Biggest disappointment and biggest pleasant surprise

D-train

Re: Biggest disappointment and biggest pleasant surprise

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:35 am

And the Shed becomes one of the Mario brothers. .197 BA.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 am

And White continues his trip to become one of the Mario Sisters.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:44 am

cbssports.com...generally have found them to be a good source

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... fense-fun/

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:44 am
cbssports.com...generally have found them to be a good source

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... fense-fun/
Everybody makes mistakes I guess.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:52 am

Damn fine piece of hitting!
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:23 am

Surprise: Vogelbach looking like a survivor on Season 1 Episode 1 of LOST. Where the hell did he go?

Disappointment: Evan White. I expected some struggles, but not this much. He looks like he's guessing everything he goes to the plate. He's very talented, which lets him square up on some really good pitches. Everything is correctable, and this is the season if ever for him to have a crack at the majors. But boy is he pretty with the glove!! 🔥
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:07 am

AT Fresno wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm
I am not disappointed in Vogey because he is doing exactly what I expected. I would say Evan White is the biggest disappointment. We knew he wasn't likely to light the world on fire with his bat but at least we were pretty certain that he would have some plate discipline and give us decent at bats. The batting average is alarming but the 27 K's to 5 BB is even more disappointing.

Biggest surprise to me has to be Dylan Moore. He doesn't even get a whif of a mention in the rebuilding discussion but he is looking like he has the potential to be a valuable utility guy in the mold of a Mark Maclemore or Ben Zobrist. Also Austin Nola Hitting .324 and leading the team in OPS. has to be up there on the list of surprises.
Yep, and will be nice to have two healthy MLB caliber catchers when we return from the road trip.
Dylan Moore could be a nice candidate to play regular second base....
In another thread I showed his play distribution for career
2X SS
1X 2B
1X 1B
.8x 3B
7x OF

I am thinking Mark Mcklemore super sub and maybe JD to.

On WHite they are expanding the zone on him and he is just being a victim up there. After a week or so I wanted him subbed in for just to let him breathe and maybe evaluate what he is doing wrong. At the end of the day I am a little no chalant about White being rushed because there is no minors and he is better getting the work vs Moore, JP, Seager, Lewis

Disappointment: Mallex, Murphy and Hanniger health, VBach, Gravemann, but yes White is the big one.Because I have seen the special glove, the foot speed pulls what is normally a baseclogger to not, his approach is f'd. I have seen him swing at bouncer's out front of the plate, and stuff at eye level. That is not him he is a OBP type that probably is trying to do too much.

Pleasant:
SSS but SP Kik, Sheff, Walker, Dunn<<<< The 5: Kyles, JP, Moore, Nola

Kikuchi is showing physical results like spin rate and velocity to back up fip /x fip to show he has been an expected 2-ish ERA this vs 2019 where he had a 5+ERA and earned every run! He is owed min 50M which is a bargain if he is what he has shown 1st 3 starts of 2020.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:07 am
AT Fresno wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Yep, and will be nice to have two healthy MLB caliber catchers when we return from the road trip.
Dylan Moore could be a nice candidate to play regular second base....
In another thread I showed his play distribution for career
2X SS
1X 2B
1X 1B
.8x 3B
7x OF

I am thinking Mark Mcklemore super sub and maybe JD to.

On WHite they are expanding the zone on him and he is just being a victim up there. After a week or so I wanted him subbed in for just to let him breathe and maybe evaluate what he is doing wrong. At the end of the day I am a little no chalant about White being rushed because there is no minors and he is better getting the work vs Moore, JP, Seager, Lewis

Disappointment: Mallex, Murphy and Hanniger health, VBach, Gravemann, but yes White is the big one.Because I have seen the special glove, the foot speed pulls what is normally a baseclogger to not, his approach is f'd. I have seen him swing at bouncer's out front of the plate, and stuff at eye level. That is not him he is a OBP type that probably is trying to do too much.

Pleasant:
SSS but SP Kik, Sheff, Walker, Dunn<<<< The 5: Kyles, JP, Moore, Nola

Kikuchi is showing physical results like spin rate and velocity to back up fip /x fip to show he has been an expected 2-ish ERA this vs 2019 where he had a 5+ERA and earned every run! He is owed min 50M which is a bargain if he is what he has shown 1st 3 starts of 2020.
Why do you think Long is a better option at 2B?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Twas the best of times, twas the worst of Times. Klew most valuable player in the AL and White the least valuable. 1.1 WAR vs. -0.6 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2020-12-31

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=21,a
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm
Twas the best of times, twas the worst of Times. Klew most valuable player in the AL and White the least valuable. 1.1 WAR vs. -0.6 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2020-12-31

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=21,a
Have to bring the lumber when you're playing the same position that some of the best bats in the game play.

Mallex Smith also finding out that WAR doesn't fall into your lap- and instead starts to stack up negative pretty quickly- when you're not playing center field.

-.4 WAR in 39 plate appearances extrapolates to -6 WAR over 600 PA.

1B and corner OF aren't places you can stash speed and defense and still get value.

On the other hand, move a bat-first guy to a "defensive" position, and they look like a god on paper.