Virus Schmirus

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Virus Schmirus

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:11 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:55 am
so how deadly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/heal ... n-facebook
I don't really trust that source of biased reporting, the NY Times, on such a heavily politicized issue as Covid19 especially when they reference the corrupt WHO for scientific data. Within the first paragraph it already becomes apparent that the writer's intent is to make the fatality rate appear as high as possible...
More than six months into the pandemic, the coronavirus has infected more than 11 million people worldwide, killing more than 525,000. But despite the increasing toll, scientists still do not have a definitive answer to one of the most fundamental questions about the virus: How deadly is it?
Compare that figure to the one in this Washington Post article...
The number of people in the United States who have been infected with the coronavirus is likely to be 10 times as high as the 2.4 million confirmed cases, based on antibody tests, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.

CDC Director Robert Redfield’s estimate, shared with reporters in a conference call, indicates that at least 24 million Americans have been infected so far.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... es-larger/

So one article says more than 11 million worldwide while the other one says at least 24 million just in the U.S.. Who are we to trust? Personally, I'll go with the organization that isn't in China's back pocket and the slightly less far-left-leaning publication.

Then there's articles in scientific publications like New Scientist Magazine...
However, the team estimates that only 35 per cent of symptomatic cases have been reported in the US, and the figure is even lower for some other countries. The UK is estimated to have reported only 14 per cent, Sweden about 19 per cent and Yemen just 3 per cent.

What these statistics don’t reflect is the number of symptomless cases, which some evidence suggests can account for between a quarter and half of all coronavirus infections.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... us-so-far/

That article does, however, indicate that we are a long way from any certainty about the total number of infected.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:01 am

Good news! We now have a new worry for August! Has anyone predicted Bubonic Plague? That is the new concern coming out of... wait for it... CHINA! So we have a new Swine Flu for July AND Plague in August coming from our friends in the PRC. Just a coincidence. The new weapons of mass destruction. Germ warfare at its finest. Just use W.H.O. to cover your tracks and develop diseases, infect a few of the locals and give them round trip tickets to Disneyland in California. Don't even have to tell them they are carrying a deadly disease. You were just inoculating them.

But then I don't believe in conspiracy theories!

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 am

I would be in favor of a total ban on flights from China to the U.S. and restrict any Chinese nationals from entering the country until there is an end to these plagues they are spreading throughout the world.

Also, it's well past time to get our industrial base out of China.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:11 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:55 am
so how deadly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/heal ... n-facebook
I don't really trust that source of biased reporting, the NY Times, on such a heavily politicized issue as Covid19 especially when they reference the corrupt WHO for scientific data. Within the first paragraph it already becomes apparent that the writer's intent is to make the fatality rate appear as high as possible...
More than six months into the pandemic, the coronavirus has infected more than 11 million people worldwide, killing more than 525,000. But despite the increasing toll, scientists still do not have a definitive answer to one of the most fundamental questions about the virus: How deadly is it?
Compare that figure to the one in this Washington Post article...
The number of people in the United States who have been infected with the coronavirus is likely to be 10 times as high as the 2.4 million confirmed cases, based on antibody tests, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.

CDC Director Robert Redfield’s estimate, shared with reporters in a conference call, indicates that at least 24 million Americans have been infected so far.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... es-larger/

So one article says more than 11 million worldwide while the other one says at least 24 million just in the U.S.. Who are we to trust? Personally, I'll go with the organization that isn't in China's back pocket and the slightly less far-left-leaning publication.

Then there's articles in scientific publications like New Scientist Magazine...
However, the team estimates that only 35 per cent of symptomatic cases have been reported in the US, and the figure is even lower for some other countries. The UK is estimated to have reported only 14 per cent, Sweden about 19 per cent and Yemen just 3 per cent.

What these statistics don’t reflect is the number of symptomless cases, which some evidence suggests can account for between a quarter and half of all coronavirus infections.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... us-so-far/

That article does, however, indicate that we are a long way from any certainty about the total number of infected.

How are we ever going to get the truth about how deadly this is, was or will be when China doesn’t have an honest thought about any aspect of it
525,000 dead.... That alone is probably overestimated in some countries and complete BS when dealing with China. China basically welded apartment building doors shut to contain the virus, The communists continue to deceive about how many died early on. When you combine poor health, horrible air quality and weld doors shut allowing no one access to health care and then lie about where it came from... There have been estimates of 2 million dead in China from this, we really don’t know. What we do know is that age, air quality, overall health of people, quality of health care all factor in. Unfortunately we are not getting the complete story here either, it’s odd that the media And a few woke governors make it look like we as a country are in far worse shape today then two months ago. The numbers are skyrocketing and the death rate is tumbling

