Last few days of TT's M's career

D-train

Last few days of TT's M's career

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:02 pm

I had hope at times for this kid but was never really given a shot because we had to keep running the golden Rooster out there game after game...
By Ryan Divish
Seattle Times staff reporter
PEORIA, Ariz. — Taylor Trammell sat at his locker, still in his uniform and sweating from the Friday afternoon heat.

He’d smashed his first homer of the spring in his first at-bat — a two-run blast to right-center off Brewers starter Freddy Peralta — and then struck out in his final two at-bats.

With spring training in its final days, Trammell knows that his time with the Mariners is likely coming to an end.

“I’m at peace with where I’m at,” he said a few days ago. “They’ve been very clear with me. And I understand that it’s a business.”

A one-time touted prospect and the Mariners opening-day center fielder in 2021, Trammell isn’t expected to make the team’s opening-day roster. Since he’s out of minor-league options, Seattle will have to remove him from the 40-man roster and designate him for assignment. The Mariners could try to trade him before then, but teams know his roster situation and that he’ll be available on a waiver claim. A team that claims Trammell must put him on their active 26-man roster.

There is zero expectation from the Mariners front office that Trammell somehow goes unclaimed by an MLB team.

“No chance,” said Jerry Dipoto, Mariners president of baseball operations.

Indeed, two of Trammell’s former teams — the Red and Padres — have outfield needs and could take a chance on him.

“I think I have value to a team,” he said. “I’m just focusing on what I can control.”

In 14 games this spring, Trammell has posted a .286/.412/.464 slash line with eight hits in 28 at-bats, including a pair of doubles, a homer and three RBI. He’s drawn six walks and struck out 11 times.

It’s not that the Mariners don’t value Trammell, but he’s slid down their organizational depth chart with the midseason acquisition of Dominic Canzone in 2023 and the additions of Luke Raley and Mitch Haniger this offseason. With the Mariners carrying a full-time designated hitter in Mitch Garver, there is a limited number of roster spots. And players like Sam Haggerty and Samad Taylor, who can play infield, offer more positional versatility than he does.

Manager Scott Servais outlined the situation to Trammell early in camp.

“I had a great conversation with Taylor Trammell the other day,” Servais said early in camp. “He’s in an interesting spot in this camp, right? He’s a guy I have to talk to. It’s ‘here’s the plan and how you handle it, is kind of up to you.’ I usually give them the experiences I’ve had in the game. I’ve come along quite a few players that have been in the exact same spot as he’s in right now. It’s ‘Here’s how some have handled it. Here’s how others have handled it. Here’s the success stories of guys that went on to hit almost 400 home runs, here’s some other ones that didn’t.’ You share those stories with guys and see how they react.”

A year ago, Trammell was recovering from surgery to repair a broken hamate bone in his right hand. After spending the previous offseason retooling his swing at Driveline Baseball, he suffered the injury a day before spring training workouts began officially.

He missed all of spring and his start to the season was delayed.

“When it’s been lined up for him to get opportunity, injury has crept in and really slowed it down,” Servais said. “When he’s had injuries, other guys have taken that opportunity and done a little bit better. Timing is everything. And along the way you need a little luck.”

After eight games with Triple-A Tacoma, he was called up on April 30 to provide depth with Julio Rodriguez dealing with a sore back and Ty France under the weather.

Trammell hit a grand slam off Blue Jays starter Chris Bassitt in his first MLB at-bat of the season. But the success was fleeting. Over the next month, he posted a .133/.278/.333 slash line in 54 plate appearance. He struck out 21 times.

“I’m not sure we’ve seen the best of him,” Servais said. “We know he has power and he can hit anybody’s fastball. The things that we’ve talked about with him is being able to recognize the off-speed pitches, being maybe a better hitter and less focused on hitting the ball over the fence. Not that he’s up there trying to swing for the fence, but more adjustability in the batter’s box, controlling the barrel a little bit better.”

Trammell has tried to focus on improving his contact rates. The Mariners have been impressed with his progress in that regard, but they likely won’t see any results of the improvement.

“This guy super talented,” Servais said. “We know that he’s got big-time strength and power.”
dt

Juliooooo

Re: Last few days of TT's M's career

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:48 pm

Is there room for Raley, canzone and TT? I don’t see them dumping Raley, and canzone has done well enough to start with the team. With actually having a DH, that makes it tough to keep all 3. Sticks for TT. I think he’s the odd man out
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:52 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:48 pm
Is there room for Raley, canzone and TT? I don’t see them dumping Raley, and canzone has done well enough to start with the team. With actually having a DH, that makes it tough to keep all 3. Sticks for TT. I think he’s the odd man out
Did you miss this??
With spring training in its final days, Trammell knows that his time with the Mariners is likely coming to an end.

“I’m at peace with where I’m at,” he said a few days ago. “They’ve been very clear with me. And I understand that it’s a business.”
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm

There is zero expectation from the Mariners front office that Trammell somehow goes unclaimed by an MLB team.

“No chance,” said Jerry Dipoto, Mariners president of baseball operations.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:52 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:48 pm
Did you miss this??

Just skimmed the article really. But it does come down to the fact they traded for Raley. He does have a better track record, but Raley has done nothing to earn that spot recently, and I’m not expecting much from him and his 30 + percent K rate
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:13 pm

Yep the roster is set in stone on the positional side. Only doubts is the last BP spot after:

Munoz
Stanek
Sauce
Speier
Voth
Thorton
Bolton

Should be Miller but Divish says it will be Snider even though he has sucked ass his whole life because he is on the 40 man...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:39 pm

Can't make it up. When I got home yesterday day I saw hour dog sitter had a big pile of Mail that she had brought in. One piece was my new debit card and another was my new PIN #

There is a one in 9999 chance of this happening but the apparently the PIN generator system knows I am an M's fan. It was.........wait for it...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:39 pm
Can't make it up. When I got home yesterday day I saw hour dog sitter had a big pile of Mail that she had brought in. One piece was my new debit card and another was my new PIN #

There is a one in 9999 chance of this happening but the apparently the PIN generator system knows I am an M's fan. It was.........wait for it...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's the % of that happening? :lol:

Might be a good time to buy a $1.1 Billion ticket
Maga Millions.jpg
Maga Millions.jpg (5.07 KiB) Viewed 211 times
The rest of us shmucks have maybe a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance of winning. You got 54% chance!
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

Trammell officially DFA'd today' Should know soon if anybody picks him up.

On the other hand, Pirates just DFA's his replacement, Canaan Smith-Njigba, again.
Hope the M's grab him, just to have the brothers united here for a while. Good story...
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!