The Unanimous HOF question

bhofferb

Re: The Unanimous HOF question

Post by bhofferb » Fri May 03, 2024 2:35 am

The problem is the voters only get to vote for 10 players. This means it makes sense to leave off a sure thing player (“He’ll get elected without my vote”) if you want to let’s say, vote for a borderline player who is nearing their tenth year on the ballot, a player who may not reach 5% their first year, your hometown favorite etc. Not sure what the solution is. Personally I think there ought to be a cut off for each position using WAR. Players either rack up enough WAR to make the Hall or they don’t.

gil

Post by gil » Fri May 03, 2024 4:01 am

bhofferb wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:35 am
The problem is the voters only get to vote for 10 players. This means it makes sense to leave off a sure thing player (“He’ll get elected without my vote”) if you want to let’s say, vote for a borderline player who is nearing their tenth year on the ballot, a player who may not reach 5% their first year, your hometown favorite etc. Not sure what the solution is. Personally I think there ought to be a cut off for each position using WAR. Players either rack up enough WAR to make the Hall or they don’t.
The problem is the voters only get to vote for 10 players. This means it makes sense to leave off a sure thing player (“He’ll get elected without my vote”) if you want to let’s say, vote for a borderline player who is nearing their tenth year on the ballot, a player who may not reach 5% their first year, your hometown favorite etc.

This makes sense to me. Good point.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 03, 2024 10:23 am

bhofferb wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:35 am
But it is the Hall of FAME, not the hall of great Stats. I am a huge statistics guy but there so much more to Sports in terms of Qualitative assessments, especially baseball. If there was a WAR minimum then neither Ichiro or Edgar likely make it..
dt