Starting Pitching

AZOldDawg

Starting Pitching

Post by AZOldDawg » Thu May 09, 2019 4:28 am

Well a month in it appears when have a solid pair in Marco and "K" who have the ability to win every time they go out there. We also have a rookie in Swanny who is probably going to be hot and cold. Then we have our two veterans who can eat innings but probably need a minimum of five runs to have a shot at winning. It will be interesting to see what happens when Wade returns. The Bullpen . . . not even going to go there. The crap shoot of all time.

D-train

Re: Starting Pitching

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 am

I think our pen would be decent with:

Elias
Rosscup
Sadzek
Warren
Markel
Brennen
Gearrin
Bradford

Then you have Strickland and Tui coming back in about a month to replace the two weakest links.
dt

TommyGun1971

Post by TommyGun1971 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:50 am

D-train wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 am

Elias
Rosscup
Sadzek
Warren
Markel
Brennen
Gearrin
Bradford

Then you have Strickland and Tui coming back in about a month to replace the two weakest links.
Sadly I think they’re all equally the weakest link... :lol:

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Thu May 09, 2019 7:45 am

TommyGun1971 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:50 am
D-train wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 am

Elias
Rosscup
Sadzek
Warren
Markel
Brennen
Gearrin
Bradford

Sadly I think they’re all equally the weakest link... :lol:
Before Tuis freak injury he was doing damn well for us and is a very serviceable reliever for the Ms

Big Monty

Post by Big Monty » Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 pm

I say the M’s be aggressive and jump the trade market. Go get a starter or two that can make an impact for the next couple years, and slot in next to Marco and Yusei.

Marcus Stroman is 28, under control for 2020 and would be an exciting 2-3. Perhaps we could trade from a position of depth and land him for Kyle Lewis? Buy out his arbitration year and extend him for 3 years of his prime.

Matt Boyd is under control for the next 3 years of his prime and fits perfectly in our win window. He’d also be a great 2-3 on the staff, but would likely take a higher upside prospect like Julio Rodriguez- also a position of depth in the system.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Welcome Big Monty!!!
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Big Monty wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 pm
I say the M’s be aggressive and jump the trade market. Go get a starter or two that can make an impact for the next couple years, and slot in next to Marco and Yusei.

Marcus Stroman is 28, under control for 2020 and would be an exciting 2-3. Perhaps we could trade from a position of depth and land him for Kyle Lewis? Buy out his arbitration year and extend him for 3 years of his prime.

Matt Boyd is under control for the next 3 years of his prime and fits perfectly in our win window. He’d also be a great 2-3 on the staff, but would likely take a higher upside prospect like Julio Rodriguez- also a position of depth in the system.
Not gonna happen. The M's aren't going to do anything splashy until Kelenic, Lewis, Sheffield, Dunn, Gilbert, Carlson and JRod are mainstays on this team. They plan to do it like the Astros I'm sure... pay these guys nothing for the first 3-4 years of success and have the money to put stars around them.

The Astros have paid Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Springer, McCullers and McHugh basically nothing through their WS run and it allowed them to get Verlander, Cole, Reddick, McCann, Morton, Brantley.

They're going to start having to pay Correa, Altuve, Bregman and Springer an ass ton of money the next few years as their arb years are coming to an end. It's why they've had to get rid of Morton, Dallas and Marwin... plus I'm sure more guys are soon to be gone because they will not be able to afford them.

The Astros played the "tank to win" strategy perfect. The M's are following suit.
Last edited by IStillLoveTheMs on Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:49 pm

The problem with trying to get guys like Stroman and Boyd is that their teams might not be willing to trade them (especially the Tigers with Boyd), who they would want if they were willing to trade them, and of course can you beat what other teams are offering. It's not that simple to just say, "Let's trade for Matt Boyd", like the Tigers will just give him to us for Mallex Smith and some toasted grasshoppers.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 pm

I think we're not using our best potential rotation either:

1. Marco
2. Kikuchi
3. Elias
4. Sheffield
5. Swanson

Is a better rotation in my opinion... I think Swanson figured out that he can't throw fastballs 90% of the time and should be better going forward. Cutting Leake and Felix out could only help at this point.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Sheffield has been struggling badly with his control in Tacoma and that won't fly at the next level. I think LeBlanc (if he's healthy) is better in that spot.