Felix signs a NRI with the Braves

Petert

Re: Felix signs a NRI with the Braves

Post by Petert » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:17 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 am
Probably a decent chance he gets up at some point. Maybe with the hopes of making their postseason roster.

Looking at it from likelihood of a team that will make the postseason, maybe that's his angle.
Man Ichiro didn't even play in the minors. Can't imagine Felix at 34 yo in a Gwinnett Stripers jersey.
It begs the question-will he be the oldest player in the Braves mlb system, post Spring Training ?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:35 am

I just can't imagine him accepting that assignment given how he overestimates his value.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:53 am

He is going to their camp to compete for a roster spot, doubt it has anything to do with taking a minor assignment

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:57 am

Hernandez has lot quite a bit of fastball velocity over the years. For a time he was able to thrive despite losing those fastball ticks thanks to the depth and quality of his supporting pitches. Now, though, he doesn't typically crack 90 mph with his sinker, and he's gradually lost consistent command of his breaking stuff. Given recent history -- Hernandez has an ERA+ of 77 over the last three seasons -- it'll be surprising if he's able to become an effective MLB starting pitcher again.

That said, the Braves have enough faith to take a flyer on him. Young ace Mike Soroka will slot in ahead of Cole Hamels in the Atlanta rotation, and Mike Foltynewicz and Max Fried figure to occupy the next two spots. That leaves Sean Newcomb, Kyle Wright, Touki Toussaint, Bryse Wilson, and now Hernandez likely in competition for the final spot.

This isn't the sort of steep decline you would've predicted for Hernandez say five years ago, but now he finds himself needing to battle and perhaps reinvent himself in order to secure a roster spot. Given the young pitching depth that Atlanta has in the fold, Hernandez's bid may be a long shot.
I think that first paragraph is pretty accurate in regards to his going all this time trying to just throw fast balls past hitters. He had been using his off speed stuff effectively, but he lost that too, particularly his command]

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/feli ... port-says/

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:08 pm

If he's not offered a spot out of camp, then he may hang up his cleats. Looks like it's going to be tough to win that #5 spot.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 am
The guy virtually steals $100 mil for 26 wins over 4 years, who cares what he does?
He's a Mariner legend and a crazy rise and fall story. I think that's why people are interested.

Ichiro's second contract was not good either. It happens with veteran players. Pujols contract is pretty bad. There are some posters on here that seem to have a particular disdain for Felix. Not sure why. Griffey left, A-Rod left, Randy left... Finally you get a kid that wants to be a Mariner for life and somehow he's enemy #1. In reality, bringing up a Hall of Famer out of your minor league system that ends up playing their whole career for the same team is very rare. Felix is frustrating, because he was on that trajectory but fell off. Edgar is still the only one for the Ms.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:35 pm

It's still crazy to me that Verlander wins a Cy at 36 while Felix fell off a cliff at 30 and still can't recover at 33

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:51 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm
Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 am
The guy virtually steals $100 mil for 26 wins over 4 years, who cares what he does?
He's a Mariner legend and a crazy rise and fall story. I think that's why people are interested.

Ichiro's second contract was not good either. It happens with veteran players. Pujols contract is pretty bad. There are some posters on here that seem to have a particular disdain for Felix. Not sure why. Griffey left, A-Rod left, Randy left... Finally you get a kid that wants to be a Mariner for life and somehow he's enemy #1. In reality, bringing up a Hall of Famer out of your minor league system that ends up playing their whole career for the same team is very rare. Felix is frustrating, because he was on that trajectory but fell off. Edgar is still the only one for the Ms.
Felix deserves a lot of disdain for his unwillingness to change. Every mil player is constantly evolving, Ask any quality pitcher who lost velocity how they were able to continue. They either changed how they pitched or improved accuracy. Felix didn’t do either. He kept trying to use what always worked
He is either lazy or ignorant

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm

I had to laugh at a few people on Twitter getting excited about watching Felix pitch for the Braves when they come to T Mobile at the end of May.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm
I had to laugh at a few people on Twitter getting excited about watching Felix pitch for the Braves when they come to T Mobile at the end of May.
If he pitches another perfect game, this time against my Mariners I'm done!!