BPJ's let's get Cole.

Hanjag

BPJ's let's get Cole.

Post by Hanjag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 am

Cole is a stud ERA+ in the 180's. He is 28, has maintained velocity like a Verlander.

I just need to see more studs potentials studs realized.

In the flip. There are not true Aces available every year.

The M's have a top 10 farm. Pieces are on the way.

Cole will cost 20 to 35 million per year, You don't want to sign that to be OK you want to get those guys to get you over the top. The last 30 - 40 games were actually important.

VBach: Early A.S. stud but last 2 months OPS in the .600s and .500s. You really have to question if he has value. I think so but only barely.

Catcher Omar 119 OPS+, Murphy 127 OPS+, and Nola 114 OPS+ are a bright spot.

Haniger has went from superstar to just a nice piece with the injury and tepid numbers.

Domigo has been down and up,

JP faded, Long, Lewis,

Sorry there just is not a lot I can be confident saying " yes count on that" about the M's.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Re: BPJ's let's get Cole.

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:24 pm

The A's have all stars in the infield with Olson and Chapman. Their shortstop has over 190 basehits this season.... top 5 total all time for Oakland. They have a shut down bullpen, and the strongest arm in baseball in centerfield. They will win a minimum of 97 games this year and they will host the AL wild card game next week. In short, they are young, talented and competitive, and, have less than 30 million committed next year ... they would hurt the Astros, weakening them while gaining one of their top starters... they're close to getting a new park... and they are in a position to go out and commit for a piece that could put them over the top....

The M's are nowhere close to this... they'd be rather stupid to pursue Cole at this time IMO.

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:15 pm

In what crazy universe would Cole come here?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Happy as hell wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:15 pm
In what crazy universe would Cole come here?
The same one that Robinson Canó lives in.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:53 pm

They have a farm and MLB assets to trade from. Pulling off a trade for one ace while signing another could be all that's needed, imo.

If they trim the dead weight, the Mariners would already be better offensively.

Sure, they could let these guys go another year getting used to losing and add on next offseason, I just dont see the point of not being as good as possible as soon as possible.

Not like we can just plan on the other teams getting worse in a few years and act like that'll be our window.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm

Don't rush things.... that's how you get in traffic accidents or ruin guys like Mike Zunino, ..... we really don't know what we have besides flexibility... why remove that right now? You think you can get good in one year? Good luck with that philosophy here..... you sound like Armstrong hiring Bavasi or signing Jose Vidro to dh.... Christ

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm
Don't rush things.... that's how you get in traffic accidents or ruin guys like Mike Zunino, ..... we really don't know what we have besides flexibility... why remove that right now? You think you can get good in one year? Good luck with that philosophy here..... you sound like Armstrong hiring Bavasi or signing Jose Vidro to dh.... Christ
Oh, and our farm is currently rated #8 in value..... highest it's been in a couple decades I believe... but that's just a rating... I can see some trades coming... but prudence would be to continue to unload veteran talent and continue to build the farm next year.... The Astros got Springer, Correa, and Bregman in different drafts..plus signing Altuve as a 16 year old International. They lost over 300 games in 3 years... and their farm is currently rated above ours.... but you think we can compete long term in one year???

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 pm

I think adding four good or better players over the next two seasons would put us on a great course. I dont think this offseason is too early to sign a guy entering his prime, no.

I'd add two this offseason and go from there. See if you can't fill two major spots internally.

I'm assuming SP 3-5 are filled internally and the entire bullpen would be cheap and internal.

I think cutting underperformers like Mallex, Dee, Leblanc, Milone, etc. and adding fits like Lewis, White, Long, Nola who are better than the guy before but not irreplaceable if the young studs come knocking, is a good idea.

I gotta be honest, I don't hate our chances next season if all they do is subtract Dee Gordon and Mallex Smith and insert
Gerrit Cole or similar and infill behind Long and Nola.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 am

Long 2B
Haniger CF
Seager 3B
Murphy C
Narvaez DH
Nola/Vogelbach 1B
Santana RF/DH
Lewis LF
Crawford SS

UTIL Moore
26th man Bishop- late inning defensive replacement to move Haniger off CF once our bats secure a late lead.

Cole
Gonzales
Kikuchi
Sheffield
Dunn

It's not an obvious threat like the Astros, but I have no doubt our team is significantly better the next three seasons with Cole on it (and not on the Astros). Worst case is he becomes Felix in our next rebuild. But, Dipoto should be much more worried about the next three seasons than 7 years from now, imo. I know I am.

The point of the strong system would be to bring the young guys up to supplement what you have, or replace what's leaving.

In order for this team to become a winner at any point, they'll have to infuse some talent. Add 4 good players and we're contenders. Why wait? Let the kids come up and fill the gaps when they're ready, don't wait for them.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:30 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm
AT Fresno wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm
Oh, and our farm is currently rated #8 in value..... highest it's been in a couple decades I believe... but that's just a rating... I can see some trades coming... but prudence would be to continue to unload veteran talent and continue to build the farm next year.... The Astros got Springer, Correa, and Bregman in different drafts..plus signing Altuve as a 16 year old International. They lost over 300 games in 3 years... and their farm is currently rated above ours.... but you think we can compete long term in one year???
No, but getting Cole is not just strictly about next year...it is about the other 5-6 years of the contract. It is about having a true ace...someone to bring that post season mentality to the M's. It is a very rare opportunity to get such an arm by only dealing cash away. This does not in anyway diminish or slow up anyone from getting to the majors....as a matter of fact it shows that we are serious about competing every year.