2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Juliooooo

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:30 am

Petert wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:36 am
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:12 pm
My 3 cents worth about Bauer is next year is one year to soon. Add in the fact that Bauer hates baseball bullshit you know the kind Seattle excels at and I find it highly unlikely he comes to Mariner land with The marshmallow that manages our team, get rid of Servix and you might stand a chance if you offer him north of $24 M.
That was my point earlier about a player 'wanting to play' for a prospective team and city, for various reasons. Seattle may have a certain rep among players for certain aspects of its team makeup (manager, etc.) but the ballpark is a pitcher's park, and I would think the team is also being looked at as on the upward swing. And after all "(Enough) Money hath charms to soothe the savage breast...", or some such thing.

I'm curious as to why you think it's a year too early ? Because Bauer is looking at one-year contracts ?
I think you add talent when you can add talent. If Bauer is looking at only 1 year contracts, then maybe it makes sense to not consider him, then again, Mariners have money and its not a long term commitment, so whats the harm? Also, did someone say the Mariners are going to stick with a 6 man rotation? That doesn't seem like something that Bauer would be interested in if thats the case.

As far as how close we are to the playoffs, I have no idea if we will be close next year. Nobody would have guessed 10 months ago that we would have a 60 game pandemic shortened season with 8 playoff spots per league (2 guaranteed per division), and that the Astros would have been caught in a cheating and lose their best pitcher to injury after 2 games and been a barely .500 team. Saying we were close to the playoffs this year isn't a clear indicator of where the Mariners are in terms of competing next year.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 am

Petert wrote:
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
My 3 cents worth about Bauer is next year is one year to soon. Add in the fact that Bauer hates baseball bullshit you know the kind Seattle excels at and I find it highly unlikely he comes to Mariner land with The marshmallow that manages our team, get rid of Servix and you might stand a chance if you offer him north of $24 M.
That was my point earlier about a player 'wanting to play' for a prospective team and city, for various reasons. Seattle may have a certain rep among players for certain aspects of its team makeup (manager, etc.) but the ballpark is a pitcher's park, and I would think the team is also being looked at as on the upward swing. And after all "(Enough) Money hath charms to soothe the savage breast...", or some such thing.

I'm curious as to why you think it's a year too early ? Because Bauer is looking at one-year contracts ?
$35 mill/ year takes care of a lot of issues

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:26 am

I don’t see us in the playoff mix next year. There are a few too many holes yet to fill in or get fixed. I see us maybe a .500 team. We should break out in the latter part of next yr and give our future outfield a cup of coffee and maybe a look at our future catcher. I have little hope at first base next year, we basically zuninoed him. If you have all the faith in this team next yr than go for Bauer, but I would look for another option while we season

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:26 am
I don’t see us in the playoff mix next year. There are a few too many holes yet to fill in or get fixed. I see us maybe a .500 team. We should break out in the latter part of next yr and give our future outfield a cup of coffee and maybe a look at our future catcher. I have little hope at first base next year, we basically zuninoed him. If you have all the faith in this team next yr than go for Bauer, but I would look for another option while we season
I don't think I agree there:
OF
with-in time constraits (super 2) Kelenic joins Haniger and Lewis as the mainstays for 2021. Until Kelenic we can use Moore, France, Loper, Marmelejos, Irvin

IF
3B Seager 122 OPS+ paced for near 4 WAR
SS JP .255/.336 and a top 5 defender at SS paced at 4.2 WAR as is
2B Moore was basically a 30HR 50 SB rate this year I believe he plays SS when JP needs a day and France @2B. For what it is worth Moore paced at almost 7 WAR
1B White Long term But maybe we play France here short term. I am a little peeved that they did not send him down to work on "something" giving him a reset focus on fixing one little thing and basically a respit.
C Murphy and Torrens Murphy has a rep as a good defender and pedigree as a top draft pick with power, Torrens had a 97 OPS+ Between the two I expect a solid bat/glove combo

DH Rotation but when White is up it is probably Tye France a lot at least for 2020. France had about a 3 WAR pace with a 133 OPS+.

The positions look pretty set. depending on health and development of Kelenic the, or at least 1 of Settle's #1 OF prospects in all of baseball being ready as projected. And 2, WHite the #1 defender at 1B able to decipher how to adjust from AA to MLB.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:35 am

Tom Murphy isn't the worst DH candidate either if Cal Raleigh is ready for a backup C role. Might as well field the best team we can.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:18 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:30 am
Petert wrote:
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:

I think you add talent when you can add talent. If Bauer is looking at only 1 year contracts, then maybe it makes sense to not consider him, then again, Mariners have money and its not a long term commitment, so whats the harm? Also, did someone say the Mariners are going to stick with a 6 man rotation? That doesn't seem like something that Bauer would be interested in if thats the case.

