Massive drop in Root Sports ratings. -34%

DanielVogelbach

Re: Massive drop in Root Sports ratings. -34%

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 am

You can get MLB.tv and use a VPN to spoof your IP, so MLB doesn't know you're coming out of the Pacific NW and they won't black you out.

One game per week is now exclusively on YouTube. I believe those games are actually not available on Root.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/youtube

I wouldn't call the cable plan "archaic", as it's still how all of the MLB teams operate. AFAIK, there's not one team that uses a streaming service to broadcast their games; it's all on cable TV.

Petert

Post by Petert » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:18 am

Happy as hell wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm
Petert wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Radio is still free, it makes an eminently good companion to a cocktail on the deck, and Rick Rizz is still somewhat listenable.
I heard Sims on the radio a couple of times last summer. Strange to say, he wasn’t bad at it. Better than when he’s on tv.
I understand your point. I heard the same broadcasts. I think it’s because he gears his announcing to what’s going on the video monitor as opposed to ‘bringing the game to the fan’, like a great radio announcer can. This is something which I think Rizz learned his lessons very well from Niehaus.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 am

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 am
You can get MLB.tv and use a VPN to spoof your IP, so MLB doesn't know you're coming out of the Pacific NW and they won't black you out.

One game per week is now exclusively on YouTube. I believe those games are actually not available on Root.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/youtube

I wouldn't call the cable plan "archaic", as it's still how all of the MLB teams operate. AFAIK, there's not one team that uses a streaming service to broadcast their games; it's all on cable TV.
I guarantee you it won't be that way for long. In 3 yrs nearly all if not 100 percent of teams will have deals with streamers. They better or MLB is going to get left out.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:26 am

Idk how do mask my IP address so that I don't get blacked out but I might have to figure that out. Might be worth it to subscribe to mlb.tv

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 am

So do people watch the games on their phone or computer or hook their computer up to their TV? All seem like absurd options to me. Talk about over thinking it. You can probably just spend all that time and effort getting a job that pays $50 a month more and then you can afford such extravagant luxuries as cable TV. :lol:
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:23 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 am
So do people watch the games on there phone or computer or hook their computer up to their TV? All seem like absurd options to me. Talk about over thinking it. You can probably just spend all that time and effort getting a job that pays $50 a month more and then you can afford such extravagant luxuries as cable TV. :lol:
For me, it’s cable or radio, and that’s it. Because of Seattle’s undulating topography, I sometimes stream the radio station broadcast via an internet service.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:29 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 am
So do people watch the games on their phone or computer or hook their computer up to their TV? All seem like absurd options to me. Talk about over thinking it. You can probably just spend all that time and effort getting a job that pays $50 a month more and then you can afford such extravagant luxuries as cable TV. :lol:
I'm lucky in that my online bookmakers provides every MLB/NHL/NBA game as a live stream for free. I say free but you obviously have to have at least £1 in your account.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:44 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:26 am
Idk how do mask my IP address so that I don't get blacked out but I might have to figure that out. Might be worth it to subscribe to mlb.tv
I would recommend you download Opera Browser, they have a very good VPN(turn on in settings) that I use to get US Netflix

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Happy as hell wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm
Petert wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Radio is still free, it makes an eminently good companion to a cocktail on the deck, and Rick Rizz is still somewhat listenable.
I heard Sims on the radio a couple of times last summer. Strange to say, he wasn’t bad at it. Better than when he’s on tv.
You have to be kidding. Sims is ten times worse on radio. He literally doesn't know how to speak in complete sentences and he has all of these awkward mid phrase pauses while he searches for the next word he wants to say. It actually makes me cringe to listen to him to the point where I will turn it off.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:34 am
I am totally cool with the archaic methodology of turning on the TV and turning on Root Sports if I want to watch a game.
DT

Nope, not me. I am not ok with paying 60 $ a month just to get root. I don't have the inclination to hunt for some sort of pirated signal either. Every once in a while I will go to a bar and watch a match up when I have the time. I mainly will watch the recap or a highlight or two.

I am kinda morose about the fate of cable.
The streamers have all jacked their rates up.
I had Hulu when they were free but dropped when they went to 6$
Netflex started at 6 or 7.99 I dropped after their 2nd or third hike to the premium 15.99$
amazon dicked me still a student so I should have paid 59 for the year instead they got me for 119.

HBO, Apple, I know people with anime subscriptions. No one service has everything you want so you pick and choose what you want at the time it is amazing how many nickle and dime accounts you accumulate. Try cutting the cord down to the bare minimum. You might like it.
My Cable was over 100 bucks a Month when I cut the chord. We live in the woods and cant get dish because we have no line of sight. We are streaming AT&T now for about $40 per month. Gets everything I want except for Root and Pac 12.