Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:05 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm

I would like to hear why its a good article. LOL

Basically says good orgs let guys walk into FA all the time so we should too. Uh maybe because those teams were going to be in the Playoffs??? :idea:
Its good because it sheds light on the fact that there isn't a high return for veteran outfielders. So people getting their hopes thinking there's some kind of dream package waiting for us if we trade Haniger are sadly mistaken. Its the reality of the business.
Sure but saying you should keep him because other teams haven't got great returns in the past is absurd and irrelevant. You listen to offers and if one makes sense then you do it, if not, you don't.
I think if this article proves anything is that a few of these players moved on to have All Star level careers post being traded… the return all these teams got back has amounted to diddly shit. God the compensation is awful 😂 You don’t think the Tigers wish they still had an OF of Martinez and Castellanos?

Mannn they gave up 2 of the best hitters in baseball for nothing. That’s insane.

D-train

Re: Mitch talks Trade and Other baseball stuff

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Its good because it sheds light on the fact that there isn't a high return for veteran outfielders. So people getting their hopes thinking there's some kind of dream package waiting for us if we trade Haniger are sadly mistaken. Its the reality of the business.
Sure but saying you should keep him because other teams haven't got great returns in the past is absurd and irrelevant. You listen to offers and if one makes sense then you do it, if not, you don't.
That’s all Larkins had to say. But be never did
Exactly, lists trades from 2017. So the Mets didn't get a great return for a 2 month rental of 36 yo Curtis Granderson 4 years ago so I guess JD should turn off his phone. Like I said he usually has good material, I just think he missed the mark this time.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 pm
D-train wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

I think if this article proves anything is that a few of these players moved on to have All Star level careers post being traded… the return all these teams got back has amounted to diddly shit. God the compensation is awful 😂 You don’t think the Tigers wish they still had an OF of Martinez and Castellanos?

Mannn they gave up 2 of the best hitters in baseball for nothing. That’s insane.
Red Sox did pretty well trading Heathcliffe Slocumb for Varitek and Lowe. Braves did pretty well trading Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. O's did pretty well trading Bedard for Jones. Padres did ok trading James Shields for Fernando Tatis Jr. Jeff Bagwell to the Astros for Larry Anderson. :shock:

That's just off the top of my head. Easy to list a bunch of trades that didn't work out to try confirm you point and vice versa.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:35 pm

Now here are couple of great trades. LOL
Shannon Drayer
@shannondrayer
·
1m
Mariners with a couple of roster moves today. Yacksel Rios who was dfa'd last week has been traded to Boston for cash and SS Andres Mesa sent to Texas as the PTBNL in the Rafael Montero trade.
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
D-train wrote:

Red Sox did pretty well trading Heathcliffe Slocumb for Varitek and Lowe. Braves did pretty well trading Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. O's did pretty well trading Bedard for Jones. Padres did ok trading James Shields for Fernando Tatis Jr. Jeff Bagwell to the Astros for Larry Anderson. :shock:

That's just off the top of my head. Easy to list a bunch of trades that didn't work out to try confirm you point and vice versa.
There’s just no way IMO that even 25% of trades for proven MLB talent ever compensate for the production you traded.

Didn’t for Randy Johnson. Didn’t for Griffey.

Slocumb was 0-5 with a 5.79 ERA in Boston when the M’s traded for him. I doubt GM’s are as stupid as they were then and I’m sure organizations have a much better grasp on farm today than ever before.

A Shields for Tatis Jr. trade is once in a generation. Many thought the White Sox were dumb as shit too.
Last edited by IStillLoveTheMs on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm

I would like to hear why its a good article. LOL

Basically says good orgs let guys walk into FA all the time so we should too. Uh maybe because those teams were going to be in the Playoffs??? :idea:
Of course you listen to offers. All I'm saying is be realistic. If the right offer isn't there, don't trade him just to trade him. The deal has to be worth it.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:46 pm
D-train wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Of course you listen to offers. All I'm saying is be realistic. If the right offer isn't there, don't trade him just to trade him. The deal has to be worth it.

I think you both got to the same spot

Many here just believe Jerry will get fleeced and maybe so...but Mitch is gone soon whether you trade him or not. The only other thing is extend him and that’s difficult with our coming outfield. So you extend him and then trade one of the future outfielders lol. I’m not ready to prepurchase my playoff ticket package for next year..........You be sitting in an empty stadium in October in Seattle........ probably 2 yrs away

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm

You know who could use a right handed bat, the Rays, and Dipoto likes dealing with them

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm
You know who could use a right handed bat, the Rays, and Dipoto likes dealing with them
I've read there farm system is pretty good as well.
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:

There’s just no way IMO that even 25% of trades for proven MLB talent ever compensate for the production you traded.

Didn’t for Randy Johnson. Didn’t for Griffey.

Slocumb was 0-5 with a 5.79 ERA in Boston when the M’s traded for him. I doubt GM’s are as stupid as they were then and I’m sure organizations have a much better grasp on farm today than ever before.

A Shields for Tatis Jr. trade is once in a generation. Many thought the White Sox were dumb as shit too.
Ummm it worked out very well in the Griffey trade. Mike Cameron thoroughly out played Griffey in the 4 years he played here. It was just dumb of the FO not to sign him to a longer deal.