Trader Jerry gets us a pitcher

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Nestor Cortes Jr from the Yankees for International bonus money

89.5 mph fastball............that’s about it

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... iners.html

DavidGee24

Re: Trader Jerry gets us a pitcher

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 pm

Wow, the Yankees actually let him wear the pinstripes for 67 innings? He was AWFUL.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 pm
Wow, the Yankees actually let him wear the pinstripes for 67 innings? He was AWFUL.
:roll:
At least he was consistent, mid 5 ERA backed up with a mid 5's fip.

This is another absolute eye roller. This dude is another Wade LeBlanc, Millone, upside play. Not every soft tossing lefty is going to mighty mighty morphin ranger into Moyer. Very few do infact his name was Jamie fn Moyer.

The thing is that IFA money could actually buy a wild card prospect. A kid that is 15 - 18 but in a few years either contributes or is traded to get you the closer, or ace you need to put you over the top.

Now when the Yankees repackage that money to do just that or in a few years they call up some Dominican kid they used the M's money and he is the next Mo R. Remember this putz that Jerry jumps on because he loves the taste of Yankee table scraps.

Let me be clear I absolutely hate this move on every level.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:46 pm

We gave up at least a good IFA to do this:
The amount of money the Yankees received in return for Cortes isn’t presently known, but international allotments have to be traded in blocks of $250K, so New York picked up at least that much in additional resources to add to its pool.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 am

“Nestor is a versatile lefty who can do a little bit of everything,” Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto said in a statement announcing the swap. “He can start, he can relieve, he can give you those middle innings or even operate as an opener.”
Literally every single pitcher in the big leagues can do all those things if you are only requiring an ERA and FIP of almost 6.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 am

its not going to be a pretty season next year, somebody has to chuck the baseball

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 am
its not going to be a pretty season next year, somebody has to chuck the baseball
They could have found a mother chucker in the Indy leagues to put up those numbers. If its only $250k I guess not a big deal.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 am

actually he looks kind of interesting to me, he just turned 25...
He posted a 5-1 record with a 5.67 ERA and 69 strikeouts over 66 2/3 innings.
decent strikeout rate for a soft tosser...has had issues with dingers and walks, but looks like some room for development, if we are trying to develop pitchers, why not Nestor

trying different delivery angles, views himself as a work in progress,
Cortes very much sees himself as a work in progress, telling David Laurila at FanGraphs last month regarding his slider:

“Along those lines, I started throwing my slider from the side. I try to make it go off my fastball from down there, so that they see a different look; I want them to take their eyes off the fastball. I want that one to be sweepier, and less cutter-ish. I want it start on the plate, and then go off the plate. For righties, it’s a great pitch, because it’s ‘ball, ball, ball, strike.’ But for lefties… that’s where I struggle. I can’t make it, ‘strike, strike, strike, ball,’ because right now it’s only breaking six or seven inches. I need for it to go down, and not just sideways.

He also has a fastball, a curve, and a change, giving him a large four-pitch repertoire for a reliever.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nestor-cort ... r-sliders/

all over the place with his delivery

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154225993118343169

Petert

Post by Petert » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:54 am

Sometimes Jerry’s signings have all the optimism of an undertaker cutting down a body twisting in the wind.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 am
actually he looks kind of interesting to me, he just turned 25...
He posted a 5-1 record with a 5.67 ERA and 69 strikeouts over 66 2/3 innings.
decent strikeout rate for a soft tosser...has had issues with dingers and walks, but looks like some room for development, if we are trying to develop pitchers, why not Nestor

trying different delivery angles, views himself as a work in progress,
Cortes very much sees himself as a work in progress, telling David Laurila at FanGraphs last month regarding his slider:

“Along those lines, I started throwing my slider from the side. I try to make it go off my fastball from down there, so that they see a different look; I want them to take their eyes off the fastball. I want that one to be sweepier, and less cutter-ish. I want it start on the plate, and then go off the plate. For righties, it’s a great pitch, because it’s ‘ball, ball, ball, strike.’ But for lefties… that’s where I struggle. I can’t make it, ‘strike, strike, strike, ball,’ because right now it’s only breaking six or seven inches. I need for it to go down, and not just sideways.

He also has a fastball, a curve, and a change, giving him a large four-pitch repertoire for a reliever.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nestor-cort ... r-sliders/

all over the place with his delivery

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154225993118343169
I did see the high K rate. Always seems odd to me when you see a high K rate combined with a high hit per 9 rate. I guess control issues and instead of missing off the plate he misses down the middle.
dt