Ford and Locklear

Donn Beach

Re: Ford and Locklear

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 6:27 pm

But the thing is Garver is pretty much constantly injured. I don't think the issue is not letting Garver catch but deciding to go with a dh only player. With Garvers history of injuries that's what they decided to do. But now the issue isn't injuries, it's he's forgotten how to hit

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 6:29 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:27 pm
But the thing is Garver is pretty much constantly injured. I don't think the issue is not letting Garver catch but deciding to go with a dh only player. With Garvers history of injuries that's what they decided to do. But now the issue isn't injuries, it's he's forgotten how to hit
That's what I am saying. Dump Seby and have Garver catch which opens up a spot for a Bat. If Garver gets hurt who F-ing cares. Just bring up Hunt.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 6:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:23 pm
btw what hell is up with all the power outages.

2023 and 2024 HRs

Julio 31/1
Acuna 41/2
Torkelson 31/0
Raley 19/0
Torres 25/1
Carroll 25/1

TotaL 172/5
Took a look, Julio had six home runs by the 7th of May, so it's not a question of heating up later in the season

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:29 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
That's what I am saying. Dump Seby and have Garver catch which opens up a spot for a Bat. If Garver gets hurt who F-ing cares. Just bring up Hunt.
Who cares? I think Stanton and Dipoto care because they are paying him $12 mil. That's what I'm saying, they are paying him good money for his bat because he couldn't stay healthy as a catcher. See how the season goes, but I think they will stick to that gamble for now, not add injury risk on top of it

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 7:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:11 pm
Yeah, with 30 dh spots now I thought he would land a contract too. I'll give you my opinion, particularly since you say I never have one lol. I think I'm loaded with opinions. Often wrong but never in doubt. Anyway, I think it's a lack of versatility. They can like his bat but not enough to sign hom as a dh only player, and first base isn't special enough. He's seen as AAAA, if he could play some outfield we aren't having this conversation, he's in the majors.

What's interesting is the Mr versatility guy Dipoto goes and signs basically a dh only guy, go figure. And he still wasn't interested in Ford
I agree that he lacks flexibility. I just don't know why that's as important when the league is so starved for offense.

I long for the days where players just played 1 position. I don't see why Luke Raley is considered so valuable just because they can swing him from left to right to 1B. He's not valuable to me when he's slashing .224/.250/.276/.526...

To me, the hit tool should the most important tool of any position player maybe not named catcher.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 7:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:42 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:23 pm
btw what hell is up with all the power outages.

2023 and 2024 HRs

Julio 31/1
Acuna 41/2
Torkelson 31/0
Raley 19/0
Torres 25/1
Carroll 25/1

TotaL 172/5
Took a look, Julio had six home runs by the 7th of May, so it's not a question of heating up later in the season
He still just needs to hit six a month to match last season but he need to figure it the F out and NOW!!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 7:08 pm

Doesn't help that he is playing idiot baseball either...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 7:08 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:29 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Who cares? I think Stanton and Dipoto care because they are paying him $12 mil. That's what I'm saying, they are paying him good money for his bat because he couldn't stay healthy as a catcher. See how the season goes, but I think they will stick to that gamble for now, not add injury risk on top of it
Right. Making decisions for non baseball reasons as always.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 7:25 pm

My opinion, and this one is coming straight out of my ass. It's injuries of course. You want a guy that can cover multiple positions to allow for injuries. So what happened to make this an issue now. I'll say it's a lack of talent. Baseball is thinner now than it use to be talent wise. Young athletes have more options now. It's countered by the Latino influx but I'm sticking to it. I think it shows up in your minor leagues. You see it with pitching. I think it was easier to find decent replacement level players in the minors so it wasn't necessary for ML players to play multiple positions

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 8:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:25 pm
My opinion, and this one is coming straight out of my ass. It's injuries of course. You want a guy that can cover multiple positions to allow for injuries. So what happened to make this an issue now. I'll say it's a lack of talent. Baseball is thinner now than it use to be talent wise. Young athletes have more options now. It's countered by the Latino influx but I'm sticking to it. I think it shows up in your minor leagues. You see it with pitching. I think it was easier to find decent replacement level players in the minors so it wasn't necessary for ML players to play multiple positions
Yeah, I would agree there.

Baseball isn't anywhere near as popular as it once was to the youth of America. That and pitching is on a far more elite level than it ever was given the science surrounding spin and increasing velo.

But again, that would seem to make the hit tool far more valuable. I dono... I feel like the league follows trends... I'm looking for a team to break this trend.

Or MLB does something... they had juiced balls in the later 2010's... juice em again. Nobody finds 2-1 15 K performances on each side fun to watch.