Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

Juliooooo

Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:57 pm

I wanted a thread for any trade targets you guys might be interested in. I'm personally more interested in trading for guys that will be on Mariners long term, but are close to MLB ready and will help in 2022 and beyond. This is a thread for brainstorming, and just to get an idea of players and teams that might be interesting to look at. Teams aren't likely to be giving up top 5 prospects, but there are plenty of guys that are lower in their rankings, that may be intriguing. Jake Fraley, Mitch Haniger, Ty France, etc... were all guys that seemed to blossom later in their minor league development and Dipoto found out of the blue.

Also, if you think the Mariners should be buyers, curious what guys you would target and what kind of package you think they should get. Please don't use this as a thread to bash others ideas, or opinions of if M's should be sellers or buyers.

I don't think Mariners will be able to pry away Nolan Gorman from St Louis, but he is blocked by a better Nolan at 3B there. Nolan Jones from the Indians seems intriguing as well, but they probably won't be buyers.

I do wonder if they might be able to get Jake Burger from the White Sox though. They have Moncada at 3B and Abreu at 1B. They also have Gavin Sheets who is a 1B prospect that is currently playing OF for them and could put Abreu in more of a DH role. Burger was a top pick, but got injured in 2018, and had a set back. He missed 3 years of minor league development, but doesn't look like he's missed a beat with a .964 OPS in AAA, and has recently made his MLB debut. Haniger and a maybe Chargois to help them make a push this year for Jake Burger and a few Lower tier lottery type prospects?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Re: Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Kyle Gibson and Nelson Cruz is where I'd start knocking

Wouldn't hesitate going after the prospects you mentioned either, Dipoto's not bad at finding unknowns

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:10 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:01 pm
Kyle Gibson and Nelson Cruz is where I'd start knocking
Neither should be too expensive, and Gibson is under contract for pretty cheap in 2022. Good bridge for some of our minor league pitchers who will be teetering on the brink of MLB in 2022. How worried should we be that he's only had 1 other season under 4.0 ERA and he'll be 34? Curious what he'll go for if he's traded.

I'd love to get Cruz back, maybe they would take a Jake Scheiner, or maybe someone like Jack Larsen?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 pm

Nolan Gorman and Bret Baty
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:17 pm

Probably pretty worried!

But, his numbers aren't messing around. He appears to have figured something out, I haven't looked much into him.

Cruz shouldn't cost much. Although we got a Juan Then for a lesser player.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 pm
What do the Mets need, and why would they trade Baty? Doesn't seem to be blocked by anyone long term. Are the Mets really going to trade another 1st round pick to the Mariners with their JK PTSD?

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm
D-train wrote:
What do the Mets need, and why would they trade Baty? Doesn't seem to be blocked by anyone long term. Are the Mets really going to trade another 1st round pick to the Mariners with their JK PTSD?
Maybe they could use a closer :lol:

*edit (This joke's not as funny now that Diaz is doing well)

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:25 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:17 pm
Probably pretty worried!

But, his numbers aren't messing around. He appears to have figured something out, I haven't looked much into him.

Trade Haniger for some a solid infield prospect, then get Nelson Cruz to replace his right handed bat in the middle of the lineup. You improve the team this year, and you get help long term, preferably at 3B. That would be my ideal win/win scenario. You should get quite a bit more back from Haniger than you would need to give up for Cruz.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:25 pm
bpj wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:17 pm
Probably pretty worried!

Trade Haniger for some a solid infield prospect, then get Nelson Cruz to replace his right handed bat in the middle of the lineup. You improve the team this year, and you get help long term, preferably at 3B. That would be my ideal win/win scenario. You should get quite a bit more back from Haniger than you would need to give up for Cruz.
Agreed, look at Hanigers splits, he's being affected by TMobile like nearly everybody.

They should get a good return on Haniger.

At the same time, you're right, the market for Cruz is going to be small. Most contenders already have a DH and everybody in the world knows the Twins have no reason to keep him. They would probably throw in Pineda if we covered the salaries.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210710-082909_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-082909_DuckDuckGo.jpg (27.38 KiB) Viewed 950 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm
D-train wrote:
Mets OFer OPS

Mitch + Campbell + Shenton
dt