2024 Prospects thread

D-train

Re: 2024 Prospects thread

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:48 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:55 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm
Gabe, I still don't get your concerns about Locklear's swing. A RH bat doing that in ARK seems promising. What am I missing?
It has to do with the path of the barrel through the hitting zone. Most major league hitters are trying to lengthen that path by moving backwards in the load phase.

Here's an Aaron Judge video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdlYBRs11s

Watch how the bat moves backward during the loading phase and then at about the 28 second mark is when he "launches". Watch how the head of the bat moves down into the hitting zone and how far back that is at the 29 second mark. With some subtle variations, that's what all (or most) of these guys are trying to do because it gives them more time to adjust the path of the bat to the path of the ball.

And here's Locklear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViYF1KFmiNM&t=122s

The easiest way to see what Locklear is doing is to slow the playback down to 25%. But basically, there's almost no backward movement of the bat during load. And so when the head of the bat moves down into the hitting zone, it's moving very directly to the ball and it seems like he isn't getting that same length of bat path through the hitting zone that the major leaguers are getting. And to be fair, what he's doing is working in the minors at A and AA. But I think AAA might be an issue for him because there's a ton more offspeed and probably 2/3 of the pitchers at that level have major league service time.

Anyway, I hope that explains what I think I'm seeing.
Fascinating! That makes complete sense. Thanks!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:51 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 am
OK, so Montes has 4 strikeouts in 41 plate appearances. Insane what kind of turnaround he’s had from his DSL days with the 40 % K rate.
Yes a sub 10% K rate is insane for a guy with his size and power. Can't wait to see where he is ranked in the next prospect rankings.

btw Babe Ruth had a 12.5% K rate in an era in which guys rarely Kd.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am
GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm
Gabe, I still don't get your concerns about Locklear's swing. A RH bat doing that in ARK seems promising. What am I missing?
It has to do with the path of the barrel through the hitting zone. Most major league hitters are trying to lengthen that path by moving backwards in the load phase.

Watch how the bat moves backward during the loading phase and then at about the 28 second mark is when he "launches". Watch how the head of the bat moves down into the hitting zone and how far back that is at the 29 second mark. With some subtle variations, that's what all (or most) of these guys are trying to do because it gives them more time to adjust the path of the bat to the path of the ball.

The easiest way to see what Locklear is doing is to slow the playback down to 25%. But basically, there's almost no backward movement of the bat during load. And so when the head of the bat moves down into the hitting zone, it's moving very directly to the ball and it seems like he isn't getting that same length of bat path through the hitting zone that the major leaguers are getting. And to be fair, what he's doing is working in the minors at A and AA. But I think AAA might be an issue for him because there's a ton more offspeed and probably 2/3 of the pitchers at that level have major league service time.

His swing seems very similar to Jeff Bagwell to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ykOrStzeE

Go to :48 in the video.
Yes, very similar.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am
GL_Storm wrote:

His swing seems very similar to Jeff Bagwell to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ykOrStzeE

Go to :48 in the video.
Yes, very similar.
Here's a fun stat...

Jeff Bagwell hit just 8 home runs in 274 minor league games.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:52 am

Harry struggling even more than I expected in AA. .119/.478

Laz has cooled a bit but still refusing to K. 4 Ks in 48 PAs for a 8.3% K rate. Just unreal for a power hitter or anyone for that matter.

Rod Carew who is known to have about the best bat control of any player in history had a 9.7% K Rate.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:29 pm

Pretty Heady play by Locklear
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:08 am

A few tidbits from Modesto

Suisbel started on fire, but has cooled off. Still pretty good numbers. Not super high on him as a prospect, but could be a dark horse

Arroyo doing well. Hit a HR tonight.273/.832. I like him as a possible 2B or UT in a few years

Aiden Smith doing well .275/.893 probably the least talked about of all the HS hitters drafted last year, but outperforming most of them

Izzi with a great start.5 scoreless, 6 K, ERA at 2.25.

Emerson must be hurt almost 2 weeks since he played.

Farmelo, Peete and Montes all doing OK, but nothing remarkable early in the season numbers wise.

Gough also with a good start 2.57 ERA

Anyone know what’s up with Walter ford?

Brayan Perez is in the bullpen, looks good so far. Michael Limoncelli has pitched 2 innings. He was drafted forever ago, had Tj right before the draft iirc
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 am

Everett is the least interesting team I remember in a long time. Not anyone I see that is likely to be on the MLB or has a super high ceiling. Most interesting prospect to me is Michael Morales. Good start to the season with 17 innings, 15 Ks and 2.6 ERA. Let’s see if it continues.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:22 am

In Arkansas, ford has picked things up. 2-5 with a HR today.

Logan Evans with 5 scoreless and 8 Ks today.

Locklear continues to be steady. I think he’s our 1B next year, and maybe at some point this year, at least backup if Raley doesn’t figure it out.

Young is doing OK, but I expect it to be a bit up and down this year, I thought it was pretty aggressive to start him in Ark so quickly. Probably good for him to be challenged though

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:22 am
In Arkansas, ford has picked things up. 2-5 with a HR today.

Logan Evans with 5 scoreless and 8 Ks today.

Locklear continues to be steady. I think he’s our 1B next year, and maybe at some point this year, at least backup if Raley doesn’t figure it out.

Young is doing OK, but I expect it to be a bit up and down this year, I thought it was pretty aggressive to start him in Ark so quickly. Probably good for him to be challenged though
Wouldn't hate him being up here now.

Unless France's power takes off I don't see a spot on this roster for him. He's unplayable in all reality.

Locklear's K to BB ratio should translate to immediate success.