BPJ's let's get Cole.

Dr Naysay

Re: BPJ's let's get Cole.

Post by Dr Naysay » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 am

Really a moot point though isn't it. I mean two things have to happen:

1. Jerry has to change his mind because he has now said three times we aren't getting anyone high priced this season coming

and

2. If Jerry did want him we have to hope he is especially money hungry because I am not sure the hard sell of "We might be good if our prospects pan out so bear with us till we work it all out." would go down very well.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:34 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:35 am
Sodomojo takes about the rebuild and compares it to the Reds. I like what the reds have done Pitching wise, and hope the Mariners do similar. First, they won't ot and got a bounce back guy in Sonny Grey, who was great for them this year, then they went out and got their ace in Bauer. They weren't contending this year, but saw an opportunity to get their guy. Had to give up their top prospect(#30 overall, but had been pretty meh so far in the minors).

I hope the Mariners do something similar, at least with finding a bounce back pitcher like Gray. Maybe they can trade Mitch and a minor leaguer for an ace?
Sorry but realllly??? You are compaing Gerrit Cole with Trevor Bauer???? That is like comparing me with Cindy Crawford. In what way is Trevor Bauer a #1? Now Cincy may not have had to pay a lot for him but why do you think that is???...BECAUSE HE IS NOT THAT GOOD. He had one good year and that was 2018...beyond that bupkis. I am for Cole because he costs you nothing but money. There are only 2 arms better than Cole's arm ....one is Verlander's pitching arm....and the other is Verlander's other arm wrapped around Kate Upton.

For once I agree with Bpj....sign some Free agents to short deals except for Cole....don't deal youngen's quite yet....and teach the youngen's how to win
Hey at least you're right for once.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
Sodomojo takes about the rebuild and compares it to the Reds. I like what the reds have done Pitching wise, and hope the Mariners do similar. First, they won't ot and got a bounce back guy in Sonny Grey, who was great for them this year, then they went out and got their ace in Bauer. They weren't contending this year, but saw an opportunity to get their guy. Had to give up their top prospect(#30 overall, but had been pretty meh so far in the minors).

I hope the Mariners do something similar, at least with finding a bounce back pitcher like Gray. Maybe they can trade Mitch and a minor leaguer for an ace?
Sorry but realllly??? You are compaing Gerrit Cole with Trevor Bauer???? That is like comparing me with Cindy Crawford. In what way is Trevor Bauer a #1? Now Cincy may not have had to pay a lot for him but why do you think that is???...BECAUSE HE IS NOT THAT GOOD. He had one good year and that was 2018...beyond that bupkis. I am for Cole because he costs you nothing but money. There are only 2 arms better than Cole's arm ....one is Verlander's pitching arm....and the other is Verlander's other arm wrapped around Kate Upton.

For once I agree with Bpj....sign some Free agents to short deals except for Cole....don't deal youngen's quite yet....and teach the youngen's how to win
No, I did not compare the 2. Cole isn't happening as much as you hope for it. I could see a scenario similar to what the Reds did happening though.

I don't know how I feel about trading for a starter. I guess that depends on who is traded. I don't want Julio, Kelenic, Kirby, Gilbert, Marte, or Raleigh traded. If they traded anyone else I wouldn't be too upset if the return was right.

I do think the bounce back candidate could very well come through free agency. I could also see a guy like Fraley being traded for a minor league pitcher that is ready from a team that may not have a spot for him in their rotation.

You guys can keep talking about Cole, but I see that as less than 1%chance of happening, so I'll talk about actual scenarios that I think are possible.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm
Bil522 wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

No, I did not compare the 2. Cole isn't happening as much as you hope for it. I could see a scenario similar to what the Reds did happening though.

I don't know how I feel about trading for a starter. I guess that depends on who is traded. I don't want Julio, Kelenic, Kirby, Gilbert, Marte, or Raleigh traded. If they traded anyone else I wouldn't be too upset if the return was right.

I do think the bounce back candidate could very well come through free agency. I could also see a guy like Fraley being traded for a minor league pitcher that is ready from a team that may not have a spot for him in their rotation.

You guys can keep talking about Cole, but I see that as less than 1%chance of happening, so I'll talk about actual scenarios that I think are possible.
We all know Jerry uses this forum to get ideas for his job. Heck, he has Darren and Terry on speedial.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:18 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:02 am
Yeah, that was a good point about the Phillies trying to buy their way to the top and failing badly, but a guy like Cole is someone you'd love to have blocking a roster spot, which he wouldn't be doing anyway.
Cole is only 11 months older than Trout.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:18 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Yeah, that was a good point about the Phillies trying to buy their way to the top and failing badly, but a guy like Cole is someone you'd love to have blocking a roster spot, which he wouldn't be doing anyway.
It's the thing that sets Cole apart from other waste of space veteran stopgaps. Well, age and the fact that Cole has talent.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:46 pm

As far as Trevor Bauer, he has the stuff to be a #1, and has proven he is capable at times. He is volatile and a headcase, but if you can get him properly motivated, he could definitely be a #1 pitcher. Could be even better in the NL.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:36 pm

bpj wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:18 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
It's the thing that sets Cole apart from other waste of space veteran stopgaps. Well, age and the fact that Cole has talent.
I was thinking about Angel fans complaining that Trout was blocking a roster spot given they are basically rebuilding as well. :)
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 pm

Good point!

Personally I don't like wasting seasons when there is no reason to waste it. Not at least giving them an opportunity to not suck next year is wasting another season of Haniger, Santana, Gonzales, and really all of them considering it's a wasted season with the young guys on the roster.

If they added an SP1 and SP2, played Long and Nola all season in place of Mallex and Dee in the lineup, we're a pretty darn good team.

Some of the things that appear to make us so bad are sticking with guys like Dee at 2B when Long could be out there, Mallex in CF because the good players were injured, etc.

I don't think we're an under .500 team as we sit if they don't do stupid things. Bring up the young, good relievers. Cut the dead weight of Mallex and Dee and fill in at the top of the roster instead of the bottom.

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:31 pm

I know that most of the people who post here are die hard M's fans.

Nevertheless, reality is often an ugly concept. For example, the M's organization is so far from being competitive that a flyer on an expensive Cole would be ludicrous. Way too many parts missing. Plus, the young guys, really haven't proven they can be solid everyday players. For example: SS Crawford batted in the .220's and had way too many errors in the field. Yes, Lewis did something impressive initially, but it is something he never did in the minors. As the season ended, he had tailed off. How about Sheffield and Dunn? Are they ready? You tell me... Then there is Jack Fraley... talk about botching a golden opportunity. I just don't see making a significant investment in Cole. He wouldn't be interested in joining a losing organization, unless it involved an inordinate amount of cash beyond what other better organizations would offer up.