Addison Russell

bpj

Addison Russell

Post by bpj » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 am

Seems like a similar roll of the dice as Dipoto took on Tim Beckham.

The guy is still just 25 years old, although he is coming back from a domestic violence suspension so they may steer clear.

Still, from a purely baseball standpoint, adding Addison Russell to the Shed Long/JP Crawford mix, it feels like a lot more talent than with Dee Gordon there instead.

JP Crawford you could say even earned himself a little time in AAA with his second half performance.

Donn Beach

Re: Addison Russell

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am

the DV was in 2018, the Cubs saying he has been a good citizen since then, doesn't seem like it should be hanging over his head
"We decided to non-tender Addison Russell today simply because the role we expected him to play for the 2020 Cubs was inconsistent with how he would have been treated in the salary arbitration process," Cubs president Theo Epstein said in a statement. "In the year since we decided to tender Addison a contract last November, he has lived up to his promise to put in the important self-improvement work necessary off the field and has shown growth, as a person, as a partner, as a parent and as a citizen. We hope and believe that Addison's work will continue, and we have offered our continued support of him and his family, including [ex-wife] Melisa [Reidy].

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 am

Interesting, if I'm Dipoto he's at the top of my list right now given his age and potential. Shed Long could move to super utility role and get nearly as many at bats as he's slated for now, provided they cut loose the riffraff in Gordon and Smith.

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:15 am

Yes... that pesky domestic violence thingy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:58 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am
the DV was in 2018, the Cubs saying he has been a good citizen since then, doesn't seem like it should be hanging over his head
"We decided to non-tender Addison Russell today simply because the role we expected him to play for the 2020 Cubs was inconsistent with how he would have been treated in the salary arbitration process," Cubs president Theo Epstein said in a statement. "In the year since we decided to tender Addison a contract last November, he has lived up to his promise to put in the important self-improvement work necessary off the field and has shown growth, as a person, as a partner, as a parent and as a citizen. We hope and believe that Addison's work will continue, and we have offered our continued support of him and his family, including [ex-wife] Melisa [Reidy].
Guessing the woman that was all over the Astros re: Osuna would disagree.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:00 am

I think they still love JP. I would be shocked that if they went after a guy that was older that put up 0.1 WAR (I know, a down year) with his history.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:07 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:00 am
I think they still love JP. I would be shocked that if they went after a guy that was older that put up 0.1 WAR (I know, a down year) with his history.
I don't think it would have to affect JP if they didnt want it to.

Let Shed be your McLemore and Russell could take some 2B.

Bring in all the young talent they can get their hands on.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:24 am

Ah, I didn't know he played 2B last season.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:24 am

speaking of 2B, why is Gordon still on this team?
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:10 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:58 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am
Guessing the woman that was all over the Astros re: Osuna would disagree.
no idea, this is a different situation, the issue arose with Osuna when the Astros traded for him in the middle of a 75 game DV suspension