Winter meetings thread

bpj

Re: Winter meetings thread

Post by bpj » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:11 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 am
I think he knew that we weren't going to do much in the playoffs and that by making a push for that would've delayed the competitive window that we are currently headed towards right now in 2021.

In this case, by doing nothing is something.
No, none of his moves were done with an eye for the future except maybe Montgomery for Vogelbach, which in itself probably cost us the playoffs.

Unloading Trumbo for a backup catcher that had no future is exhibit A. The rest of his terrible moves that season just added on to the terrible.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:14 am
not sure if he would be ready to go or not, he hardly pitched in two seasons, they non tendered him to save the $5 mil it was expected to cost. A team is going to give him a contract, but there is certainly not guarantee what you are going to get. Your signing him for $2-4 mil and rolling the dice
Hard for me to understand why he was able to pitch that one perfect inning but then not be ready 6 months later.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 pm

if there was a lot of confidence in his being "ready to go" next season, I think he be looking at more than a $2-$4 mil contract wouldn't he? I thought I was talking the Darren approach, believe it when i see it

it was seen as somewhat surprising they didn't tender him, that has to be because they don't see him as worth it. A healthy Walker is worth $5 mil isn't he, .5 WAR?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 pm
if there was a lot of confidence in his being "ready to go" next season, I think he be looking at more than a $2-$4 mil contract wouldn't he? I thought I was talking the Darren approach, believe it when i see it

it was seen as somewhat surprising they didn't tender him, that has to be because they don't see him as worth it. A healthy Walker is worth $5 mil isn't he, .5 WAR?
Yeah, I am just wondering if something happened following that inning in terms of set back.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:53 pm

I don't think so...assume he was shutdown after that, here is an article promoting their optimism in him at the end of the season
“Definitely I can go into the offseason knowing I’m 100 percent, completely healthy,” Walker said. “I can have a normal offseason and get ready for spring training.”

Right-hander Luke Weaver made similar remarks after tossing two innings in his return from the injured list the previous weekend in San Diego. The Diamondbacks will be counting on both he and Walker to play prominent roles in their starting rotation next year.

“It gives us a little bit more clarity, certainly,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. “We know they got on the mound, they jumped into that arena of competition. They probably mentally checked a big box off.”

Two years ago, Walker was a mainstay in one of the better rotations in Diamondbacks history, posting a 3.49 ERA with a 146 strikeouts in 157 1/3 innings. Three starts into 2018, he went down with Tommy John surgery, and just as he was nearing a return this past May, he experienced shoulder problems that sidelined him until Sunday.

He threw mostly fastballs and change-ups against the Padres. He largely threw strikes. He elicited a couple of swings and misses. Walker was content with all that. But he seemed genuinely excited to be able to walk off a mound in a game that counted and feel healthy.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 816015002/

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Wow, Strasburgs deal is a bit rich for what I would have been comfortable with. But, he's their Felix so it makes sense.

It may mean that Cole gets a 10 year, $300+ Million dollar contract.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 pm
Wow, Strasburgs deal is a bit rich for what I would have been comfortable with. But, he's their Felix so it makes sense.

It may mean that Cole gets a 10 year, $300+ Million dollar contract.
I think he has an offer for 8/$288
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Jack Curry

Verified account

@JackCurryYES
54m54 minutes ago
More
Cashman has landed in San Diego and is expected to make an offer to Cole today. With @JeffPassan saying Strasburg got 7/245 from Nats, have to believe Cole gets 8 years. Yanks saying they will make “very, very competitive offer.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Divish's answer to my ? regarding Walker.

Ryan Divish (rdivish@seattletimes.com)
To:you Details
A bit of both. They didn't love how Taijuan handled certain things when it came to changes and adjustments they wanted him to make or in-game adversity. But he's 27 now. I think his health should be a larger concern than anything else.

Ryan Divish
Seattle Mariners Writer
The Seattle Times
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/
Twitter: @RyanDivish
Work 206-464-2373 Cell: 406-390-2630
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:29 AM
To: Ryan Divish <rdivish@seattletimes.com>
Subject: Walker

Hi Ryan,

I hope you are enjoying the off season. I have seen a lot of M's fans wanting Walker back but my recollection was that he was traded in part because JD wasn't a big fan of his mental makeup. Is that accurate or am I misremembering and it was just a case of having to give up something to get Segura and Haniger.

Thanks,

Darren
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Speaking of Segura, I’ll bet he’s going to throw a tantrum over this...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/ ... orius.html