Each side seeks credit and lays blame on the other

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:00 pm

How are we ever going to get the truth about how deadly this is, was or will be when China doesn’t have an honest thought about any aspect of it
525,000 dead.... That alone is probably overestimated in some countries and complete BS when dealing with China. China basically welded apartment building doors shut to contain the virus, The communists continue to deceive about how many died early on. When you combine poor health, horrible air quality and weld doors shut allowing no one access to health care and then lie about where it came from... There have been estimates of 2 million dead in China from this, we really don’t know. What we do know is that age, air quality, overall health of people, quality of health care all factor in. Unfortunately we are not getting the complete story here either, it’s odd that the media And a few woke governors make it look like we as a country are in far worse shape today then two months ago. The numbers are skyrocketing and the death rate is tumbling

Each side seeks credit and lays blame on the other
Regardless of what the truth is..... we need to live with this virus..... and living means to get back to work, back to school, back to social interaction, church, bars, ball games, etc.... whatever living means for each one of us. Over 1/2 million die annually in the US from heart disease, over `1/2 million die annually from some form of cancer, unintentional accidents cause more deaths than Covid annually like driving after a drink or a reefer, same with respiratory illness from smoking and other factors, then there's strokes and cardiovascular disease which causes more death than Covid and it much higher in the southeast. I guess we could out law butter, all fat, all alcohol, all forms of drugs, smoking, outlaw driving and force everyone to evacuate Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama, and then after we saved all those lives we could concentrate on Covid which is about equal with Diabetes, Alzheimer's, Influenza, and Pneumonia. I mean we haven't stopped living for any of these other proplems.... just get on with it and run a few ads about wearing a mask, washing your hands, and not exchanging body fluids with strangers... You are responsible for your own hygiene and safety..... the rest is political bullshit.

gil

Post by gil » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:33 pm

The issue for me about cases and deaths has never been about where we are at a given moment; it's about where we might be heading. (Viruses spread though a population by infection; cancer and heart disease and accidents do not.) So yes, the count of U.S. deaths (as reported by the CDC, by Johns Hopkins U., and by woldometers.info) is currently about 1/4 the number of annual deaths in the country from cancer or hearh disease. But where will the COVID-19 deaths number be in 3 months? 6 months? A year into the outbreak?

I think when Spring Training was cancelled, the U.S. had like, what, 44 deaths? If that had been all, of course it would have been a minor worry. I've asked this before: where would we be *without* the lockdowns and voluntary quarantines?

I've been tracking stats from worldometers.info since May 18. On that day, the states with the highest per capita number of cases were:
New York
Jersey
Mass
Little Rhody
Conn
District of Columbia ("no taxation without representation!")
Delaware
Illinois
Louisiana
Maryland

The states with the highest increase in per capita cases since then (this is the increase in per capita new cases from May 18 through July 10, not a percentage):
Arizona
Florida
South Carolina
Louisiana
Alabama
Mississippi
Arkansas
Texas
Georgia
Utah

For perspective, Arizona's NEW per capita cases (i.e., since May 18) are about 4 times what New York and New Jersey are reporting for the same period. Florida is at about 3 times NY and NJ.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:10 am

bpj wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:38 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Watching Sen. Tom Cotton right now. He says that the reason the China let the Virus escape their borders and didn't stop Int travel is because they didn't want to be the only country to suffer economically as it would lower their relative standing in the world. The purposely let it spread throughout the world so the rest of the world would have the same economic nightmare that they knew they were going to endure thus maintaining there relative standing as the falling tide lowered all boats.
Exactly.

Every dollar the US spent and lost on this should get lopped off the top of our country's debt to China.
Boom,

"US will convert Chinas 1.2 Trillion Treasury notes to trust fund for Covid victims."

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 am

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:15 pm
bpj wrote:

Every dollar the US spent and lost on this should get lopped off the top of our country's debt to China.
And you could do the same thing at your bank if you have had to spend money on masks, soap and disinfectant. Start rewriting your mortgage.
Keep laughing Chuckles.

Can't even count how many times you've tried dunking on me only to end up with my ballbag on your forehead when I turn out to be right.

gil

Post by gil » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:05 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:10 am
bpj wrote:
D-train wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Watching Sen. Tom Cotton right now. He says that the reason the China let the Virus escape their borders and didn't stop Int travel is because they didn't want to be the only country to suffer economically as it would lower their relative standing in the world. The purposely let it spread throughout the world so the rest of the world would have the same economic nightmare that they knew they were going to endure thus maintaining there relative standing as the falling tide lowered all boats.
Exactly.

Boom,

"US will convert Chinas 1.2 Trillion Treasury notes to trust fund for Covid victims."
Is this really true? All I could find is a youtube video.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:49 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm
So now the Yankee hair policy is racist. I guess only minorities can grow long hair and beards so no impact on white guys. I am referring to white woman's tweet not the story.

https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/statu ... 5340690432
Had a good laugh at this. Did you know that Beethoven is now racist? Yep. A guy from Germany who died nearly 200 years ago and never owned a slave is now racist. I guess being "only" deaf doesn't qualify him in a protected class.