Re: Minor League Updates

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 am
D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 am

LOL its so funny to me that they seem to always do that. Can they not make the decision before the game??????????????? :lol:
Right. Maybe its for the Drama. I remember hearing about Alvarez for Houston, who was pissed when he was pulled midgame from the on deck circle iirc, then he learned that he was being promoted. Worked out OK so far for him.

Gilbert done with 6.0 ip. 0 ER 4 H, 1 BB, 8 K.
Gilbert is without a doubt JDs best draft pick and not close.
I'm encouraged about Dipoto's ability to draft. Lewis is coming along, and he would have drafted Dunn had Lewis been taken earlier. (Dunn said himself when he was first traded that the Mariners told him there was one hitter they would draft if he was still available). He also had Kelenic as his favorite player last year, and made the right pick with Gilbert since he wasn't available. He's now got all 4... Who knows where Kirby was on his list, but that is OK so far. Next year he'll have more options in whats apparently a stronger draft at the top.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am

I was calling for Dipotos head not all that long ago, but he has done a complete 180 since Jeff Kingston left.

I have a theory that Jeff Kingston was behind the early bad ideas that Dipoto was running with because as soon as he was gone Dipoto started taking a different approach to players he acquired.

Then, that theory gets immediately blown up by Kingston getting hired by a much smarter front office, so I don't know.

In any case the minor league system alone earns Dipoto a couple more seasons at this point.

They've been making all the right moves. Z would have had offers on the table for Encarnacion and Leake, but we'd still be watching them play because he was too scared of having a Chris Taylor situation happen to him to pull the trigger on anything.

Dipoto flips the bird at the past and keeps rolling on his vision, and improving at the same time, so it would be hard to complain at this point, especially given what eventually happened with the "mistakes" like Luiz Gohara.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Gohara hasn't pitched this season and was horrible last season. JDs two biggest mistakes were Healy and Gordon. Thought Nick Neidert sucking this season has made the Gordon trade less horrible. I am still convinced that he got Gordon because he knew Cano was going to get popped though.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 pm
Gohara hasn't pitched this season and was horrible last season. JDs two biggest mistakes were Healy and Gordon. Thought Nick Neidert sucking this season has made the Gordon trade less horrible. I am still convinced that he got Gordon because he knew Cano was going to get popped though.
Gohara was in a group with a series of trades that included Yarbrough as well in order to get Smyly. That was a really bad series of trades. I agree about Gordon. They wanted insurance because they were competing and needed a 2B, then Cano conveniently broke his hand.

As far as Niedert, he's a 22 year old pitching in the 2019 PCL and has been injured. I don't think we can make any assertions about him and the 22 innings he's pitched the this year. His 5.48 ERA might be above league average :)
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm
D-train wrote:
Gohara was in a group with a series of trades that included Yarbrough as well in order to get Smyly. That was a really bad series of trades. I agree about Gordon. They wanted insurance because they were competing and needed a 2B, then Cano conveniently broke his hand.

As far as Niedert, he's a 22 year old pitching in the 2019 PCL and has been injured. I don't think we can make any assertions about him and the 22 innings he's pitched the this year. His 5.48 ERA might be above league average :)
Good points on Nick. That one will still likely cause even more pain going forward. If Smyly didn't get injured and we make the playoffs those trade (s) look(s) a lot better.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm
D-train wrote:

Good points on Nick. That one will still likely cause even more pain going forward. If Smyly didn't get injured and we make the playoffs those trade (s) look(s) a lot better.
Don't forget about Burrows. Hard throwing lefty reliever. #16 on a pretty good Braves farm system, although struggling a bit in AAA this year at 4.75 ERA, should still be an MLB reliever.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 am
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 am

Right. Maybe its for the Drama. I remember hearing about Alvarez for Houston, who was pissed when he was pulled midgame from the on deck circle iirc, then he learned that he was being promoted. Worked out OK so far for him.

Gilbert done with 6.0 ip. 0 ER 4 H, 1 BB, 8 K.
I'm encouraged about Dipoto's ability to draft. Lewis is coming along, and he would have drafted Dunn had Lewis been taken earlier. (Dunn said himself when he was first traded that the Mariners told him there was one hitter they would draft if he was still available). He also had Kelenic as his favorite player last year, and made the right pick with Gilbert since he wasn't available. He's now got all 4... Who knows where Kirby was on his list, but that is OK so far. Next year he'll have more options in whats apparently a stronger draft at the top.
He couldn't draft at all in Anaheim. He had 4 drafts and only had two guys stick as marginal players at the big league level.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:44 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 am
D-train wrote:

He couldn't draft at all in Anaheim. He had 4 drafts and only had two guys stick as marginal players at the big league level.
I find that preferable to the alternative of drafting great for them and terribly for us.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm

dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm
Another prospect list.

https://www.prospects1500.com/al-west/m ... prospects/
Newsome seems high. Campbell seems low. Otherwise not bad imo.