BPJ's let's get Cole.

D-train

Re: BPJ's let's get Cole.

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 pm
The M's won 68 games this year. Cole is a 7 War player. If Hanniger comes back from injury and is the player he was that's 5ish more War and all of the sudden the team is in the ball park of .500 without any improvement from the young guys. Its going to be a whole lot easier to build on things for 2021 coming off a semi competitive .500 type season than it would be coming off a a 70 win season.

I would agree that its not something that Dipoto will do. But it is something that should be given strong consideration. As for the why would he sign with us argument, Money Talks. Bryce Harper signed with Philly coming off their 6th consecutive losing season and Manny Machado signed with the Padres who probably rival us as a franchise that epitomizes mediocrity.
This is how I see it as well. But I am sure one of JDs selling points of the rebuild was that he wouldn't need to risk Cano/Felix situations with mega contracts so he is going to sign back end starters and relievers on 1 year deals.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm

That's exactly how I see it.

I know Dipotos dumbass won't do it obviously.

But waiting for 2020 to play out for a draft pick and punting the season when we're obviously much better than we ended 2019 is stupid.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:37 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm

But waiting for 2020 to play out for a draft pick and punting the season when we're obviously much better than we ended 2019 is stupid.
Especially dumb since we signed KK to a long term significant deal LAST off season because he was Japanese.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:39 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Hopefully its not because JD is dumb. I would like to think that if the Stanton came to him and asked about signing Cole, he would recommend it but who knows.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:29 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 pm
The M's won 68 games this year. Cole is a 7 War player. If Hanniger comes back from injury and is the player he was that's 5ish more War and all of the sudden the team is in the ball park of .500 without any improvement from the young guys. Its going to be a whole lot easier to build on things for 2021 coming off a semi competitive .500 type season than it would be coming off a a 70 win season.

I would agree that its not something that Dipoto will do. But it is something that should be given strong consideration. As for the why would he sign with us argument, Money Talks. Bryce Harper signed with Philly coming off their 6th consecutive losing season and Manny Machado signed with the Padres who probably rival us as a franchise that epitomizes mediocrity.
This is how I see it as well. But I am sure one of JDs selling points of the rebuild was that he wouldn't need to risk Cano/Felix situations with mega contracts so he is going to sign back end starters and relievers on 1 year deals.
From a competitive standpoint, what is the point in shedding payroll if you aren't going to eventually use it on something. Wev'e got basically 100 Million to spend just to get back to where the payroll was a couple of years ago. You are not going to use that up on 1 year reclamation projects. Eventually if you want to make an impact in free agency you are going to have to spring for a big contract that's just how the game works. The thing you have to do is judge when is the right time when you can get the player that will help you the most. Personally I think Cole is a better player than anything that will be available in the next couple of years. I fear that JD will wait and end up overpaying for a lesser player because he feels he has to do something to bolster the rebuild. I say be smart about it and pick your player and your time so that you don't get forced into doing something for the sake of doing something and end up with deals you regret later ala Carlos Silva, Erik Bedard etc.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Agree 1000%
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:36 pm

So you all think Dipoto's major move this winter should be a bidding war for the Number one free agent pitcher... ?????

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:39 pm

A last place “step back” team in a very strong division with a bunch of yet-to-be-proven rookies gets into a bidding war with the big guys for the numero uno free agent pitcher? Insanity.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Offer what you think is reasonable and let the chips fall where they may. No reason to pay more than he is worth. Its all moot. JD is probably looking to bring back Milone and Nicasio.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:36 pm
So you all think Dipoto's major move this winter should be a bidding war for the Number one free agent pitcher... ?????
I think if they are ever going to supplement the roster in free agency it should be at the top of the food chain, not the bottom.

Stars and Scrubs baby, as Doc used to say.

Our team as we sit going into 2020 would be a contender next season if we added 3 stars, even making $30M each (not that we should) and we'd only be over the normal budget for one season.

It has nothing to do with letting these guys develop, it's having the right guys on the roster when it all comes together. If that's supposed to be any time in the next 5 years, yeah, I'll take Cole.

I'd rather have the right mix of players added over the next two or three offseasons than whatever ragtag bunch of Aokis and Mileys he can cobble together in the final offseason before he's planning on contention.