As far as how close we are to the playoffs, I have no idea if we will be close next year. Nobody would have guessed 10 months ago that we would have a 60 game pandemic shortened season with 8 playoff spots per league (2 guaranteed per division), and that the Astros would have been caught in a cheating and lose their best pitcher to injury after 2 games and been a barely .500 team. Saying we were close to the playoffs this year isn't a clear indicator of where the Mariners are in terms of competing next year.
That's a great point about the 6 man. Are we going to be able to attract FA pitchers with that nonsense going on. Also is Marco going to enjoy watching a 6th starter get shelled when he is sitting on the bench fully ready to start???
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Yeah, I missed that point as well in my earlier commentary, and it’s an extremely important one. (So much for having my ‘ducks in a row’. :oops:)

You have to wonder what would give in a negotiation situation where a Bauer, a Wood, a Ray, said “everything looks great, but I want to pitch every 5th day.” I mean, I suppose it could still be done in a 6-man, simply by alternating slots in each successive rotation, but it totally obliterates the concept of TOR.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 am

Petert wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:32 pm
bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 pm
Just browsing through the guys I think Dipoto could look at this offseason based on where their teams are at in terms of contention, a couple stand out so far-

Joe Musgrove SP - Pirates
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/joe-m ... position=P

Dylan Bundy SP - Angels
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/dylan ... position=P

Lance Lynn SP - Rangers
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/lance ... position=P

Jacob deGrom SP - Mets
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jacob ... position=P

Jose Cisneros RP - Tigers
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jose- ... position=P

One thing thats pretty eye popping is while Gerritt Cole has been worth 1.4 WAR this season, Trevor Bauer was tipping the scales at 2.5.

I could see them adding a LF/1B/DH type if they believe they can contend in 2021. They need some form of White insurance.

Michael Conforto - Mets
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/micha ... osition=OF

I like the idea of chasing Musgrove or Bundy, if it looks like going after Bauer becomes moot either because of disinterest on Bauer's behalf, or complacency on DiPoto's. Lynn, I think is getting up there, and being locked into a favorable contract with Texas, you think they'd want to hold onto him under those terms unless bowled over by an offer. Cisnero is a little on the older side as well, although his arm, not having the 1500+ innings of work that Lynn's has undergone, is probably in a more youthful condition.

(I may have mentioned it somewhere else, but if we can't get Bauer, a combination signing of either Robbie Ray or Alex Wood, along with Taijuan Walker is interesting to me, although there's probably a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.)

Conforto, being a local boy as well, would be an attractive target. The Mets, though, are transferring to new ownership. I feel they are going to want to preserve their better assets in a combined effort to field a very competitive team, and in no small way, placate the fan base (Conforto being a fan favorite, and just maybe would not want to see him go anywhere, least of all us, in light of their soreness over the Cano/Diaz deal). I think they'll re-sign him, and look to add to their team via free agency. For the same reason, I don't think DeGrom is going anywhere, being signed through 2023 (I think).

It's a ways off, but the one guy from the Mets who does intrigue me is Noah Syndergaard. He'll miss most, if not all, of next season because of TJ, by the end of which time his contract is up. Depending on how Mets front office views pursuing him (or not), he could be an interesting flyer candidate for the 21-22 season.
I'd be happy to get Taijuan Walker back or James Paxton. Both would be relatively cheap signings with ties to the NW.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:14 am

Divish as a new mailbag up, talking about Bauer, Bauer has this to say,
“I want to win,” he told the hosts. “I want to be with a team that has a winning culture. I want to be there in the playoffs. I want a chance at a World Series. That’s one thing that really drives me. I want a chance to pitch every fourth day instead of every fifth. That really drives me. Going along with that: how’s the medical staff? How’s the technology — the information that’s available on the coaching staff? What’s the culture of the organization like?”
Thats exactly what I'd love to see happen. Just go with your four best, use a bullpen day as needed or bring a kid from AAA.

I like Bauer already. Can agree though, based on all he said, he won't come here. Good read though-

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ssion=true

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:27 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 am
Petert wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:32 pm
bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 pm
Just browsing through the guys I think Dipoto could look at this offseason based on where their teams are at in terms of contention, a couple stand out so far-

Joe Musgrove SP - Pirates
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/joe-m ... position=P

Dylan Bundy SP - Angels
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/dylan ... position=P

Lance Lynn SP - Rangers
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/lance ... position=P

Jacob deGrom SP - Mets
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jacob ... position=P

Jose Cisneros RP - Tigers
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jose- ... position=P

One thing thats pretty eye popping is while Gerritt Cole has been worth 1.4 WAR this season, Trevor Bauer was tipping the scales at 2.5.

I could see them adding a LF/1B/DH type if they believe they can contend in 2021. They need some form of White insurance.

Michael Conforto - Mets
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/micha ... osition=OF

I like the idea of chasing Musgrove or Bundy, if it looks like going after Bauer becomes moot either because of disinterest on Bauer's behalf, or complacency on DiPoto's. Lynn, I think is getting up there, and being locked into a favorable contract with Texas, you think they'd want to hold onto him under those terms unless bowled over by an offer. Cisnero is a little on the older side as well, although his arm, not having the 1500+ innings of work that Lynn's has undergone, is probably in a more youthful condition.

(I may have mentioned it somewhere else, but if we can't get Bauer, a combination signing of either Robbie Ray or Alex Wood, along with Taijuan Walker is interesting to me, although there's probably a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.)

Conforto, being a local boy as well, would be an attractive target. The Mets, though, are transferring to new ownership. I feel they are going to want to preserve their better assets in a combined effort to field a very competitive team, and in no small way, placate the fan base (Conforto being a fan favorite, and just maybe would not want to see him go anywhere, least of all us, in light of their soreness over the Cano/Diaz deal). I think they'll re-sign him, and look to add to their team via free agency. For the same reason, I don't think DeGrom is going anywhere, being signed through 2023 (I think).

It's a ways off, but the one guy from the Mets who does intrigue me is Noah Syndergaard. He'll miss most, if not all, of next season because of TJ, by the end of which time his contract is up. Depending on how Mets front office views pursuing him (or not), he could be an interesting flyer candidate for the 21-22 season.
I'd be happy to get Taijuan Walker back or James Paxton. Both would be relatively cheap signings with ties to the NW.
TJ yes. Pax, F no. Why do we need to be cheap?????
dt