Another snell Rumor

AZOldDawg

Another snell Rumor

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:52 pm

Blake's grandfather, Vern Raan, who lives in my complex just told one of my golfing buddies that he has told the M's he will do a one year deal in order to play for his home town team. If true don't look a gift horse in the mouth Jerry.

Big_Maple

Re: Another snell Rumor

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:59 pm

That’s cool. Who do we bench slash move to the bullpen? There’s room with Brash seemingly out for the season.

On a one year deal there’s no way the M’s would trade a pitcher for a position player as was the rumor early in the off season when Snell/Mariner rumors were swirling.

Snell apparently has offers on the table from the Yankees. I wonder how all of that figures into this calculus.

Also, I wonder if what Snell wants and what Boras wants will align. Boras doesn't seem likely to encourage a guy like Snell who just won a Cy Young to settle for a one year deal...

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:07 pm

Boras works for Snell, if he wants to play for the mariners for a year it be up to Boras to try and make it happen. The question is what would it cost. I'd think $30 mil at the very least. The Yankee offer is supposed to be $150 mil over five years.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:08 pm

Do it!
Giving him 30 Million basically puts the payroll right where it was in 2017.
Push Miller or Woo to the pen. Best rotation in baseball by a mile.
Can you imagine having to face Kirby, Castillo and Snell in a 3 game series?

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:30 pm

The Mariners aren't going to pay the one-year salary he would want.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:00 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:30 pm
I agree. Likely not.

But apparently he turned down a 5 or 6 year deal with the Yanks. He wants a Bellinger-esque deal. Maybe 3 years with incentives and opt outs. The M's can, and likely should do that.

So yeah - they likely aren't in for a 1 year deal, and definitely not a 6 year deal. But I think they could pull off a Goldilocks deal that made everyone happy.

Will they? Nope.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:08 pm

Jerry is walking around with blinders on and earbuds. It just doesn't fit "the plan." No flexibility at all.

This is something he should be pushing with the owners. You want to put butts in the seats? Bring in Snell for three years with a plethora of incentives and you easily have the best rotation in MLB in a pitcher's park! Snell could push the team into a competition for the AL West lead.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:00 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:00 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
I agree. Likely not.

But apparently he turned down a 5 or 6 year deal with the Yanks. He wants a Bellinger-esque deal. Maybe 3 years with incentives and opt outs. The M's can, and likely should do that.

So yeah - they likely aren't in for a 1 year deal, and definitely not a 6 year deal. But I think they could pull off a Goldilocks deal that made everyone happy.

Will they? Nope.
I don't know that it's something they should do. Even on a relative bargain contract, it would still be a lot of money for a marginal rotation upgrade and a player that mostly only goes 5 1/3 innings per start.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:46 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:00 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:00 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
I agree. Likely not.

Will they? Nope.
I don't know that it's something they should do. Even on a relative bargain contract, it would still be a lot of money for a marginal rotation upgrade and a player that mostly only goes 5 1/3 innings per start.
Agreed.
I don't know why but Snell doesn't pass the Smell test for me.
We have good starting pitching.
What we need is a third baseman imho.
With Uranus hurting I am not looking forward to watching Rojas / freakin Dilly / Ham Swaggerty combo all year.
Matt Chapman is not the ideal bat but his fills the gap until the Mariners figure out 3rd base again.
A three year deal is worth the piece of mind. He does have some power left but streaky as hell.
The less Haggs and Moore are in this lineup the better the line will move.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:49 pm

As cool as it would be, spending a bunch of money for a starting pitcher, even on a 1 year deal, when it’s the last thing they need would make no sense
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez