Minor League Updates

D-train

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 am
and guess who is behind it, Darth Vader!...as if you needed another reason to hate on him...
As if they aren’t squarely involved in enough transgressions against baseball, we should not be at all surprised to know the Houston Astros — the Jeff Luhnow Houston Astros — were the ringleaders of the MLB plan to essentially destroy grass roots baseball and contract 42 of the 160 minor league teams.
I’m told that when Manfred presented this plan to the owners a few months ago, the vote was unanimous 30-0 to move forward. It was Luhnow, the godfather of analytics, and the Astros who first conceived of it, and they were quickly joined by the Brewers and Orioles, whose GMs — David Stearns and Mike Elias — both worked under Luhnow with the Astros. The rest of the teams apparently just said ‘OK’ without any discussion of the ramifications of such as a drastic attack on the minor leagues and all these communities across the country.
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/base ... story.html
Saw that. His days could be numbered. Captain should go down with the ship.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:03 am

Jeff Luhnow?...doubt he is in danger of that.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... 832397.php

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:26 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:03 am
Jeff Luhnow?...doubt he is in danger of that.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... 832397.php
We shall see. WS winning GMs have got canned before. Just ask Dombrowski.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 am

sure, i just think him and Crane are a lot tighter than Dombrowski was with the Sox. Dombrowski was brought in to get them a WS and he did it, hired gun, the Sox moved on to the next phase. I don't know a thing about Crane, but something tells me those two think alike, they built the organization together from scratch, i think they feel they are just getting going. Sure if Crane decided to take the club in a different direction, that decision would be more noteworthy than Dombrowski and the Sox

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:58 am

here is an article damning Luhnow with all the things that can be construed to be amoral or underhanded, his anything to win approach. I don't think you go down that road to begin with unless the owner is in agreement. He could see a PR issue but i doubt he sees a moral one. I bet he likes the winning too much to actually fire Luhnow. He might feel compelled to rein him in somehow

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/ ... na-taubman

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:58 am
here is an article damning Luhnow with all the things that can be construed to be amoral or underhanded, his anything to win approach. I don't think you go down that road to begin with unless the owner is in agreement. He could see a PR issue but i doubt he sees a moral one. I bet he likes the winning too much to actually fire Luhnow. He might feel compelled to rein him in somehow

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/ ... na-taubman
The Al Davis approach. Just win baby.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:32 am

it was the Astros that were victimized back when he was first hired, the Cardinals stealing their data. Maybe Luhnow said, the hell with this, i can play that game too

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 am

Perhaps Crane will fire him for being dumb enough to be caught.

Astros are going to come out of this with one WS title, two major scandals and one of the harshest punishments ever. I wonder how they will be remembered in 5, 10, 20 or 50 years. :lol:
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:48 am

The Braves lost 10-12 international prospects plus some draft losses the next couple years when they cheated on the international market.

I dont think the punishment will be as harsh for the Astros unless they installed special equipment, which could mean trouble for them.

Still doubt they get hammered as hard as the Braves did, what do you guys think?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/11/22/mlb-p ... vin-maitan

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 am

it was special equipment as I understand it, they had a camera in center field hooked to a monitor in the clubhouse from where they relayed the pitches to the hitters.

In terms of the Braves, don't know if i'd call taking away the international signings a penalty, those were the ill-gotten gains. Wonder if Manfred will do suspensions
The Braves' penalties include the forfeiture of 13 international prospects, strict restrictions on the international market over the next three years and the loss of their third-round pick for the 2018 Draft. MLB also placed Coppolella on the permanently ineligible list and Blakeley has been given a one-year suspension.
Atlanta will be prohibited from signing any international player for more than $10,000 during the 2019-20 signing period and its international signing bonus pool for the 2020-21 signing period will be reduced by 50 percent.