Early look at MLB and Japanese FAs

D-train

Re: Early look at MLB and Japanese FAs

Post by D-train » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:04 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:42 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:46 pm

Yeah I shouldn't have said hard pass and I wouldn't be pissed if we signed him but Bellinger is better.
On that, we are in agreement! Either would be good.

Ohtani would be the shit's bananas.
I would take Jung and Alonso or Bellinger over Ohtani...
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 pm

I think they'll make some sort of offer on Ohtani and it's impossible to know how serious they are about that. But if they miss on Ohtani, I don't think there's any real chance there's a plan B wrt significant free agent acquisitions. Maybe they'll bring in a third or fourth tier guy to fill a hole or something.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:56 pm

I've said this before. We can give up one of the young arms but not Gilbert. We can replace him by signing Snell who is highly motivated to return to his home town and might even give us a home town discount. This comes from his mother and grandfather. Snell has been up and down but more up than down

My plan: Trade for Alonzo or Arenado. Sign Otani or Bellinger. Sign Snell. Trade or sign an impact reliever. This is doable if management gets aggressive. I'm a little doubtful about Otani because his injury lets most of the teams back into the equation and there are some crazy MF's out there willing to spend any amount of money.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:12 am

If they can't get Alonso or Ohtani I hope they avoid the market completely.

Everyone else is too big of a question mark imo.

This crew has been killing it since the break.

They need to get Dylan Moore more playing time. He has the same WAR in his 138 plate appearances as Ty France has in 600.

Jose Caballero has as much WAR in 250 plate appearances as Teoscar Hernandez does in 612.

Dipoto just needs to get out of his own way at this point. Stop making moves to make moves and let these guys play.

Teo:
612 PA, 25 HR, 65 R, 85 RBI, 6 SB, 2.0 WAR

France:
600 PA, 10 HR, 73 R, 56 RBI, 1 SB, 0.5 WAR

Caballero/Ford/Moore:
635 PA, 26 HR, 79 R, 76 RBI, 32 SB, 3.2 WAR

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:32 am

AZOldDawg wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:56 pm
I've said this before. We can give up one of the young arms but not Gilbert. We can replace him by signing Snell who is highly motivated to return to his home town and might even give us a home town discount. This comes from his mother and grandfather. Snell has been up and down but more up than down

My plan: Trade for Alonzo or Arenado. Sign Otani or Bellinger. Sign Snell. Trade or sign an impact reliever. This is doable if management gets aggressive. I'm a little doubtful about Otani because his injury lets most of the teams back into the equation and there are some crazy MF's out there willing to spend any amount of money.
Are Cards wanting to trade Arenado. Haven't heard any mention of it. You got to target every option. Definitely Bellinger & Alonso at the top of his list. If their not willing to move Alonso, all in on Bellinger. Love the versatility. Can't see why that dude would wanna stay in Chicago. We've got a more talented roster then them. Their not even gonna win their own division. They don't have the pitching staff we do. If Jerry's not in on that guy I don't know what to think. But definitely see what the market is like for both him & Arenado.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:05 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:32 am
AZOldDawg wrote:

Are Cards wanting to trade Arenado. Haven't heard any mention of it. You got to target every option. Definitely Bellinger & Alonso at the top of his list. If their not willing to move Alonso, all in on Bellinger. Love the versatility. Can't see why that dude would wanna stay in Chicago. We've got a more talented roster then them. Their not even gonna win their own division. They don't have the pitching staff we do. If Jerry's not in on that guy I don't know what to think. But definitely see what the market is like for both him & Arenado.
I don't see Bellinger being interested in Seattle in the slightest.

"Can't see why that dude would wanna stay in Chicago."

“I love it here," Bellinger says. "It is great here. Wrigley Field is such an amazing place." - Cody Bellinger.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:34 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 pm
I think they'll make some sort of offer on Ohtani and it's impossible to know how serious they are about that. But if they miss on Ohtani, I don't think there's any real chance there's a plan B wrt significant free agent acquisitions. Maybe they'll bring in a third or fourth tier guy to fill a hole or something.
This weekend is pretty much sold out as will most of the games the rest of the season. That's almost $10M in revenue per 3 game series. If they don't invest that in at least one top tier FA they can go F themselves...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:36 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:12 am
If they can't get Alonso or Ohtani I hope they avoid the market completely.

Everyone else is too big of a question mark imo.

This crew has been killing it since the break.

They need to get Dylan Moore more playing time. He has the same WAR in his 138 plate appearances as Ty France has in 600.

Jose Caballero has as much WAR in 250 plate appearances as Teoscar Hernandez does in 612.

Dipoto just needs to get out of his own way at this point. Stop making moves to make moves and let these guys play.

Teo:
612 PA, 25 HR, 65 R, 85 RBI, 6 SB, 2.0 WAR

France:
600 PA, 10 HR, 73 R, 56 RBI, 1 SB, 0.5 WAR

Caballero/Ford/Moore:
635 PA, 26 HR, 79 R, 76 RBI, 32 SB, 3.2 WAR
Are you concern Bellinger puts on an M's uni and goes in the tank again?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:39 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:05 am
HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:32 am
AZOldDawg wrote:

I don't see Bellinger being interested in Seattle in the slightest.

"Can't see why that dude would wanna stay in Chicago."

“I love it here," Bellinger says. "It is great here. Wrigley Field is such an amazing place." - Cody Bellinger.
Might have to over pay a bit for Bellinger but I have been to Wrigley and I wouldn't leave a dime on the table to play in that dump. Of course he is going to say that about his current fans and ballpark.

Given his inconsistency even and overpay would be affordable imo.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:41 pm

This is the range they are comfortable with. See Ray and Castillo deals...
"His agent is Scott Boras," Nightengale told the Jack Vita Show. "He's had a big year, so I would think that there will be a massive price tag on him, over $100 million. So I think he's going to be sitting out until next February, signing right around spring training... I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for at least $150 million."
https://www.si.com/mlb/cubs/news/mlb-in ... ract-jack9
dt