Johns OD roster predictions

Donn Beach

Re: Johns OD roster predictions

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:43 pm

how are fans eating it up?...their attendance and TV viewership dropped by huge percentages.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:43 pm
how are fans eating it up?...their attendance and TV viewership dropped by huge percentages.
By going along with the idea that they need to be bad in 2020.

The only things that are making the Mariners bad is playing Mallex Smith and Dee Gordon instead of Shed Long and Lewis/Haniger/Santana in the outfield and going along with the idea of adding a couple non roster invitees or cheap signings like Tommy Milone and Wade Leblanc instead of signing a quality pitcher like Zach Wheeler and a trade for another guy with a couple years left that could be flipped if not useful.

Mallex/Gordon/Milone/Leblanc is their plan. It shouldn't be. That creates an obvious loser when there is zero reason to have an obvious loser in 2020.

Long > 2B.
Haniger > CF
Get two pitchers that are good instead of bad.

They're setting the young guys up to be losers by forcing them to be losers.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

It doesn't matter, none of it matters, half the clubs in baseball now are in "rebuild mode", its because they can cut their payroll and allow their revenues to fall but the model still works, they still make money. It doesn't matter what fans think one way or the other. Sure, this is about sucking for a season so they can compete in 2021. But if they go anther five seasons without making the playoffs you think it really makes a difference? Like the Mariners are going to go bankrupt or something? It is a model that goes on and on whether they decide to suck or decide not to suck. There is nothing about this model that promotes winning, sure there are franchises that win, but i think that is driven by the personalities in charge rather than their being some sort of incentive to do it.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm

There you go, eating it up.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:11 pm

what is the incentive for them to try and compete sooner rather than later? Why should they invest in $500 mil in players to try and be competitive? What is your sale pitch?

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Stop sucking.

I don't seriously think theyll go after Cole. I just think they could, and it could be worth it by not sucking sooner rather than later.

There are 100 ways they could improve on a much lower payroll than they've been at.

Number 1 is just stop playing the guys who are dragging the team down.

MLBTraderumors lists Wade Miley as a potential place holder. If they're going to waste time like that, they can eff off. That's where I stand on it.

I'm ok with playing the kids, but if they're going to fill spots with trash, it won't be acceptable to me.
Last edited by bpj on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Sure, appeal to the ego of an owner. I think that is what drove baseball. Now the ownership model has changed. Perhaps the Mariners are becoming well run, so they may stop sucking. But I do not think there is a particular urgency to it, heck they been sucking for 20 years. The model has changed, corporate ownership, revenue sharing streams, broadcasting revenue. Sure, the Mariner owners want to compete, they envision a professional organization, but there is no hurry

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 pm
Sure, appeal to the ego of an owner. I think that is what drove baseball. Now the ownership model has changed. Perhaps the Mariners are becoming well run, so they may stop sucking. But I do not think there is a particular urgency to it, heck they been sucking for 20 years. The model has changed, corporate ownership, revenue sharing streams, broadcasting revenue. Sure, the Mariner owners want to compete, they envision a professional organization, but there is no hurry
I know you don't.

Because you exemplify this beta, scarf-wearing fanbase who demands zero accountability.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm

how do you demand accountability? Talk shit on a forum?...lol

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:47 pm

in fact here is an article on it from January, the author thinks the model isn't sustainable, we shall see. The money they make is less and less tied to winning. Its kind of hard to demand accountability these days when the team doesn't need to win to make money
Major League Baseball is making money hand over fist these days, it’s true, but it does not strike me that it’s doing so in a sustainable fashion. The league increasingly relies on sources of income that have little or no connection to clubs putting entertaining and competitive baseball teams on the field and, in some cases, have no connection to the playing of actual baseball games at all. While those incentives are working for MLB at the moment, they could go away more quickly than the powers that be might think. If that happens — and if major league clubs continue to see fielding winning and entertaining teams as an unnecessary component of their mission statement — the game could find itself in serious trouble.
Which, hey, who doesn’t want to make more money? Money isn’t the issue as such, of course. The issue is that this is money going into the pockets of team owners regardless of what happens on the field with any of their specific teams. It’s not money gained from winning baseball games, from attracting baseball fans in the hope of winning baseball games or, in many cases, from even the simple transaction of buying advertising time. It’s money gained from either a side business — BamTech — or from being, broadly, a big brand with which companies have chosen to partner for far more nebulous reasons than the association with the product on the field. No one gets pumped up by a big Brewers win and goes out and buys a NewRelic.
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/a- ... -revenues/