Former Mariners tracker

Vogelbomb

Re: Former Mariners tracker

Post by Vogelbomb » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:10 pm

And of course Atlanta scribes are going to paint like "The Mariners didn't do x and y" when in fact it was more Jarred was 22, Jarred was 23 and didn't understand, hadn't failed and wasn't ready to try a more radical approach

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:08 pm
I seriously doubt the Mariners hitting coaches didn't suggest to Jarred, hey lets try quieting the hands and eliminating the leg kick. I think it takes failure and maturation as a player to realize, "Hey, I'm not performing how I want to, let me trust these coaches."
I think after 2 full seasons of failure with small windows of success showed Jarred he needed to be more open to other ideas. He's only 24 coming into age 25 season. Canzone is 2 yrs older and has less experience. And he can't play defense. Not sure why Dipoto ever took Canzone on. It spelled Jarred's departure right there and that was the stupidest idea of all.
Jarred is a damn good dude who's fiery competitive nature can make him look like an asshole but is just misunderstood. Trading him is going to be right up there with trading Adam Jones and Fredy Peralta as all-time terrible deals
JK the Trump of MLB. lol

Maybe the pitchers we got back will be good in a few years after their TJs.....What a return....
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:22 pm

He was altering his swing and stance, there's no evidence he didn't listen to coaching.

From 2023
Looking at his pre-pitch stance, there are at least two major changes that caught my eye:

His hands and elbow are closer to his head.
He is less crouched and standing more straight up.
His feet might be closer together in a tighter/less open stance. (This one might not be true, it was hard to tell with limited camera angles).

Then looking at his load position, there are two changes:

He has a more vertical bat
He has a slightly less dramatic leg kick

Based on watching a few videos of his new swing, it seems like the biggest improvement is that it is significantly more fluid than his old swing. Starting in a more upright stance allows him to reach that leg kick in a smoother manner to load and shift weight toward the back side of his body. The more vertical bat during load allows him to get on plane more quickly.

Overall, there are fewer movements throughout the swing. This makes it simpler and more repeatable than his swings in years past.

Knowing Kelenic made concrete changes and that he’s always had the necessary power to be an impact bat, I’m hopeful that he can continue contributing in a big way this season

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm

Terms of the trade, it was pure salary dump. Nothing in it for fans. Those that think the team was improved simply by removing him let's see how the Braves perform, if he's an albatross

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:42 pm

Jarred had a .982 OPS in April last year.

I'll believe it when I see it that he doesn't collapse.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:52 pm

I'll wager he outperforms who the mariners roll out in Left field this season, and they got nothing for him

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:36 pm
Terms of the trade, it was pure salary dump. Nothing in it for fans. Those that think the team was improved simply by removing him let's see how the Braves perform, if he's an albatross
And, ironically, the same people who said Evan White's contract wasn't an issue a couple years ago are now lamenting that the M's had to include Kelenic in the trade to get rid of White's (and Marco's) contract.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:09 pm

Me? I said it shouldn't be an issue, but I didn't realize how cash strapped the mariners are

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:23 pm

What were they paying him, $24 mil over six years, that seems pretty crippling. What they do with the cost savings, invest it in a left fielder?

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:08 pm

The Ms fans are getting out the pitchforks!