Massive drop in Root Sports ratings. -34%

Captain 97

Re: Massive drop in Root Sports ratings. -34%

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:30 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 am
So do people watch the games on their phone or computer or hook their computer up to their TV? All seem like absurd options to me. Talk about over thinking it. You can probably just spend all that time and effort getting a job that pays $50 a month more and then you can afford such extravagant luxuries as cable TV. :lol:
You can stream MLB TV direct to your TV through a Roku. It pops up just like netflix does.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:26 am
Idk how do mask my IP address so that I don't get blacked out but I might have to figure that out. Might be worth it to subscribe to mlb.tv
https://www.tunnelbear.com

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:30 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 am
So do people watch the games on their phone or computer or hook their computer up to their TV? All seem like absurd options to me. Talk about over thinking it. You can probably just spend all that time and effort getting a job that pays $50 a month more and then you can afford such extravagant luxuries as cable TV. :lol:
You can stream MLB TV direct to your TV through a Roku. It pops up just like netflix does.
Roku, Apple TV, X-Box, Playstation, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, iPhone/iPad, Android.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/devices

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 pm

The fact that MLB "blacks out" the local games from their streaming service should tell you all you need to know about what type of a deal you're getting with your cable or satellite package. They force you to pay for all of their channels even if you only watch one.

Ideal situation is complete a la carte media offerings... Don't even make me pay for the whole season. Make it $1 per game. Pay as you go. Same thing if I want to watch a TV show.

Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon, etc. are all slowly eating into the cable and satellite revenue. They're even creating their own exclusive content to pull customers in. (I'm a HUGE fan of Cobra Kai on YouTube BTW) The price of these services is low compared to cable and satellite, which is part of the initial draw whether adding them as supplemental or using them to ditch cable/satellite TV. But, the price will go up for the streaming services, and cable/satellite will need to drop theirs to remain competitive. It's already become very chaotic. The problem with all of these solutions is that they're monthly subscriptions... Don't watch any TV this month? Too bad, you still pay full price... Hopefully consumers get a pay as you go, a la carte model in the future.

In some ways the current model makes you feel like you're getting more "value" from your service if you park yourself on the couch 24x7, max out your DVR space, etc.. I'm currently on DirectTV and I overpay so hard considering how little content I actually consume. Being a sports fan makes it tough. It used to be that you could see local games and most of the post season games on network TV, which is available in brilliant HD right over the air-waves. However, now the local team is on cable/satellite and so are many post season games. Tonight's game between Astros and Yankees is on FS1.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 pm

I am probably Comcasts best customer. lol $250 a month for cable internet and phone.
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 pm
I am probably Comcasts best customer. lol $250 a month for cable internet and phone.
You need the security system!

Comcast will generally slash your bill if you tell them you need to disconnect, so you can switch to a competitor.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 pm
You need the security system!

Comcast will generally slash your bill if you tell them you need to disconnect, so you can switch to a competitor.
Had the security but cancelled it to cut costs. Bought a couple AR15s with the savings. :)
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Had the security but cancelled it to cut costs. Bought a couple AR15s with the savings. :)
Firearms are effective when you're at the residence, but burglaries occur when you're gone.

All you really need is the sign that says "Protected By ________" outside your home. They sell them on E-Bay. If that's not enough to stop them, then most likely the connected system wouldn't either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADT-SECURITY-A ... Sws65dpqhN

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:43 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Firearms are effective when you're at the residence, but burglaries occur when you're gone.

All you really need is the sign that says "Protected By ________" outside your home. They sell them on E-Bay. If that's not enough to stop them, then most likely the connected system wouldn't either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADT-SECURITY-A ... Sws65dpqhN
Either that I can just keep the signs that Comcast gave me, which I did.
dt