It's nice for Seattle to be mentioned as a "model"

AT Funchal-Madeira

It's nice for Seattle to be mentioned as a "model"

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:12 pm

The Mets are of course deeply disappointed with the performance of the club..... lots of injuries, especially to the rotation, Lindor did not perform up to expectations, and of course there's Cano....

But I loved this comment from a Mets fan:

Coney Island _ Joen
14 hours ago

"Fans love homegrown talent. The Chaim Bloom small market approach yield success. Trade for good prospect with veterans. Rebuild farm teams, and add talent when ready, not before! Study Tampa Bay, Seattle, and Boston for the stellar rebuilds."

Study Seattle for "stellar rebuilds"? It's nice to have fans in New York brimming with jealousy for anything Seattle does.....

D-train

Re: It's nice for Seattle to be mentioned as a "model"

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:36 pm

They must have assumed our prospects led us to 90 wins when in fact only one, Gilbert had any part of it. He was the only home grown prospect with higher than 0.5 WAR this season.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:37 pm

Maybe the prospects will contribute significantly next season but this season they were more of a drag than a force.
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:05 am

...and here I was thinking it was a balsa wood model, the type that would crack after one or two flights. :D

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:16 pm

Yeah The Jury is still majorly out on the rebuild.
I consider JP and France to be part of the rebuild since they were barely major leaguers when they were traded for. But other then those two, The bulk of the WAR on this team came from Established vets and lucky scrap heap acquisitions. Behind France and Crawford the next guys on the WAR list are Haniger, Seager, Flexen, Marco, Steckenrider, Sadler, KK, Graveman and Sewald. Not a single one of those guys are part of the supposed "rebuild" Dipoto gets credit for finding guys on the scrap heap that can contribute but I don't think that is a model that can be counted on to produce a consistent winner.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:16 pm
Yeah The Jury is still majorly out on the rebuild.
I consider JP and France to be part of the rebuild since they were barely major leaguers when they were traded for. But other then those two, The bulk of the WAR on this team came from Established vets and lucky scrap heap acquisitions. Behind France and Crawford the next guys on the WAR list are Haniger, Seager, Flexen, Marco, Steckenrider, Sadler, KK, Graveman and Sewald. Not a single one of those guys are part of the supposed "rebuild" Dipoto gets credit for finding guys on the scrap heap that can contribute but I don't think that is a model that can be counted on to produce a consistent winner.
Agree but for the record Gilbert put up 2.2 fWAR. Praying JRod is the first position player to meet expectations and actually contribute from the get go.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:33 pm

Was going off of bWAR

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:33 pm
Was going off of bWAR
Ah...yes I wish those two would align on pitching WAR. Its so annoying.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Coney Island _ Joen wrote: "Fans love homegrown talent. The Chaim Bloom small market approach yield success. Trade for good prospect with veterans. Rebuild farm teams, and add talent when ready, not before! Study Tampa Bay, Seattle, and Boston for the stellar rebuilds."
D-train wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:36 pm
They must have assumed our prospects led us to 90 wins when in fact only one, Gilbert had any part of it. He was the only home grown prospect with higher than 0.5 WAR this season.
I agree with DT. The perception in baseball will be rife that the rebuild has led to the 90 wins when we know that couldn't be further from the truth. The experts will be predicting a year of contending based on our prospects. Reality is that we must repeat the stellar bullpen performance, win lots of close games and even find 100 RBIs to replace Seager's output just to stand still. That's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Wrong thread but its going to be an important off-season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:18 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm
Coney Island _ Joen wrote: "Fans love homegrown talent. The Chaim Bloom small market approach yield success. Trade for good prospect with veterans. Rebuild farm teams, and add talent when ready, not before! Study Tampa Bay, Seattle, and Boston for the stellar rebuilds."
D-train wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:36 pm
I agree with DT. The perception in baseball will be rife that the rebuild has led to the 90 wins when we know that couldn't be further from the truth. The experts will be predicting a year of contending based on our prospects. Reality is that we must repeat the stellar bullpen performance, win lots of close games and even find 100 RBIs to replace Seager's output just to stand still. That's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Wrong thread but its going to be an important off-season.
Yep will be interesting if JD ignores RD and goes pretty much status quo after focusing on 2018 RD to drive the decision to rebuild because it suited his needs to maintain job security.
dt