My current top 10 prospects

Juliooooo

Re: My current top 10 prospects

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 10, 2019 3:49 am

rockycola wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:23 am
Do we have a hidden gem? RHP, just turned 25 two weeks ago, Clay Chandler has been pitching lights out at West Virginia. Yes, he's old for the league but he's someone to follow with mild interest. He's 4-1 in 7 starts, 0.84 ERA, has a complete game under his belt.

No, he doesn't jump onto my top 10 list but I just discovered him and am intrigued.
By David Kahn / West Virginia Power | April 29, 2019 2:08 PM

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (April 29, 2019) - The West Virginia Power, in conjunction with the South Atlantic League, is excited to announce that RHP Clay Chandler has been named SAL Pitcher of the Week for the week of April 22-28. Chandler is the first West Virginia hurler to claim Pitcher of the Week honors since Mike Wallace garnered the award from August 28-September 4, 2017.

Chandler dominated during his two starts over this past week, posting a 2-0 record while scattering eight hits and not allowing a run or issuing a walk over 12 innings of work. The Paducah, Kentucky, native fanned 15 batters as well, whittling his ERA down to a South Atlantic League-best 0.31 on the season.

The righty started the Power's homestand opener April 22 against Columbia and fired five scoreless frames while giving up just two hits and striking out a career-best 10 batters. Chandler followed that up with a brilliant seven-inning performance Saturday, April 27, on his 25th birthday, subduing the Asheville Tourists to the tune of six hits and no runs with five strikeouts.

A product of Southeast Missouri State, Chandler
Sure would be nice to have an unexpected quick riser.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... andl000cla

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... g/2019/ALL
Tough to say without knowing what kind of "stuff" he has. Does he throw high 80's, or is he a mid 90's guy. I saw his numbers a few times and got excited, until I clicked on it and saw that he's 25 pitching in a league that has guys like JRod and Kelenic that are teanagers.

Side note, that also excites me about those 2, that they are doing it in a league that has some guys 4-5 years older than them pitching.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:49 am
rockycola wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:23 am
Do we have a hidden gem? RHP, just turned 25 two weeks ago, Clay Chandler has been pitching lights out at West Virginia. Yes, he's old for the league but he's someone to follow with mild interest. He's 4-1 in 7 starts, 0.84 ERA, has a complete game under his belt.

No, he doesn't jump onto my top 10 list but I just discovered him and am intrigued.
By David Kahn / West Virginia Power | April 29, 2019 2:08 PM

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (April 29, 2019) - The West Virginia Power, in conjunction with the South Atlantic League, is excited to announce that RHP Clay Chandler has been named SAL Pitcher of the Week for the week of April 22-28. Chandler is the first West Virginia hurler to claim Pitcher of the Week honors since Mike Wallace garnered the award from August 28-September 4, 2017.

Chandler dominated during his two starts over this past week, posting a 2-0 record while scattering eight hits and not allowing a run or issuing a walk over 12 innings of work. The Paducah, Kentucky, native fanned 15 batters as well, whittling his ERA down to a South Atlantic League-best 0.31 on the season.

The righty started the Power's homestand opener April 22 against Columbia and fired five scoreless frames while giving up just two hits and striking out a career-best 10 batters. Chandler followed that up with a brilliant seven-inning performance Saturday, April 27, on his 25th birthday, subduing the Asheville Tourists to the tune of six hits and no runs with five strikeouts.

A product of Southeast Missouri State, Chandler
Sure would be nice to have an unexpected quick riser.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... andl000cla

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... g/2019/ALL
Tough to say without knowing what kind of "stuff" he has. Does he throw high 80's, or is he a mid 90's guy. I saw his numbers a few times and got excited, until I clicked on it and saw that he's 25 pitching in a league that has guys like JRod and Kelenic that are teanagers.

Side note, that also excites me about those 2, that they are doing it in a league that has some guys 4-5 years older than them pitching.
Right on! Chandler is admittedly a long shot. Maybe Lookout Landing or some other source will write some dope about him soon. If he's excelling I see him being promoted soon. If he falls flat on his face, so sorry, nice try. If he gets closer to his age peers and has success it might be a good story,
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 10, 2019 3:58 am

For me

1a JRod
1b Kelenic
3 Gilbert
4 Sheffield
5 Dunn
6 White
7 Long
8 Fraley
9 DTW
10 Lewis (Still holding on some hope after his spring this year. Also, after a cold start he's hitting .321 his last 15 games).

To make things easier, I just left out those who we haven't seen yet. Carlson, Marte, Queretco
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 10, 2019 3:59 am

rockycola wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 am

Right on! Chandler is admittedly a long shot. Maybe Lookout Landing or some other source will write some dope about him soon. If he's excelling I see him being promoted soon. If he falls flat on his face, so sorry, nice try. If he gets closer to his age peers and has success it might be a good story,
Yeah, at 25, he should definitely be moved up soon. Newsome probably needs to go to AA as well. Maybe Dunn or Sanchez can move up to AAA and kick out one of the scrubs they have filling innings there.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 4:01 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:59 am
rockycola wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 am

Yeah, at 25, he should definitely be moved up soon. Newsome probably needs to go to AA as well. Maybe Dunn or Sanchez can move up to AAA and kick out one of the scrubs they have filling innings there.
That would be cooliooooo, Juliooooo!
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 am

I am keeping my fingers crossed on White because he has so many potential tools and could evolve into Olerud. I am also throwing in Rizzo as a long shot. It appears he may have his hitting woes behind him. Time will tell with both.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 am

AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 am
I am keeping my fingers crossed on White because he has so many potential tools and could evolve into Olerud. I am also throwing in Rizzo as a long shot. It appears he may have his hitting woes behind him. Time will tell with both.
The question with both will be the power. Do they bring enough value to a corner IF spot to justify playing them. I have more hope for White to develop some power with his height. Rizzo is short, but already stocky at 194. Only 4 HR last year in the Cal league and 1 so far this year. I don't think he's supposed to be a great defender either.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 am

D-train wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am
1. Kelenic
2. J-Rod
3. Gilbert
4. Sheffield
5. Dunn
6. Fraley
7. Carlson
8. DTW
9. Marte
10. Gerber
Gerber is an interesting choice over White, Lewis, Long, Cal, Querecuto, BB
I also like guys further down in Gerson Bautista, Ricardo Sanchez, Nolan Hoffman, and Art Warren.

It really is nice being able to come up with at least 20 names that are attached to prospects that have upside. And,,, 1/2 dozen or so that you would be very hesitant to let go at anything other than an insane return.

Is anyone else at least a little sore that there was several months of hesitation before Carlson went with the surgery approach? Was it a case of the player pushing for non-surgical approach? Vs. I don't know maybe the team seeking multiple opinions and originally opting to try the non surgical approach.( Lorena Martin)? I am just a little peeved that we won't see Carlson until late in the season maybe not even until AFL or other off season leagues like Aussie, Dominican, etc.

My .02

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri May 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Who the heck is Nabil Crismatt at Modesto? He just threw 13 K's in 6 innings.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 am
AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 am
The question with both will be the power. Do they bring enough value to a corner IF spot to justify playing them. I have more hope for White to develop some power with his height. Rizzo is short, but already stocky at 194. Only 4 HR last year in the Cal league and 1 so far this year. I don't think he's supposed to be a great defender either.
Yep, even though he is hitting well this year so far, zero power + avg. D = AAAA player at best. At almost 200lbs he might just need an elevate and celebrate swing change that worked so well for Chris Taylor and Bishop. btw Taylor has regressed to his Mariner self. .212/.642 this season.
dt