Spam

Petert

Re: Spam

Post by Petert » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:59 pm
jason wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm
In reaction to forum requests we have enabled a security question upon registration that a Mariners fan should easily be able to answer, however may be more of a deterrent to spammers. Private messaging was another easy avenue for spammers and often contained adult content. If these security measures prevent spammers from registering, private messaging will be re-enabled.

Our favorite baseball team is the Seattle:

Thank you for sticking around guys, and especially thanks to Dtrain for taking care of the place, he deserves a lot of credit for the time he's put into it, there have been far more spammers than I would have expected.
Pilots? :) Thanks Jason! Great idea and thanks for the explanation on the PMs. It has been a challenge to talk behind peoples back. :lol: I almost see recurring spam after the initial blast so I don't think the spammers that are already in should be a problem.

And Thank YOU for starting this awesome forum!
So, DT, we’re good ? You need nothing from me at this point ?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:16 pm

I think we are good for now Peter but great to know we have your expertise on board!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm

jason wrote:
In reaction to forum requests we have enabled a security question upon registration that a Mariners fan should easily be able to answer, however may be more of a deterrent to spammers. Private messaging was another easy avenue for spammers and often contained adult content. If these security measures prevent spammers from registering, private messaging will be re-enabled.

Thank you for sticking around guys, and especially thanks to Dtrain for taking care of the place, he deserves a lot of credit for the time he's put into it, there have been far more spammers than I would have expected.
Its not working. How about change the question to: What was the Mariners most memorable season at the Kingdome. No way a Mariner fan would not know it and no way a non Mariner fan would.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 am

I know nothing about this stuff but is there a way that you could just make it so that a persons first post has to be reviewed by the moderator before they get accepted? I think DT would be able to identify most of these pretty easily before all of their stuff hits the board.

jason
Site Admin

Post by jason » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:20 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm
jason wrote:

Its not working. How about change the question to: What was the Mariners most memorable season at the Kingdome. No way a Mariner fan would not know it and no way a non Mariner fan would.
The question and answer has been adjusted and tested. Crossing our fingers it doesn't keep out younger fans but at least they are more capable of a Google search than a spambot will be.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:29 am

jason wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:20 am
D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm
jason wrote:

The question and answer has been adjusted and tested. Crossing our fingers it doesn't keep out younger fans but at least they are more capable of a Google search than a spambot will be.
Thanks. I think our only poster under 35 is IStillovetheM's and guessing he knows the answer. Can't imagine we get an influx of 20 somethings trying to join. ;)
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm

The question and answer thing apparently won't keep out the human spammers. One of them got through yesterday evening. Also, at least one of the spammers going back several weeks has been making both sticky threads and threads in the "announcements" section. Doesn't that mean they have been able to gain administrative priveleges on here and could delete threads as well ban users? I would recommend something more stringent than answering a question that can be looked up on a search engine.

Speaking of deleted threads, what happened to the "minor leagues" thread in the announcements area?

Petert

Post by Petert » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:33 am

I noticed this as well. It vanished early last week.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:11 pm

The new spam filter seems to be working. The only spam seems to be from IDs that have joined in the past. I think if we could just delete those we could be totally immune but I think eventually those will stop as well.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Petert wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:33 am
I noticed this as well. It vanished early last week.
Jason probably just deleted it to start fresh and because nobody was posting in it. We can start a new one for 2020.
dt