Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

D-train

Re: Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am
Cole was mad that he didnt get put in the game. In his mind he was finishing it out.
“I was upset, and my tone did not come off quite the way I wanted it to. One win away. We had the lead with eight outs to go. It’s just a tough pill to swallow.”
Hard to disagree with him. Fortunately it looks like his time as an Astro is over.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/ ... uture.html
Yeah, that's what I thought it had to be and then Hinch comes up with some nonsense about them never being in position to win so they didn't need him. I totally give him a pass. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Lamda wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 am
I'd still sign Cole. We need pitching plain and simple. At some point we have to start signing people that will be part of the long term solution for this team and a legit #1 starter would go a long way. He should be that for 5-7 years so if he piddles around for a year or two its not a big deal.
I am really starting to lose sight of the other side of this argument. But instead we are going to go out and replace Le Blanc with more flotsam and jetsam.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:32 pm
bpj wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am
Cole was mad that he didnt get put in the game. In his mind he was finishing it out.
“I was upset, and my tone did not come off quite the way I wanted it to. One win away. We had the lead with eight outs to go. It’s just a tough pill to swallow.”
Hard to disagree with him. Fortunately it looks like his time as an Astro is over.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/ ... uture.html
Okay, he's showing some remorse for his tone.... Good enough for me... Break out the checkbook Jerry. Cole can get revenge on Hinch by pitching in the division. He will have the high salary, but maybe also a chip on his shoulder to get back to WS and win it.
Right on. And I hope you have already started your off season workout program!!! :) Meat, nuts, verggies and 3 hours of cardio a day!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:09 pm
well i think Jerry is going to keep his checkbook firmly in his back pocket this off season
I would be fine if he did that but he will waste cash on more garbage. Lower the floor. :roll: :roll: :roll:
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm

so does Dipoto know what he is doing with his rebuild or not?...seems like half the time you support it and half the time you rip it

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm
so does Dipoto know what he is doing with his rebuild or not?...seems like half the time you support it and half the time you rip it
I have supported it so far but now it seems he is being influenced by ownership to pretend he is trying to win in 2020.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:52 pm

what makes you say that?...my feeling is he is they are laying the ground work where the owners do not have to spend much, wait and let the farm do the heavy lifting. He has already said not to expect much spending in FA. I don't think they feel any great need to add to the payroll and so they won't. They will sign some short term contracts, but i don't see what difference that means. I know bpj gets into that, but i don't agree. Signing three pitchers for $30 mil next season has nothing to do with offering Cole a 10 year $300 mil contract

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:52 pm
what makes you say that?...my feeling is he is they are laying the ground work where the owners do not have to spend much, wait and let the farm do the heavy lifting. He has already said not to expect much spending in FA. I don't think they feel any great need to add to the payroll and so they won't. They will sign some short term contracts, but i don't see what difference that means. I know bpj gets into that, but i don't agree. Signing three pitchers for $30 mil next season has nothing to do with offering Cole a 10 year $300 mil contract
Its more the philosophy vs. the tactics. They say they want to solidify the rotation with some "proven" starters. What they really mean is they are going to sign guys that have proven they suck just because they have big league experience. Just let some lost souls from AAA or Indy leagues pitch. Who knows maybe a pitching version of Murphy or Nola will rise to the occasion.

Save the money for when they are ready to spend or shift it to the operational budget and cut ticket or beer prices. Don't waste on garbage that best case lowers you draft position by a spot or two.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm

They say they want to solidify the rotation with some "proven" starters.
where did they say that?...I do get the feeling Dipoto could tend toward the uniform valued rotation and a solid bullpen...heck its what the Yankees did isn't it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
They say they want to solidify the rotation with some "proven" starters.
where did they say that?...I do get the feeling Dipoto could tend toward the uniform valued rotation and a solid bullpen...heck its what the Yankees did isn't it.
Dude I read every recorded word that JD states so don't ask me where they said it. If you think I am lying then google it. I will post it this time since I have it handy after tweeting it last night:
“We’ll look to address some of the starting rotation,” Dipoto said. “We’re going to go into this season with probably one, maybe two pitchers on the free-agent market who may not be here right now.”
As for the bullpen, oh goody is he going to go find us another Nicasio or Zipchin or Zac freakin Rosscup. Just go with what we have FFS.
dt