Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

IStillLoveTheMs

Re: Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:08 am

If we go out and sign a pitcher like Cole we're gonna have to trade Marco or Kikuchi at some point. Issue is Marco is like a really quality 3 or 4 and is under years of control... other issue is for Kikuchi to be tradeable at his salary he's going to have to have a big rebound year, then do we really want to trade him if he does? If he doesn't... we're stuck with him.

Dunn, Sheffield, Gilbert, Kirby presents a log jam in itself by the time 2021 rolls around.

You def want a pitcher like Cole to lead this rotation when it's time to contend... but then you look at Houston who acquired vets and Whitley has been rotting in the minors for forever... I guess that's the choice you make. But do we want to do that to the arms we're hoping pan out? Idk.

If I had my unrealistic way I'd trade Marco + Kikuchi for bullpen arms... sign Cole and Paxton... then go with who I think are the potential strongest arms.

1. Cole
2. Paxton
3. Gilbert
4. Sheffield
5. Kirby

Dunn to the bullpen as a shutdown 8th or closer.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:08 am
If we go out and sign a pitcher like Cole we're gonna have to trade Marco or Kikuchi at some point. Issue is Marco is like a really quality 3 or 4 and is under years of control... other issue is for Kikuchi to be tradeable at his salary he's going to have to have a big rebound year, then do we really want to trade him if he does? If he doesn't... we're stuck with him.

Dunn, Sheffield, Gilbert, Kirby presents a log jam in itself by the time 2021 rolls around.

You def want a pitcher like Cole to lead this rotation when it's time to contend... but then you look at Houston who acquired vets and Whitley has been rotting in the minors for forever... I guess that's the choice you make. But do we want to do that to the arms we're hoping pan out? Idk.

If I had my unrealistic way I'd trade Marco + Kikuchi for bullpen arms... sign Cole and Paxton... then go with who I think are the potential strongest arms.

1. Cole
2. Paxton
3. Gilbert
4. Sheffield
5. Kirby

Dunn to the bullpen as a shutdown 8th or closer.
The last thing we should be expending lives or treasure on is BP arms. We have about a dozen guys in the system that could be good MLB relievers. I obviously am not for Paxton either. It is silly to talk about it as I have been because it isn't happening but signing Cole would result in this rotation by mid season. Trade KK for a BP piece if next off season if you want. And if Kirby can displace Sheff or Dunn even better.

Cole
Gilbert
Marco
Sheff
Dunn
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:25 pm

what difference does it make if they sign BP arms or not, its not like that money would go towards building a championship team someday in the future, or do you think they should try and tank the season?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:25 pm
what difference does it make if they sign BP arms or not, its not like that money would go towards building a championship team someday in the future, or do you think they should try and tank the season?
Fair point. But it just tells me they care more about PR than actually acting like a team with a primary goal of winning a WS. No way they are going to sign BP arms that are discernibly better in terms of wins than what we have now. I like that we kept some sort of core unlike the Astros that tore it down to the studs but making an effort to sign guys to FA contracts to win a couple more games is nonsensical and not doing isn't tanking its giving guys that have a chance to be a part of the 2021-23 teams a chance.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:44 pm

I think the bullpen is a fair place to bring in vets, i don't agree that some guy in AA with a decent slash line equates with an actual ML ballplayer. We will see what they do but if they are going to go with a relatively young starting rotation, having some vets in the BP doesn't seem that terrible a thing to me, taking the pressure off the starters or whatever. I am one that gives value to experience, not sure it be a good idea to stock your BP with minor league ballplayers..but we shall see

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:55 am

speaking of bullpens...
Marly Rivera
ESPN Writer

Jeff Passan reports closer Aroldis Chapman has reached a new deal with the Yankees, adding an extra year at $18 million on top of the two years, $30 million remaining on his deal. The deal will keep Chapman with the Yankees through the 2022 season.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:44 pm
I think the bullpen is a fair place to bring in vets, i don't agree that some guy in AA with a decent slash line equates with an actual ML ballplayer. We will see what they do but if they are going to go with a relatively young starting rotation, having some vets in the BP doesn't seem that terrible a thing to me, taking the pressure off the starters or whatever. I am one that gives value to experience, not sure it be a good idea to stock your BP with minor league ballplayers..but we shall see
The bullpen would be the last place they should waste a single dollar if they're not going to try and improve anywhere else. What a waste.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
So the plan JD put forth is to play the kids.....except for the bullpen??? Weird plan.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:24 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
So the plan JD put forth is to play the kids.....except for the bullpen??? Weird plan.
I think the idea would be to play the kids in earlier innings to get experience and have a vet or 2 for the late innings. Pitching the 9th inning in a 1 run game is not something you expect many guys to jump into like Diaz, he was special and I don't think we have a Diaz in the minors right now (Dunn is probably the closest thing, but he's going to get a chance to start).

Tua could probably close, but I think I like him now as a 7-8 inning guy. That leaves Wissler?!? You want him closing?

I think bringing in a vet or 2 makes some sense as long as it's 1-2 years and under 5 million. 5 million is really not a big deal. They probably won't even pay all that because they will be trade bait at the deadline.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:15 pm

It's not a big deal until you have 5 or 6 of them and they're all terrible, and for the same money you could have gotten a star.

That's been Dipotos M.O. all along. Spread the money around on trash instead of dedicating it to a player that actually adds value over replacement level.