The 2024 season

Juliooooo

Re: The 2024 season

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:21 pm
I don't see anything there that is obviously the batter trying to get hit. If the perfect game wasn't an issue it just goes down as HBP
You have to try to avoid it. He clearly didn’t

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/standard-s ... t-by-pitch
Per the rules, a batter must make an attempt to avoid being hit by a pitch in order to receive first base.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:28 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:26 pm

Guessing the increase in white players is due to the Eastern Europeans. 6% is a small number when you compare it to 14% of the population being black but if you exclude non US players it is about 10% of Americans so not crazy and who cares.
But white players isn't increasing, it seems to hold firm around 18% black players is declining, it was 84% not so long ago. Yeah, European players are primarily white aren't they?... The deal with baseball is the percentage of black players is declining. It was as high as 18% in the 70s. I think that's what people find concerning about the 6% now. Why has baseball become less appealing to black athletes? In terms of who cares, I think MLB cares. I don't believe they feel it's healthy to lose that segment of the population participating in their sport.
They hired Griffey over 3 years ago as a token that they care but here we are at 6%.

The only reason to care is DEI reasons. Every player in the league is a human being and that is all that matters. If there were more black players there would be less White and Hispanic or Asian players. How is it a good thing to have less of those races. Are they inferior???

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/01/29/ken-g ... re%20stars.
I think tzhey see it as good for business. It's about competing for the best athletes, that builds stars, stars sell tickets. I think MLB is beginning to get nervous about being shutout of a pretty rich vein of talent by the other sports leagues. And there's the black sports fan as well. It's a significant part of the sports consumer and it's spending. Baseball is on the way to conceding it to the other sports leagues.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm

He CLEARLY lowered his elbow to intentionally get hit down 6-0, with 2 outs in the 9th, it is a 1 in a million shot they win that game. Lame as F.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:52 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I don't see anything there that is obviously the batter trying to get hit. If the perfect game wasn't an issue it just goes down as HBP

Per the rules, a batter must make an attempt to avoid being hit by a pitch in order to receive first base.
What I'm saying is that type of HBP happens all the time. Again, I don't think it's an issue in an average game. That's how it's going to get called

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:03 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:

What I'm saying is that type of HBP happens all the time. Again, I don't think it's an issue in an average game. That's how it's going to get called
Yeah my beef is way more than the player than the ump but it definitely could have been called the other way...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:08 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:49 pm

But white players isn't increasing, it seems to hold firm around 18% black players is declining, it was 84% not so long ago. Yeah, European players are primarily white aren't they?... The deal with baseball is the percentage of black players is declining. It was as high as 18% in the 70s. I think that's what people find concerning about the 6% now. Why has baseball become less appealing to black athletes? In terms of who cares, I think MLB cares. I don't believe they feel it's healthy to lose that segment of the population participating in their sport.
They hired Griffey over 3 years ago as a token that they care but here we are at 6%.

The only reason to care is DEI reasons. Every player in the league is a human being and that is all that matters. If there were more black players there would be less White and Hispanic or Asian players. How is it a good thing to have less of those races. Are they inferior???

I think tzhey see it as good for business. It's about competing for the best athletes, that builds stars, stars sell tickets. I think MLB is beginning to get nervous about being shutout of a pretty rich vein of talent by the other sports leagues. And there's the black sports fan as well. It's a significant part of the sports consumer and it's spending. Baseball is on the way to conceding it to the other sports leagues.
Imagine the NBA announcing a new push for more white players because they are concerned about white fans, the vast majority of their fan base. That might actually make good business sense but Holy shit the Melt down would be off the charts....But reverse racism is all good because two wrongs make a right.
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:

If they enforced that, Ty France would've only got on base like 4 times last season.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:12 pm

Ok this is brilliant and hilarious.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:08 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm
D-train wrote:

Imagine the NBA announcing a new push for more white players because they are concerned about white fans, the vast majority of their fan base. That might actually make good business sense but Holy shit the Melt down would be off the charts....But reverse racism is all good because two wrongs make a right.
They are adding white players, they are scouting them in Europe. It's really no different than improving their ability to attract black athletes in America

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 pm

Remember this, when I read, leaning into the pitch this is what I expected, something pretty blatant like Reggie sticking his ass out.

https://youtu.be/tvWKWvrVfrI?si=VnmQcjL37ugzteIi