Early trade candidates

Seattle or Bust

Re: Early trade candidates

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri May 10, 2024 5:54 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:26 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 4:55 pm
I don't think Teo is anywhere near as talented as Tucker. A lefty bat is going to play much better at T-Mobile too.
A few good points here. But I am still not sure that Tucker would be worth the cost - it would take quite a prospect haul to a division rival to land him, and I doubt the Stros would trade him anyway. Better for them to extend him in a year.

If we are looking to deal away talent to get talent from division rivals, I would like to get Mason Miller from the A's. The dude is a total stud.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ma03.shtml

Move Munoz to the setup role. Munoz, Stanek and Miller?? Aye carumba.

This doesn't solve the offensive woes we have, but if we went for a blockbuster package that included Brent Rooker, it would make us serious contenders.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... br01.shtml

I can't put together a trade proposal because baseballtradevalues now requires a subscription. It would likely involve moving a Miller or a Woo, but we could backfill one of those with Hancock and still have a great starting rotation.

BTW: I realize this is an insane proposal. The A's would be trading away 2 of their best players while they are starting their rebuild in preparation for their relocation. But there is some indication that Miller, at least, is drawing some interest. If the A's are listening, we should be speaking. Yelling, in fact.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/ ... ntion.html
I'm in the mode of not acquiring fringe players anymore when it comes to picking up offensive talent. That's who Teo, Garver, Palanco are in my eyes...

Teo and his career .804 OPS elevated by playing in an elite offense in Toronto and then being elevated again in playing in another elite offense.

Players who don't seem to have those issues in weaker offenses are guys who hit at elite levels in various areas and not on the fringes.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:58 pm
Realistically, the ideal trade candidate for the M's would be outfielder Kyle Tucker from the Astros...

Tucker is slashing .268/.384/.558/.942 with 11 homers. He's an elite lefty bat which the M's desperately need. The last 3 seasons his numbers shake out to around a .870 OPS, 30 bombs and 100 RBI's a year.

He's got less than 2 years years left until he hits free agency... return might be similar to the Castillo haul.

If the Astros are out of contention, I wonder if a Bryan Woo + Cole Young + a few younger prospects deal would get it done.
Have you looked at Cole young stats at Arkansas. They would probably say some stupid s*** like they can't trade within the division
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri May 10, 2024 6:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Realistically, the ideal trade candidate for the M's would be outfielder Kyle Tucker from the Astros...

Tucker is slashing .268/.384/.558/.942 with 11 homers. He's an elite lefty bat which the M's desperately need. The last 3 seasons his numbers shake out to around a .870 OPS, 30 bombs and 100 RBI's a year.

He's got less than 2 years years left until he hits free agency... return might be similar to the Castillo haul.

If the Astros are out of contention, I wonder if a Bryan Woo + Cole Young + a few younger prospects deal would get it done.
Have you looked at Cole young stats at Arkansas. They would probably say some stupid s*** like they can't trade within the division
I have... but his trade value isn't going to be diminished by 1.3 bad months in AA. He didn't just get to no. 1 in our prospect rankings by accident.

We have a surplus of middle infielders in the minors... they don't. I imagine adding someone in this position group would be a priority for them.

And maybe that's true. But that didn't stop them from trading Toro for Graveman. A lesser trade for sure, but trades between the M's and Astros have not met as much of a road block as say the M's and Angels.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 6:40 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

I have... but his trade value isn't going to be diminished by 1.3 bad months in AA. He didn't just get to no. 1 in our prospect rankings by accident.

We have a surplus of middle infielders in the minors... they don't. I imagine adding someone in this position group would be a priority for them.

And maybe that's true. But that didn't stop them from trading Toro for Graveman. A lesser trade for sure, but trades between the M's and Astros have not met as much of a road block as say the M's and Angels.
It is a great idea and I hope they do it. The key is the Astros continuing to lose and us being within a few games of the Rangers. How about the fact that we are behind the Royals for the WC3 in a go for the World Series season. Just a joke.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri May 10, 2024 7:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:40 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:13 pm
D-train wrote:

It is a great idea and I hope they do it. The key is the Astros continuing to lose and us being within a few games of the Rangers. How about the fact that we are behind the Royals for the WC3 in a go for the World Series season. Just a joke.
Not sure I have much faith in all that coming together.

To me the M's just aren't a very good baseball team. But ofc I'm operating from a place of optimism that our offense won't totally shit the bed all season and we're at least not 12 games under .500 like the Astros.

It's pretty rare for teams to rebound from that big of a hole.

The 2005 Astros were 15-30 and finished 89-73... so I suppose it can happen. But there's only a handful of teams who have been 12 games under at this point and made the playoffs.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri May 10, 2024 7:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

You've got to give these young players time to develop. Moving Young to AA this year was aggressive.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:47 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

You've got to give these young players time to develop. Moving Young to AA this year was aggressive.
I don't know about that when guy is top 40 in baseball and the no. 1 in your system...

You're kind of saying that he transcends the usual expectations when they're given that pedigree.

To me, Lazaro and Emerson are better prospects than both Young and Ford.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 8:14 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

I am, I just don't think you would be getting full value if you traded him now.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 8:15 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:

I don't know about that when guy is top 40 in baseball and the no. 1 in your system...

You're kind of saying that he transcends the usual expectations when they're given that pedigree.

To me, Lazaro and Emerson are better prospects than both Young and Ford.
Agree.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 pm

Maybe the Astros don't care but I imagine the Astro fan reaction of trading Tucker and his MLB stat line for Cole Young and his AA stat line wouldn't be great...
dt