 am

This interview was probably the most powerful of the season..... it got to me
It was powerful. I was watching this transfixed.
Really makes you wonder what they will do with the $17M they save by buying him out and if the team will be better for it.
I just hope we don't have to spend next season wondering if our Toro/Torrens/Moore 3-headed third base combo can brerak the Mendoza line :shock:

Petert

Post by Petert » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 am

D-train wrote:
Petert wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 am

This interview was probably the most powerful of the season..... it got to me
Really makes you wonder what they will do with the $17M they save by buying him out and if the team will be better for it.
Well, see, that's my point. When you dissolve the game into a set of metrics and let numbers define the "absolute", you are hoisted on your own petard. You benefit from the purely analytical aspect (maybe), but you can suffer from "removing a piece you didn't know was there", know what I mean ? There are aspects of the game that performance numbers don't capture, and which can be vital to a team's well-being and success, from the perspective of morale, guidance, and oversight. I think this is why, years and years ago, they developed the 'player-coach' concept. Give a player a very part-time role, put him in the position of mentoring younger players, and let's see how it pays off.

Seager is relatively young. I think he's got three more years. Would he be willing to take on a part-time role, probably not. Is he worth the option cost for what he'd provide for another season ? If not him, then there are worse options on the market at the position. The better ones are those that we would probably not take up, simply because of the cost. And we are maybe two years away from our own system product.

There's a hidden dimension of the game that remains to be uncovered by metrics - the aspect of what a player provides in terms of hidden value; that of value to team morale, young player guidance, the mature compass, the silent coach, the lodestone. I think Seager falls into this, and with a team that is young and now-seriously competitive, it becomes all the more important. Is it worth $17M to jettison ? I don't think so. Sometimes the team has to place its wallet where its players' faith is, not necessarily the front office's.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:01 am

Petert wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 am
D-train wrote:
Petert wrote:

Well, see, that's my point. When you dissolve the game into a set of metrics and let numbers define the "absolute", you are hoisted on your own petard. You benefit from the purely analytical aspect (maybe), but you can suffer from "removing a piece you didn't know was there", know what I mean ? There are aspects of the game that performance numbers don't capture, and which can be vital to a team's well-being and success, from the perspective of morale, guidance, and oversight. I think this is why, years and years ago, they developed the 'player-coach' concept. Give a player a very part-time role, put him in the position of mentoring younger players, and let's see how it pays off.

Seager is relatively young. I think he's got three more years. Would he be willing to take on a part-time role, probably not. Is he worth the option cost for what he'd provide for another season ? If not him, then there are worse options on the market at the position. The better ones are those that we would probably not take up, simply because of the cost. And we are maybe two years away from our own system product.

There's a hidden dimension of the game that remains to be uncovered by metrics - the aspect of what a player provides in terms of hidden value; that of value to team morale, young player guidance, the mature compass, the silent coach, the lodestone. I think Seager falls into this, and with a team that is young and now-seriously competitive, it becomes all the more important. Is it worth $17M to jettison ? I don't think so. Sometimes the team has to place its wallet where its players' faith is, not necessarily the front office's.
If this forum had a "like button" I'd be using it here...

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:01 am

Petert wrote:
D-train wrote:
Petert wrote:

If this forum had a "like button" I'd be using it here...

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Petert wrote:
D-train wrote:
Petert wrote:

Well said. I have spent the last few months trying to read the tea leaves in order to discern whether or not the team will spend significantly this offseason. Maybe JD wants a team only consisting of his "guys" but the fact it was a forgone conclusion all season that they were going to let a good defensive 3B, team leader with a very productive offensive campaign walk in order "save" $17M was a leaf from the biggest palm tree in the world telling all that were willing to read it that they were still focused on the bottom line.
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Another year of Seager in the three hole would have pushed me over the edge.... He's pocketed close to 100 million dollars... it's enough

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:15 pm
Another year of Seager in the three hole would have pushed me over the edge.... He's pocketed close to 100 million dollars... it's enough
Well I am pretty indifferent and agree he shouldn't even been above the five hole THIS season. We will see if they use the money to upgrade the position with JRam or similar or just throw half ass "solutions" like Torrens and Toro over there.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Wow. 90 wins. The only team in Seattle showing any signs of life lately - your Seattle Mariners. The Seahawks are a broken record - the Huskies, well, frankly, are dog shit, and the jury is out on the Kraken. Who saw that coming? To take it down to the last game of the season - selling out the final weekend - to the point even I was paying close attention to them the last month of the season. They absolutely owned the A's, ending their season - and then in perfect Mariner fashion - they drop two to the lowly halos to end it all. Still, no one can deny it was a special season - and an incredible run for the starving baseball fans in the Emerald City.

As much emotional lamenting about the Kyle Seagar situation - and as much as Seagar desperately wanted to break the post season drought - dude's getting paid top dollar to hit better than .212. If he hits .280 - a figure closer to his income expectations - Seattle probably wins the division.

90 wins and a farm system considered one of, if not THE, best in MLB. They won despite a massive run deficit - which means guts and bravado. From what I can tell, they need bats and a couple of upgrades to the staff and they could elevate their way past the Astros who will likely see a slight decline from their recent AL West pedestal. Could be the changing of the guard.

Great season M's. You turned some heads down here in SoCal - in Dodger country.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm

There were seven 90+ win teams in the AL and four 90+ win teams in the NL and the Mariners were the worst among them all. The M's are going to have to improve considerably in order for there to be a "changing of the guard". We need to upgrade our offense with much more contact, more left hand power, and more offense out of the catching position and 2nd base for starters. We need to up grade the rotation and eliminate a couple weaknesses in the bullpen. It's all doable, but will the owners pony up?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm
There were seven 90+ win teams in the AL and four 90+ win teams in the NL and the Mariners were the worst among them all. The M's are going to have to improve considerably in order for there to be a "changing of the guard". We need to upgrade our offense with much more contact, more left hand power, and more offense out of the catching position and 2nd base for starters. We need to up grade the rotation and eliminate a couple weaknesses in the bullpen. It's all doable, but will the owners pony up?
Its really unfortunate that Torrens seems to be Jesus Montero Jr. in terms of catching ability. His bat would play very well as a catcher. Maybe he isn't a lost cause and can at least be an average defensive catcher with off season and ST work.
dt