Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

Donn Beach

Re: Cole wears a Boras hat in interview after game 7.

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:57 pm

don't think you are lying, trying to understand what Dipoto would be getting at. They sign FAs every season, next season is going to be a throw away, they have already said they do not plan to spend much in FA over the winter. I could see them signing somebody to fill out the rotation. So in your mind they should either sign a top tier pitcher or nobody at all?

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Personally I don't see Cole signing with a losing franchise. On the other hand if we have the budget to pick up a great pitcher then we should go after it aggressively. You just can't count on what's going to be available in the future. We have a few potential "that guy" s at positions but not really when it comes to pitchers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 pm
Personally I don't see Cole signing with a losing franchise. On the other hand if we have the budget to pick up a great pitcher then we should go after it aggressively. You just can't count on what's going to be available in the future. We have a few potential "that guy" s at positions but not really when it comes to pitchers.
I think the Angels are the front runner despite being a losing team.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:47 am

That was pretty classless.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:10 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 pm
I think the Angels are the front runner despite being a losing team.
People said that about Cano too and we got him. Of course we had to blow the competition out of the water by like 70 mill and we'll have to do the same thing here - as the reality is Money talks. If for example, his offers are 10 years 300mill and we offer 10 years 400 mill - he's going to sign with us. We all think if we suck nobody will come here even if we overpay or if we are good that players will take a discount to play for us - reality is money talks 99% of the time.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:13 pm
Lamda wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 am
I'd still sign Cole. We need pitching plain and simple. At some point we have to start signing people that will be part of the long term solution for this team and a legit #1 starter would go a long way. He should be that for 5-7 years so if he piddles around for a year or two its not a big deal.
I am really starting to lose sight of the other side of this argument. But instead we are going to go out and replace Le Blanc with more flotsam and jetsam.
Yeah the only issue with Cole and the M's is its really a year too soon. Had this been next year I could see us really going after him but this year is going to be another throw-away year. We'll sign a few people to hold down the fort and then we start bringing in a lot of our hot prospects by the summer. If we sign Cole, which i'd be all for, he will literally piddle around and make paper mache animals for 2 years until he finds himself in any meaningful games.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Forget Cole, Develop the Farm, For Once.

If he’s pouting about the Astros, imagine his reaction in re this great organization, struggling to win 12 or 13, with no defense, baserunning, or a bullpen.

The guy will implode!

10 years, $300 mil?

Not the way to go.

Putting this brat on a team that hardly handles the fundamentals, is an Exercise in Futility.

Like having one of those car ads, where a sexy lady sits on the hood of a Clunker!

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Not sure I see Cole imploding. The dude is 28 and throws 100 MPH... He's 35 and 10 over the last 2 years with an ERA around 2.67. It seems he's really figured it out over the last couple years how to pitch at an elite level in this league.

In his career he's made less money pitching than Zack Grienke made last season.

He's due an ass ton of money and the Astros were getting an steal only paying him $20 million over 2 seasons to pitch like that.

I bet he's pissed he didn't get a contract extension after last year. I would be.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm
Not sure I see Cole imploding. The dude is 28 and throws 100 MPH... He's 35 and 10 over the last 2 years with an ERA around 2.67. It seems he's really figured it out over the last couple years how to pitch at an elite level in this league.

He's due an ass ton of money and the Astros were getting an steal only paying him $20 million over 2 seasons to pitch like that.

I bet he's pissed he didn't get a contract extension after last year. I would be.
35-10 with the Astros=24-21 here, for $60+ Mil.

That’s crazy.

Besides, this team will be lucky to beat out the Rangers for 4th place the next few years.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:08 am

Hy Feiber wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm

35-10 with the Astros=24-21 here, for $60+ Mil.

That’s crazy.

Besides, this team will be lucky to beat out the Rangers for 4th place the next few years.
It will be a very different team in a few years.....
dt