M's second most profitable franchise in MLB in 2023

Michael K.

Re: M's second most profitable franchise in MLB in 2023

Post by Michael K. » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 pm
And their response will be to shed more payroll and field a worse team. Eventually payroll will drop below $50 mil and they will focus entirely on concessions and scoreboard enhancements in order to provide the best experience for fans that don't give a shit about the actual game. And they'll still make a nice profit.
Here? Hell yes they would. I've only been to two games recently. Before that, the last game I went to Ketel Marte was playing SS. In both of those games my wife and I walked around, looking for the best option for beer, etc. Both times I was in awe at how many people were sitting at Edgar's and acting as though it was a singles bar. When they show Edgar's on TV it's the same way. The place is packed, and most everyone has their back to the damn game! Can you imagine if that was a football game?

Seattle is a weak ass sports town. It must be hip to be at Mariner games, because they sure don't give a shit about the team on the field or the results.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:15 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 pm
And their response will be to shed more payroll and field a worse team. Eventually payroll will drop below $50 mil and they will focus entirely on concessions and scoreboard enhancements in order to provide the best experience for fans that don't give a shit about the actual game. And they'll still make a nice profit.
Here? Hell yes they would. I've only been to two games recently. Before that, the last game I went to Ketel Marte was playing SS. In both of those games my wife and I walked around, looking for the best option for beer, etc. Both times I was in awe at how many people were sitting at Edgar's and acting as though it was a singles bar. When they show Edgar's on TV it's the same way. The place is packed, and most everyone has their back to the damn game! Can you imagine if that was a football game?

Seattle is a weak ass sports town. It must be hip to be at Mariner games, because they sure don't give a shit about the team on the field or the results.
With our last season tickets to the Hawks we had access to the club. Probably 1000 people in there and nobody watching the game even thought there were Giant screens everywhere. I couldn't believe it. And that is when we were good! 2019
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

And we're already shaming fans for expressing frustration over the usual shitty offense themes.

You would think this guy would learn something from touting the "it's early" nonsense until the All Star break last year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:03 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

And we're already shaming fans for expressing frustration over the usual shitty offense themes.

You would think this guy would learn something from touting the "it's early" nonsense until the All Star break last year.
Ah the racist card no less. That Joker blocked me a few months ago...Him and his Goon Patnode are quite the duo.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:03 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Ah the racist card no less. That Joker blocked me a few months ago...Him and his Goon Patnode are quite the duo.
While I'm sure you're aware that I'm openly left-leaning... this is one thing I really wish people who are left-leaning would stop doing. Maybe some people would look at the fact they are hispanic baseball players as a reason for laziness (and it would be stupid and racist), but the vast majority of people don't do that. Highlighting the terrible reaction of a very small sect of people has the affect of lumping those who are simply frustrated with the lack of effort in with those people... he should be more careful differentiating that in his tweet.

It's unfair and a silly way to go about virtue signaling.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:48 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:54 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:03 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:

While I'm sure you're aware that I'm openly left-leaning... this is one thing I really wish people who are left-leaning would stop doing. Maybe some people would look at the fact they are hispanic baseball players as a reason for laziness (and it would be stupid and racist), but the vast majority of people don't do that. Highlighting the terrible reaction of a very small sect of people has the affect of lumping those who are simply frustrated with the lack of effort in with those people... he should be more careful differentiating that in his tweet.

It's unfair and a silly way to go about virtue signaling.
Yeah, those guys like to tell us when they ban people for wrongthink. It's sort of a thing with those two.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:02 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:

It's not really a question of being early as much as SSS. It's a week of poor baseball. That can at any point in the season to the best teams. That it's the first week of the season makes it more distressing. It's projected as what the season is going to look like. It could be or it could not

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:23 am

Making mental errors and half-assing it on the base paths or in the outfield in the season-opening homestand is total horseshit. Something is seriously fucked up behind the scenes with this group.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:36 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:02 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:

It's not really a question of being early as much as SSS. It's a week of poor baseball. That can at any point in the season to the best teams. That it's the first week of the season makes it more distressing. It's projected as what the season is going to look like. It could be or it could not
They hit for the worst OPS of any team in MLB over the first week.

You are treating it like this 1st week is wholly independent. It's scary because the offense under this GM and manager since the rebuild has looked equally inept at many times over that span. It's a trend that seems eerily similar... nothing about it provided any hope that this offense will put itself in a position to be one of the league's best.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:41 am

I'm treating it as a week of baseball. But yeah, because it's the first week of the season it becomes concerning. It could be indicative of who the team is or it could be a bad week of baseball, we shall see