Catch a toothless Tiger by the tongue game thread

D-train

Re: Catch a toothless Tiger by the tongue game thread

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 am
WOW! it's not quite Boonie/Cameron, but two straight back to backs by Seager and Murphy. I think those might be the only two times in franchise history (although it had to have happened sometime in the 90s too one would think) that's happened in the same game, with the of course the first one taking place in the first inning in Chicago. No matter how much baseball you've seen there's always something new.
I don't think it has happened any other time. Would have remembered that and I know you would have too! :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 am

Seager's OPS at .756. :shock: If he finished the season close to .800 he might be tradeable.
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 am
WOW! it's not quite Boonie/Cameron, but two straight back to backs by Seager and Murphy. I think those might be the only two times in franchise history (although it had to have happened sometime in the 90s too one would think) that's happened in the same game, with the of course the first one taking place in the first inning in Chicago. No matter how much baseball you've seen there's always something new.
Mariner social media is now going to be insufferable. :D

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 am
Petert wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:03 am
Changing the subject for a second:

I see that Tom Murphy’s nickname is ”Stasiu”. Now, being half Polish, being raised in a Polish neighborhood, I kind of know my Polish surnames. And Murphy ain’t one.

So, how’d he get this tag ?
You see... When a man loves a woman, and so on and so forth... then the baby takes the dad's last name.

At least something along those lines would be my guess.
I should have clarified. “Stasiu” is Polish for ‘Stanley’. I didn’t see that listed as his name, hence the question. ;)

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:53 am

I mentioned this in the minors thread, but Kyle Lewis pulled mid game defensively for Arkansas. Eerily similar to what happened to Kelenic a few nights ago. Tacoma? Seattle perhaps?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:07 am

Hanjag wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:01 am
Petert wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:10 am
It will be really interesting to see if Kikuchi can handle these guys tonight. If they rack him up, or he pitches himself out of the game, I’ll have lost a lot of what remaining faith I had in him.
This is one of the huge disappointments. Kikuchi was not cheap he is locked on for 4/39 with 4 year club, or 1-year player option. If he was looking like another at least Marco G level player:( that is a guy you can count on to be at least a 2.5 WAR starter #2,#3 ) then you could say good investment. But now he is basically last couple years of Felix. Maybe he needs to be BP for a while or sent to Tacoma FFS. The other rotation guys: Not many really thought Felix would rejuvenate himself, LeBlanc the savior,,not.

Position players: Mallex probably is a leading candidate for biggest disappointment. Tim Beckham, especially after the hot start. Seager and Haniger with lengthy injuries. Dee is not having a career year.

They need to do something about Kikuchi now. I think sending him down to Tacoma or the BP would be a good start.

This. Is ‘ucking fugly. I can see how the Ms FO would downplay his errant performances, given the amount of hoopla, money, and future prognostications that all went into his signing. It would look pretty bad for JD. So, I don’t think we’re going to see him in Tacoma (their season is winding down anyway). I *could* see them pulling strings and working to get Kikuchi under some sort of tutelage/mentorship, maybe with a former, well-respected Mariner hurler (who the team still has a relationship with), perhaps like Moyer. That would save face for everyone. Not sure how effective it’d be, if at all.
Attachments
B41B695A-34B7-4C04-9E98-F42FF31F2BDD.jpeg

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:08 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 am
Seager's OPS at .756. :shock: If he finished the season close to .800 he might be tradeable.
That would he awesome! Let's hope!

Not trying to nitpick your comment, I have the same hope, just adding that it's pretty amazing how little production we demand (and get) from our players.

Even an .800 OPS would be good for 18th of 25 third basemen if Seager had enough PA. :shock:

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 am

JP Crawford needs to get back on track. His numbers are still OK, because of a really good stretch in June. Hopefully its a slump and not an indication of who he is. Definitely needs to improve against LHP. He's been pretty bad, although a pretty small sample still at just 68 AB this year (before tonight) .176/.278/.191/.469
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:37 am

I don’t believe it. :D

I mean, I know his bat heats up late in the season, but this is a hot bat, even for him....

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:41 am

Did that REALLY just happen? LOL
Kyle Seager, 11th Mariner to hit 3 home runs in a game.
I think the others are:
Junior
Edgar
Lopez
Brantley
Burroughs
Cammy (4)
Wilson
Presley
A÷Rod?

Well, that's one or two short for me.
Last edited by DavidGee24 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.