How do you think the M's will spend money?

IStillLoveTheMs

How do you think the M's will spend money?

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Question 1: Will they ever? If not, why not?

Question 2: If they will, how will they spend it? On what?

Question 3: Where do you anticipate the M's payroll will be in 2022 (keep in mind their payroll was $160+ million in 2018)?

Question 4: If they don't spend money, will you continue to put up with the losing?

D-train

Re: How do you think the M's will spend money?

Post by D-train » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 pm

They will spend a little this off season....on relievers. I would expect they spend next off season to fill any holes that still remain. Hopefully there won't be many.
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 pm
They will spend a little this off season....on relievers. I would expect they spend next off season to fill any holes that still remain. Hopefully there won't be many.
I get what you're saying.

But on what holes? Where? And how much?

If the M's roll with a lineup that features guys like JP Crawford, Shed Long and make worthless signings like Phillip Ervin heading into 2022. Plus a pitching staff where Tai Walker is your big signing and you're relying on the Justin Dunns of the world to complete the back end of your staff... I'm not sure how much more I can be a fan.

We're not the A's or Rays. We're a medium to big market team and we shouldn't be building our roster that way.

If the M's don't push their payroll well north of $100 million I'm not sure how much more I can continue doing this. It feels like a waste of time to support a team where ownership promises a rebuild and then robs us blind.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:37 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:47 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 pm
I get what you're saying.

But on what holes? Where? And how much?

If the M's roll with a lineup that features guys like JP Crawford, Shed Long and make worthless signings like Phillip Ervin heading into 2022. Plus a pitching staff where Tai Walker is your big signing and you're relying on the Justin Dunns of the world to complete the back end of your staff... I'm not sure how much more I can be a fan.

We're not the A's or Rays. We're a medium to big market team and we shouldn't be building our roster that way.

If the M's don't push their payroll well north of $100 million I'm not sure how much more I can continue doing this. It feels like a waste of time to support a team where ownership promises a rebuild and then robs us blind.
We won't know what the holes are until the end of next season. I am guessing they will be at 1B, maybe SS and a SP. Believe me you will keep doing it. I have been following this team through the desert for over 43 years. Only other option is to lay down and die.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:22 am

DT is right.

The one caveat being, to me, that we shouldn't worry about blocking a #5 starting pitcher if we can add a #1.

Dunn getting forced to AAA or Kikuchi to the bullpen where I think he could actually thrive are acceptable outcomes when the byproduct is adding an ace to the front of the rotation as the team matures.

Marco Gonzales as our #2 instead of our ace and we're in business.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:49 am

Lineup next season

1B White
2B Moore
SS Crawford
3B Seager
DH/3B France
LF/1B Marmelojos (until Kelenic comes up)
CF Lewis
RF Haniger
C Murph/Torrens

Util Shed, Lopes, Walton.

SP, Gonzales, Kikuchi, Dunn, Sheffield, Marfevecius

I could see them adding another utility type, and starting pitcher. Other than that they mostly roll with what they have. Wherever they have holes, I see a trade as the most likely scenario, either at the deadline or offseason after 2021 season. I don't think they will sign any big name free agents.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:51 am

This year:
Like previously stated
pen help
Maybe a starter
Haniger should be back and Lewis showed he is a probably piece moving forward

The top 2 outfield prospects in baseball Kelenic and Jrod are M's not to mention Taylor Trammel

Kelenic and Trammel should be ready to work their way onto the mlb stage next year

The infield seems set
3B Seager
ss Crawford
2B Moore
1B White
DH France or 2nd, 3rd, 1B
C Murphy-Torrens
Rotation has 4 pieces now
Marco, Sheff, Kik, Dunn
Just like Kelenic Gilbert is ready now and Hancock and Kirby more like 2022

I think we could compete for a playoff spot next year with Bauer and one of the top BP guys
Hendricks, Colome, Triennen
I think the BP has a new Sugar Diaz OTW in
Andres Munoz
I am confident that
Kendall Gravemann can be another really good BP guy
Yohan Ramirez 2.61 ERA
Magill, Gerber, Guilbeau, Brenan, Fletcher, Yacabonus, Delaplane, Hamilton, Warren
I am pretty confident in Munoz, Gravemann, and Yohan, add an Colome-Hendricks and I am sure Dipoet can get another 3 or 4 of hose listed to ne healthy and performing well

Count me in on Bauer and Colome for a BC offseason and we could be off to the races

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:10 am

There are 2 teams in Major League Baseball who finished in the top 6 (normal season playoff seeds) record wise for the AL and NL that are comprised almost solely of players they brought up through their organization. That's the A's and Rays.

Both organizations are small market and have a strategy to make this work. They accept that there will come a time when a group of players they've developed will move on to other organizations and their window to compete will be over until they develop their next crop. If you look at the season history of both these organizations... you'll see it's almost like clockwork: for 5 years they suck, for 5 years they're great, for 5 years they suck, for 5 years they're great... rinse and repeat.

Again, only 2 clubs do this.

The Mariners are not the A's, nor are they the Rays. And I'm not sure it's a strategy we want to adopt or are even capable of employing.

Every other team has a roster composed of about 5-6 starting position players and 2-3 starting pitchers that were raised through their own organization. The rest of their players were either recently acquired through trade, were signed for relatively cheap in free agency, or were signed to mega contracts in free agency. Most teams have at least one player who is making well north of $20 million a season that was acquired relatively recently.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the team the M's finally make the playoffs with will come close to resembling the almost entirely home-built roster they're putting forward in 2021. Why? Because they're not the A's or Rays.

They better get to trading and spending.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:21 pm

I agree. They should be supplementing this roster with the best players they can get.

We already know they currently only have 3 holes, including 1B- if you include it.

We know they won't replace White this season. So that leaves us with clear vacancies at SP and RP.

Adding an ace starting pitcher at this point is a no-brainer imo.

Our best options, aside from Bauer, would likely be a trade with a bad team for a starting pitcher who is two-ish years from free agency.

What you're describing, ISLTM, is the same strategy that was employed by the greatest baseball mind I've ever known, Jeff, "doc", "jumanji", at Seattle Sports Insider, the Stars & Scrubs strategy.

Means supplement your young foundation, which we clearly have, with the best possible players you can.

The Mariners have brilliantly positioned themselves to deploy this strategy if they choose to. Up until this offseason it certainly looks more like they're trying to mirror the A's and Rays.

If they start adding 1-2 great players every year, and replace them with great players as the contracts expire, the M's are perfectly set up for Stars & Scrubs. Money goes to stars, arbitration and the minimum wage filler, as it should be, imo.

Young players can give you the 0-2 WAR range that Dipoto has seemed to be chasing in his past free agent signings without paying for it.

Dipoto needs to go for the 4-6 WAR player if he's going to put money into it. I wouldn't pay for 0-2 WAR, but I'd pay $12.5M per WAR for every win they bring over 2.

Paying for the first 2 WAR a player provides is a fools errand. That's what your best young players should provide.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 pm

I think of all the years to add a DH/1B, this may be the year.

Haniger in RF, Moore starts in LF, France at 2B.

Gives us time for Kelenic to work his way up.

Haniger, White and the new 1B/DH can fight for the two spots that will be available when Kelenic comes up moving Moore or France to the UTIL role until Seager leaves after the season.

If White struggles, send him down.

If Moore or France struggle, they move to UTIL.

Either way I think we have the right mix of players to be able to add some Evan White insurance.