Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 am
two of the premier organizations are suddenly scrambling to find managers
And we are still blessed with SS. :)
dt

Petert

Re: Boom! Astros get ASS JAMMED by MLB

Post by Petert » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:00 am

This is all pretty significant. I’d bet it’ll eventually carry as much weight in baseball history as Judge Landis’ banning of the players supposedly involved in the 1919 ‘Black Sox’ scandal.

Or the Mariners winning their first World Series. (Which will probably be tainted by a similar scandal, this resulting in forfeiture of the title. :roll: )

95Lives!

Post by 95Lives! » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 am

I thought the penalties were over the top. Stealing signs is part if the game.

They broke the rules about using electronics and communication and all but a year long suspension for the GM and FM then four draft picks? It seems over the top to me.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:03 am

95Lives! wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 am

They broke the rules about using electronics and communication and all but a year long suspension for the GM and FM then four draft picks? It seems over the top to me.
Maybe they punished them for being idiots. They won the AL West by 21 games and had probably the best lineup in baseball. The sign stealing was completely unnecessary given it probably won them maybe one or two more games.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 am

I always am amused by criminals or scammers or cheats. They spend all this time thinking up ways to cheat the system for a few dollars or a slight advantage when if they spent the same amount of time on legitimate pursuits they could probably make 2-10x as much money. Its like the spam that I have to delete every day. These clowns spent forever creating computer programs to post their spam all over the world and they probably don't make jack shit for it when they could just work for a software company actually making a salary. Its lunacy.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 am

95Lives! wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 am

It is more that just sign stealing:
Manfred had harsh words for the organizational culture established under Luhnow's stewardship, saying "while no one can dispute that Luhnow’s baseball operations department is an industry leader in its analytics, it is very clear to me that the culture of the baseball operations department, manifesting itself in the way its employees are treated, its relations with other clubs, and its relations with the media and external stakeholders, has been very problematic."
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:19 am

stealing signs is not illegal, but how they went about it was what was over the top, and on top of that, they were told to stop and they didn't. Manfred warned that if it continued to happen the penalties would be much worse, and they kept at it. Luhnow was damaging the integrity of the game and challenging the authority of the Commissioner. It was bizarre, the behavior, what were they thinking. Manfred had to take significant action, the penalties were what I was expecting, and i bet Luhnow as well. When I saw Manfred had issued that warning, threatening much harsher penalties if it was ignored, i figured it was the end of Luhnow

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm

I was just thinking that Manfred could have truly imposed hardship on the Astros by mandating that Scott Servais take over Hinch’s role on the team. :D

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Petert wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
I was just thinking that Manfred could have truly imposed hardship on the Astros by mandating that Scott Servais take over Hinch’s role on the team. :D
They would probably just fold the team instead!
dt