OT German U Boats of the coast of Boston WWII

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: OT German U Boats of the coast of Boston WWII

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm

But what does that have to do with Nazis having control of some islands in the channel? I doubt that was a secret to people in Britain or the U.S..

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm
But what does that have to do with Nazis having control of some islands in the channel? I doubt that was a secret to people in Britain or the U.S..
So you know about it? I would love Mostonmike to weigh in but during the first minute of that segment they mentioned that it is not widely known in the UK to this day.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 pm

I was aware of it because i used to watch a fair number of documentaries about the War back before the History and Discovery channels turned into purveyors of cultural destruction by joining in with the "reality" show craze. That doesn't mean it was widely known at the time, but i don't see why Allied nations would want to keep it secret.

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm
So you know about it? I would love Mostonmike to weigh in but during the first minute of that segment they mentioned that it is not widely known in the UK to this day.
Its pretty common knowledge that Germany occupied the Channel Islands for pretty much the whole of the war but hadn't heard about the concentration camps. But given they were there for 5 years though its hardly surprising they were up to their usual tricks during that time. I guess that information would be left out of the propaganda fed to our grandparents. Its also borderline usage of "British soil" for the Channel Islands, given how close to occupied France they were.

We pretty much consider the Channel Islands to be overseas territories like Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands rather than Crown Dependencies (their official status) like the Isle of Man which is wedged between Mainland Britain and the Island of Ireland.

Bloody complicated stuff. :geek:

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2024 9:49 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm
Its pretty common knowledge that Germany occupied the Channel Islands for pretty much the whole of the war but hadn't heard about the concentration camps. But given they were there for 5 years though its hardly surprising they were up to their usual tricks during that time. I guess that information would be left out of the propaganda fed to our grandparents. Its also borderline usage of "British soil" for the Channel Islands, given how close to occupied France they were.

We pretty much consider the Channel Islands to be overseas territories like Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands rather than Crown Dependencies (their official status) like the Isle of Man which is wedged between Mainland Britain and the Island of Ireland.

Bloody complicated stuff. :geek:
Fascinating. Thanks Mike!
dt

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri May 10, 2024 11:43 pm

They were also in the Gulf of Mexico and off Jacksonville Beach, all along the East Coast. They even put a few spies ashore, who were caught and executed, at least some of them.