MLB Draft June 3-5 - M's have 4 picks in the top 100

rockycola

MLB Draft June 3-5 - M's have 4 picks in the top 100

Post by rockycola » Fri May 03, 2019 1:17 am

This year's draft is supposed to be week in pitching. Mariners have four picks (#20, #59, #76 and #97) in the first three rounds.
I just so happen to have the link to the top 100 talents:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

Obviously love catcher Adley Rutschman out of Oregon State but he'll go #1. M's did try to draft him in 2016 but he did not sign.
Draft: Drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 40th round of the 2016 MLB June Amateur Draft from Sherwood HS (Sherwood, OR).
By contrast, the group of college arms worthy of first-round selections is the thinnest in recent memory. Texas Christian left-hander Nick Lodolo and West Virginia right-hander Alek Manoah are the best of the bunch at this point and will meet in what will be a heavily scouted showdown on Friday.

A supplemental first-rounder by the Pirates out of a California high school three years ago, Lodolo has improved his slider, consistency and command this spring. Armed with a mid-90s fastball and a hard slider, Manoah is the hottest pitcher in college baseball, having permitted just one run in his last four starts while fanning 49 in 33 innings. Kentucky left-hander Zack Thompson and San Jacinto (Texas) right-hander Jackson Rutledge also could factor into the middle of the first round.

"This is the worst group of college arms I've seen in the first round in my 30 years of scouting," a NL front-office executive said. "It's so weak."
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-s ... -prospects

If the M's can truly get four of the top 100 and 2 pan out it'll be a great draft..............in 4-5-6 years.

Here is the draft order:

https://www.mlb.com/draft/2019/order
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Hanjag

Re: MLB Draft June 3-5 - M's have 4 picks in the top 100

Post by Hanjag » Fri May 03, 2019 4:03 am

Here is my hopes

(#20, #59, #76 and #97)
Last 2 picks give me
#84 6'3" 2 years as infielder started at beginning of season then went to BP. 70 FB 55 slider, 21
#82 6'3" Fastball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45 hits 96-97 as a starter age 21
#73 6'5" LHP Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45 21

2nd Pick
#63 Jimmy Lewis HS RHP &3rd b, 6'6" Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

1st pick 1 of
ranked #17 Bret Baty 6'3" 3B high schooler Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55
Ranked #14 OF Lakeside Wa Corbin Carrol Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 40 | Run: 70 | Arm: 45 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55

I don't want to spend time researching signabilty with the HS so it is an amateur guess. I tried to find reasonable pick grades and aimed for two HS position players with 1st two picks but didn't really find a match.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Latest mlb.com mock draft. Their thoughts on Kameron Misner to the M's makes me a little misnerable.

Here's 15 to 25, with Seattle's #20 right in the middle:
15. Angels: Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech

There’s no high-end, toolsy athlete, the Angels’ preference in the first round of late, to really consider here, so maybe they go with a Matt Thaiss version 2.0 kind of deal.

16. D-backs: Matthew Allan, RHP, Seminole HS (Sanford, Fla.)

The top high school arm in a relatively thin crop, Allan’s name has come up as high as the top 10 with three above-average or better pitches and a feel to throw all of them.

17. Nationals: George Kirby, RHP, Elon

Kirby continues to be one of the most consistently dominant college arms in the class and there’s some upside in terms of velocity to bank on here.

18. Pirates: Gunnar Henderson, SS, Morgan Academy (Selma, Ala.)

The Alabama prep shortstop continues to have helium. He keeps performing well as more and more decision-makers pour in to watch him play this spring.

19. Cardinals: Brett Baty, 3B, Lake Travis HS (Austin, Texas)

Baty continues to be a hard one to place because of his age (19) and his lack of a clear defensive home, but he is one of the better pure bats among the high school crop.

20. Mariners: Kameron Misner, OF, Missouri

Scouts continue to scratch their heads about Misner, who has the raw tools to be a 20-20 player, but has struggled to produce consistently this spring with a lot of swing and miss.

21. Braves: Quinn Priester, RHP, Cary-Grove HS (Cary, Ill.)

Priester has a definite up-arrow next to his name and is now behind only Allan on most boards in terms of high school pitching.

22. Rays: Brennan Malone, RHP, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)

Malone started showing growth from thrower to pitcher this spring and the athletic right-hander has some serious upside projection to him.

23. Rockies: Kody Hoese, 3B, Tulane

It’s been a huge breakout campaign for Hoese, who has continued to hit for power after doing so over the summer, while also hitting over .400, putting him firmly in the first round picture.

24. Indians: Daniel Espino, RHP, Georgia Premier Academy (Statesboro, Ga.)

While there is some concern about his ultimate role because of his delivery and command, Espino might have the best fastball in the class to go along with a pair of very good breaking balls.

25. Dodgers: Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson

A college shortstop who has a very good chance to stick there, Davidson has solid raw tools offensively as well, even if there’s concern about him hitting with wood from the summer.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-beg ... take-shape

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu May 16, 2019 3:03 pm

CBSSports had a mock draft on May 6th. Their pick is more choice than the previous Misner mocked Mariner imho.
MARINERS
Pick: 3B Josh Jung, Texas Tech
Coming into the spring Jung was a potential top 10 pick and maybe even a potential top five pick. He's had a down year offensively though -- that is relatively speaking, of course, because Jung is still hitting .338/.476/.592 with eight homers this spring (he hit .392/.491/.639 last spring) -- and he hasn't shown as much exit velocity as in the past. Still, the track record is there, and there's no doubt a team in the back-half of the first round will roll the dice on a player who was one of the top prospects in the draft class a few weeks ago.
SBNation suggests the Astro's would be a good fit for Jung. That makes me want him even more.
.....Jung is immediately impressive on film. Baseball athletic and powerfully built, Jung jumps off the screen with his high-end bat speed and natural strength. While not the lightest on his feet, Jung is relatively fluid and shows a strong, and accurate, arm in the field- not surprising, as he has run his fastball up to the low 90s as a pitcher in the past. He doesn’t project as a high-end defender at third, but based on the looks I’ve had I’m inclined to believe he can stay there and provide capable defense that will keep his bat in the lineup, as he shows good hands and workable footwork buoyed by the aforementioned arm.

At the plate is where Jung really shines. The young infielder has a lightning-quick bat and simple stroke, which he uses to drive balls to the gaps. Thus far, Jung hasn’t shown a ton of home run power, and his style at the plate might make him more of a plus contact/average power bat, but there is raw power in his frame that may yet be untapped. This will likely be the part of Jung’s profile on which evaluators are divided most- but personally I’m not sure Jung needs to hit for a ton of power to be valuable. Jung has a strong approach- patient, but not passive- and there is some projection still remaining in his 6’2” frame. I tend to be very high on hitters who couple plus bat speed with feel, and Jung checks both boxes emphatically.

Though he won’t provide much value with his glove or legs, .....
https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2018/11/1 ... texas-tech

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... o-orioles/