Another head scratching decision

D-train

Another head scratching decision

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:50 pm

So Sheff pitched 6 innings on Sunday, there is an off day on Thursday so on Saturday he will have 5 days rest. One more than normal and 2 more than the 3 days rest starters got for almost 100 years. So, shouldn't he start on Saturday to keep his regular rest in tact. Oh no, they are so absurdly wed to the this 6 man rotation the are giving the start to Marge who has negative infinity chance of being in the rotation beyond this season.

Just watch Sheff being out of sync on Sunday because he ridiculously had SIX days rest.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Another head scratching decision

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Sounds like a great way to throw games. Unfortunately it could negatively impact the development of these young pitchers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:09 pm
Sounds like a great way to throw games. Unfortunately it could negatively impact the development of these young pitchers.
Exactly, the whole point of the six man rotation was to give guys an extra day of rest given the short summer camp. Well guess what the off day gives him that extra day of rest and he has already ramped up to 100 pitches and has several starts under his belt...why would he need MORE rest than he had at the start of the season. Now they are going mess with his development so they can say "we said we were going with a 6 man rotation and we are sticking to our GUNS!!!!!!"

The bane of my existence is people that just blindly trudge on doing what they have always done without thinking about why they are still doing it even though all the reasons they started doing it have gone away.

I wish I could say I suffer no fools but I can't because fools do make me suffer. lol
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 pm

You would think Sham-wow would know better having once pitched in the majors, but I guess he was too shitty to make a starting rotation. He probably was jealous of the starters and has a subconscious desire to mess with them.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 pm
You would think Sham-wow would know better having once pitched in the majors, but I guess he was too shitty to make a starting rotation. He probably was jealous of the starters and has a subconscious desire to mess with them.
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q39yGLPkMY
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:09 pm
Exactly, the whole point of the six man rotation was to give guys an extra day of rest given the short summer camp. Well guess what the off day gives him that extra day of rest and he has already ramped up to 100 pitches and has several starts under his belt...why would he need MORE rest than he had at the start of the season. Now they are going mess with his development so they can say "we said we were going with a 6 man rotation and we are sticking to our GUNS!!!!!!"

The bane of my existence is people that just blindly trudge on doing what they have always done without thinking about why they are still doing it even though all the reasons they started doing it have gone away.

I wish I could say I suffer no fools but I can't because fools do make me suffer. lol
I couldn't agree more. The post is to have your starters take their turns. The substitute for Graveman goes in as needed, not as part of a mindless rotation. Bleh.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Well, these are the Mariners, remember? Run by a couple carpetbagger lawyers from California for decades, now by committee, and a couple other experiments from California.... they have their theories for development and game management.... I just doubt anyone will be writing books like "Moneyball" about them.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:55 am

The book could be titled "Futilityball", but you didn't hear it here.
DMM

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 am

I think they legitimately want to see what a 6 man rotation would look like, and that includes some days off. They are experimenting with it over the long haul to see how the pitchers respond.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:12 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 am
I think they legitimately want to see what a 6 man rotation would look like, and that includes some days off. They are experimenting with it over the long haul to see how the pitchers respond.
The theory when it comes down to it is that giving 5 starts each from your 1-5 starters to your 6th starter is better than your 1-5 starters getting 5-6 days rest instead of ONLY 4-5 days rest which is absolutely asinine.
dt