Re: The one that got away... Game thread 8/11/19 Rays at Seattle

Post by Bil522 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:56 pm
Hy Feiber wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:47 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:34 pm
Yarbrough goes 8.2 ip, 3 H, and is taken out with 1 out to go so they can get a right on right matchup...

And in comes Emilio Pagan. Good thing we have Healy sitting in a hospital bed rather than Pagan... Another good pitcher that Dipoto gave up on.
More stupid Modern Baseball, your starter’s mowing down everybody, righties no problem, but That final righty, gotta get the “reliever.”

What Crap.
Yet the Rays manage to be second in East, and hold tight to the second wildcard spot, despite having essentially the same OPS as Mariners, and fewer runs scored.
It is amazing what pitching and defense can do for you...it is like re-inventing the wheel....just keep doing what works

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Hy Feiber wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:34 pm
Yarbrough goes 8.2 ip, 3 H, and is taken out with 1 out to go so they can get a right on right matchup...

And in comes Emilio Pagan. Good thing we have Healy sitting in a hospital bed rather than Pagan... Another good pitcher that Dipoto gave up on.
More stupid Modern Baseball, your starter’s mowing down everybody, righties no problem, but That final righty, gotta get the “reliever.”

What Crap.
Yet the Rays manage to be second in East, and hold tight to the second wildcard spot, despite having essentially the same OPS as Mariners, and fewer runs scored.
I critiqued 1 decision; somehow, with three starters on the DL, and a AAA-looking lineup, they’re solid.

Snell has been mediocre btw.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 am

Hy Feiber wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Hy Feiber wrote:

What Crap.
I critiqued 1 decision; somehow, with three starters on the DL, and a AAA-looking lineup, they’re solid.

Right, I'm just pointing out how Rays will make that move every time. They stick to their analytics, and is working. You have to put your ego to the side if you play for them
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:25 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 am
Hy Feiber wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 am
Juliooooo wrote:

Right, I'm just pointing out how Rays will make that move every time. They stick to their analytics, and is working. You have to put your ego to the side if you play for them
I’d like to see how Drysdale would react if Walter Alston motioned for a reliever with 1 out from a complete game 3-hit shutout!

My how The Game has changed!

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 am

Also, it must be pretty demoralizing for a guy like LeBlanc to take the mound knowing that he has no shot at a perfect game.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 am
Also, it must be pretty demoralizing for a guy like LeBlanc to take the mound knowing that he has no shot at a perfect game.
Wasn't that the case as a starter as well?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 am

Tampa fans almost unanimous in disagreeing with the decision.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status ... 8007417856
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 am

Yeah, that was a really dumb decision, too bad the baseball gods were out taking a whiz.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 am

Obviously it was a better matchup having Pagan vs. Santana but a couple things made it a silly move.

1. Santana was hitting .149 36 strikeouts in his past 22 games.
2. He had to know that SS would pinch hit Omar for Santana.

So it wasn't Yarborough or Pagan vs. Santana it was either Yarborough vs. Santana or Pagan vs. Omar. Not even close to being enough of a difference to pull Yarborough.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 am

sure they are not happy with it, Yarbrough isn't happy with it, analytics have taken the fun out of baseball...Cash doesn't strike me as an Eisenhower either but the Rays manage to win...Rays haven't had a complete game in three seasons

“I don't think how we kind of go about things that anything surprises us anymore,” Yarbrough said. “But at the same time, you're obviously wanting to finish a ballgame.”
“Obviously, a little angry,” Yarbrough said. “But I think [Cash] would want me to be. I think he would want me to want to finish it. I don't think I have any ill-will about it or anything. Obviously, Emilio came in and did a great job, and we won the ballgame and got a series sweep against a team that beat us up last year. We're real excited about that, honestly, and we'll have a happy flight and go to San Diego.”
“We're in the spot where we've got to win games,” Cash said. “We're going to stay consistent to the decisions that have gotten us to this point. Those guys are really good in the clubhouse. Obviously, they want the best for their teammates and I certainly do, too, but I liked the matchup that we got.”
https://www.mlb.com/news/ryan-yarbrough ... f-mariners