Mitch Garver the most senseless signing ever

DavidGee24

Mitch Garver the most senseless signing ever

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:22 am

The guy was 0-32 career at T-Mobile coming into this season. Now, when a guy is BY FAR the worst hitter in the history of your ballpark, would you want to pay him millions of dollars to play 81 games for you there? 29 MLB franchises would answer that question with an emphatic NO. But not the Mariners.

This season Garver is 3-25 at T-Mobile, and now 3-57 in his career there. THREE FOR FIFTY-SEVEN. And we all saw it coming.

This franchise is so stupid when it comes to hitters.

D-train

Re: Mitch Garver the most senseless signing ever

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 pm

The biggest FA position player contract in Jerry's tenure. Sums it up perfectly. Was also ridiculously injury prone and promptly missed 3 games the first week of the season.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 pm

Meanwhile, Kelenic is batting .400, and is good for 0.4 WAR so far in the first 3 weeks of the season. He went 2 for 4 with an RBI last night.

He did also strikeout twice, but that 0.4 erases one of Mitch Garver's or Luke Raley's -0.3 WAR.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 pm
Meanwhile, Kelenic is batting .400, and is good for 0.4 WAR so far in the first 3 weeks of the season. He went 2 for 4 with an RBI last night.

He did also strikeout twice, but that 0.4 erases one of Mitch Garver's or Luke Raley's -0.3 WAR.
Probably don't do the Raley trade if he is still here so it is a net of -0.7 WAR. I am still glad he is gone though.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm
I am still glad he is gone though.
As Rush would say, Mega Dittos.

Good riddance to bad company.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:59 pm

Been thinking about spring training, these guys spend six weeks preparing but come out flat as a pancake once the season commences. So what's the point, and it seems some players wonder that as well. Spring training seems more beneficial for pitchers than hitters. Players are suggesting shortening it.

Deal is, at least to some is weather. It's held in warm weather regions. When the weather turns cold the advantage is argued goes to the pitcher. So you have someone like Garver who hasn't had success at T-mobile. They condition with the pitchers in warm weather and then move north to begin the season in cold weather. I don't know, but it seemed interesting to me, particularly with the difficulties with new additions. How they struggle in the beginning. Teo figured it out and I'm expecting Garver to as well

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:59 pm
I don't know, but it seemed interesting to me, particularly with the difficulties with new additions. How they struggle in the beginning. Teo figured it out and I'm expecting Garver to as well
Interesting, Donn.

I read an article on Kelenic which essentially said he retooled his swing during Spring Break. I don't know what this meant or how much tooling he did. But the Braves, at least, are crediting these efforts for his torrid start to the season. He sucked in ST, but he's been on fire since the season started.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:14 pm

Yeah, I don't know about kelenic. It's not the first time he has retooled. He did it as a mariner. My take on kelenic is his swing needs constant retooling. He is sort of the opposite of Junior. There isn't anything natural about it

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:59 pm
Teo figured it out
What did he figure out? I thought the Ms let him go. Didn't he just follow the money?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:30 pm

The solution is obvious. The Mariners should move their spring training to the North Pole. Of course, they'll need to convince several of the other teams located in northern cities that don't struggle at hitting early in the season to join them.