Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

Juliooooo

Re: Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:36 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:15 pm
It's not a big deal until you have 5 or 6 of them and they're all terrible, and for the same money you could have gotten a star.

That's been Dipotos M.O. all along. Spread the money around on trash instead of dedicating it to a player that actually adds value over replacement level.
OK, so who in the last year has Dipoto brought in that cost the Mariners money? He was bringing in guys 2 years ago, because he was trying to win, but almost every move he's made has cut salaries the last 2 years. Mariners signed Strickland to 1.3 million last year, and probably paid him about 1 million. Most of the other trades for guys making money were cost cutting trade, like the trade that brought in Bruce, Encarnacion, etc...
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:23 pm

He didnt make the same stupid mistakes last year like he did every previous season with Benoit, Zipchinski, Nicasio, etc. alongside bums like Wade Miley and Nori Aoki.

Fortunately he probably won't follow what Gorgon's saying this year either.

Don't waste payroll on bad relievers. It's stupid.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:24 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:44 pm
I think the bullpen is a fair place to bring in vets, i don't agree that some guy in AA with a decent slash line equates with an actual ML ballplayer. We will see what they do but if they are going to go with a relatively young starting rotation, having some vets in the BP doesn't seem that terrible a thing to me, taking the pressure off the starters or whatever. I am one that gives value to experience, not sure it be a good idea to stock your BP with minor league ballplayers..but we shall see
So the plan JD put forth is to play the kids.....except for the bullpen??? Weird plan.
well, I could see a starting rotation of rookies over a bp of rookies

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 am

Here were last years FAs and WAR salary

11/9/18 Seattle Mariners signed free agent 3B Dylan Moore. 0.4 $600k

11/15/18 Seattle Mariners signed free agent R.J. Alaniz. -0.2 $600k

12/20/18 Seattle Mariners signed free agent LHP Zac Rosscup 0.1 600k

1/2/19 Seattle Mariners signed free agent LHP Yusei Kikuchi. 0.2 10MM

1/10/19 Seattle Mariners signed free agent SS Tim Beckham. 0.4 1.75 MM

1/10/19 Seattle Mariners signed free agent RHP Cory Gearrin 0.3 1.5MM

1/27/19 Seattle Mariners signed RHP Hunter Strickland. -0.1 1.3MM

Grand total of 1.1 WAR for $16.5MM and JD probably thought he was so clever and prudent with all of these savvy moves. lol

Even if you take away KK you have 6 guys not even being about to muster 1 WAR for almost $7MM. Its almost comical.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 am

Grand total of 1.1 WAR for $16.5MM and JD probably thought he was so clever and prudent with all of these savvy moves. lol

Even if you take away KK you have 6 guys not even being about to muster 1 WAR for almost $7MM. Its almost comical.
I don't know if you really add the minimum Salaries. For 1, Alzniz didn't stay on the roster near long enough to make 600 K, and second, if they aren't on the roster, then another rookie will be on the roster making 600 K. Its really what they paid over 600 K thats actually relevant, so you can basically take about 4 million off your total. Gearrin probably only played about half the year, right, and beckham/Strickland 2/3, so thats another approx 900K you take off your total.

All you really see is that Kikuchi was a bad signing at 10 M, and Strickland didn't do much in terms of WAR, but he did bring back some prospects, so he wasn't a bad signing either.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 am
D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 am

I don't know if you really add the minimum Salaries. For 1, Alzniz didn't stay on the roster near long enough to make 600 K, and second, if they aren't on the roster, then another rookie will be on the roster making 600 K. Its really what they paid over 600 K thats actually relevant, so you can basically take about 4 million off your total. Gearrin probably only played about half the year, right, and beckham/Strickland 2/3, so thats another approx 900K you take off your total.

All you really see is that Kikuchi was a bad signing at 10 M.
That is my point though. They could have done absolutely nothing and would have saved time and money and would have been at least as good a team as they ended up being. If they sign FAs this season then they will need to keep them on the roster at least until the AS break or JD will have to tip toe into Stanton's office to ask pretty please if its ok to DFA a guy he just wasted millions on a few months earlier.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:27 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 am

That is my point though. They could have done absolutely nothing and would have saved time and money and would have been at least as good a team as they ended up being. If they sign FAs this season then they will need to keep them on the roster at least until the AS break or JD will have to tip toe into Stanton's office to ask pretty please if its ok to DFA a guy he just wasted millions on a few months earlier.
Sometimes its about lines in the water though. Who would have guessed that Hunter Strickland would be injured all year and bring back a top 25 prospect. Thats insane. If its not costing you much, I'm not going to fret about giving players a chance. There will be enough movement in the bullpen that they won't be blocking any of the young guys in the minors.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am

isn't a WAR worth about $7 mil?...$7 mil is pretty much a drop in the bucket in terms of ML spending Not sure what you mean by doing nothing, they do have to run players out there, they are gonna cost something.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am
isn't a WAR worth about $7 mil?...$7 mil is pretty much a drop in the bucket in terms of ML spending Not sure what you mean by doing nothing, they do have to run players out there, they are gonna cost something.
We have 40 men on the 40 man roster. That's enough to field a 26 man active roster. I like our first move of signing the Ranger castoff, the oil man Phillips Valdez. Those are the types that can fill out the roster if we are not going to sign good players. Just sign guys with catchy names.
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am
We have 40 men on the 40 man roster. That's enough to field a 26 man active roster. I like our first move of signing the Ranger castoff, the oil man Phillips Valdez. Those are the types that can fill out the roster if we are not going to sign good players. Just sign guys with catchy names.
Looking at our coaching additions, primarily the younger guys from within our system, I'd say the M's are confident about holding places open for the guys coming up. Woodworth knows the young guys from advanced league to AA having worked with them so they young pitchers rising to the MLB level will find a familiar face coming to Seattle in Wordworth along with Carson Vitale who was the minor league coordinator last year. I think this shows the M's are confident about their procedures throughout the system and really have a plan. Same with our new hitting coach..... these aren't "good ole' boys" that don't know how to use an "I-pad".... they know how to apply technology, they are able to communicate to young guys cause they are close to their generation, they know how to evaluate "spin rates" and "launch angles".... This is way out of my league as a fossil fan, but I'm pleased they seem to be moving on with what appears to be a "plan" and a singular approach.