Biggest disappointment and biggest pleasant surprise

AT Funchal-Madeira

Re: Biggest disappointment and biggest pleasant surprise

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm
I am not disappointed in Vogey because he is doing exactly what I expected. I would say Evan White is the biggest disappointment. We knew he wasn't likely to light the world on fire with his bat but at least we were pretty certain that he would have some plate discipline and give us decent at bats. The batting average is alarming but the 27 K's to 5 BB is even more disappointing.

Biggest surprise to me has to be Dylan Moore. He doesn't even get a whif of a mention in the rebuilding discussion but he is looking like he has the potential to be a valuable utility guy in the mold of a Mark Maclemore or Ben Zobrist. Also Austin Nola Hitting .324 and leading the team in OPS. has to be up there on the list of surprises.
Yep, and will be nice to have two healthy MLB caliber catchers when we return from the road trip.
Dylan Moore could be a nice candidate to play regular second base....

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm
I am not disappointed in Vogey because he is doing exactly what I expected. I would say Evan White is the biggest disappointment. We knew he wasn't likely to light the world on fire with his bat but at least we were pretty certain that he would have some plate discipline and give us decent at bats. The batting average is alarming but the 27 K's to 5 BB is even more disappointing.

Biggest surprise to me has to be Dylan Moore. He doesn't even get a whif of a mention in the rebuilding discussion but he is looking like he has the potential to be a valuable utility guy in the mold of a Mark Maclemore or Ben Zobrist. Also Austin Nola Hitting .324 and leading the team in OPS. has to be up there on the list of surprises.
Yep, and will be nice to have two healthy MLB caliber catchers when we return from the road trip.
Dylan Moore could be a nice candidate to play regular second base....
Yep, Shed is pretty much what I figured he would be.........not a starting 2B on a championship caliber team.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Its funny how Long and Smith get such a free pass but Dylan Moore has always overachieved and gets completely ignored and cast aside.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 pm
Its funny how Long and Smith get such a free pass but Dylan Moore has always overachieved and gets completely ignored and cast aside.
Pecking order seems to be:

Japanese
AAs
Whites
Hispanics.

;)
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Biggest Pleasant Surprise:

Dylan Moore
Kyle Seager (coming out of the gate hot, that is)

Biggest Disappointment:

Evan White
Yusei Kikuchi (how long is it going to take to right this ship ?)

Other than that, things are pretty much the way I expected them to go. Like many, my hopes were not high for this season, and the little things that have gone right are mostly down to a couple of players like Lewis, Marco, and Nola.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Everyone always assumed Kyle was a slow starter but being from the South maybe it was just the cold weather that he hated to hit in.
dt

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Surprise:

Moore for sure
Seager was hoping, like the dude
Lewis and ability now to hit to all fields. Strikeouts an issue. But, seeing him go the other way is super nice.
Nola catching. Better than expected. Not great, but far better than anticipated.

Disappointment:

White, I didn't think he would be gangbusters or anything. I just don't like his at bats. Something is just off with his swing. Slow, don't see a lot of potential bat speed. I'm super tired of hearing about his defense over and over and over. I know they are trying to hide his super bad hitting. But, cool it on the over praising of the defense all of the time.

I'm done with Smith. Just done.

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:38 pm

I haven't listened to or watched 1 single pitch or AB this year. My biggest disappointment will be finding out that the MLB had great ratings this year and that they plan on funding BLM and other affirmative action programs to force feed more negro talent into the Big Leagues.
Maybe offer the Owners financial incentives to relax the salary caps if the player is Black instead of White or Brown..?
Sound ridiculous..?
If so have you been paying attention to what has been happening in real life...?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 am

He's employed a more patient approach against big-league pitching than one might expect he would based on his Double-A walk rate (7.2 percent), and it's possible he has his eyes on making a trade, and swapping in some power and patience at the cost of more strikeouts and a lower average.
that doesn't really make sense does it..He has a more patient approach but is swapping patience for more power?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:34 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 am
He's employed a more patient approach against big-league pitching than one might expect he would based on his Double-A walk rate (7.2 percent), and it's possible he has his eyes on making a trade, and swapping in some power and patience at the cost of more strikeouts and a lower average.
that doesn't really make sense does it..He has a more patient approach but is swapping patience for more power?
No. Who was it again that wrote that?
dt