Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

ThePro

Re: Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

Post by ThePro » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 pm

I understood what he meant. What I don't get is they have to be " all or nothing " or "win now" to be a contender? How about just good? I think they are a contender this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:21 am

auroraave wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:51 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm
auroraave wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 pm
You still have not explained how Seattle is desperate. There is no pressure on them to win it all this season - literally no one is expecting that. The team has a ton of draft picks and cap next year. They hold all the cards. Specifically, how are they desperate? I have not heard anyone, anywhere suggesting there is all this pressure on them this season - so please enlighten me on the desperation part. Simple question - you brought it up. Who, specifically, is claiming they are in desperation mode, and therefore have to go after Clowney? Are you going to answer, or just tap dance around the question? Clowney being a nice acquisition is not the question - the question is how is Seattle desperate?
Wow, way to get triggered. They have a good team and their weakness was rushing the passer at the end of last season. Since then, they traded Clark, Collier got injured, Reed got suspended and Ziggy still hasn't even hit the field yet. So yeah, I would say they are a bit desperate for a pass rusher. Call me crazy. No pressure to win after making the playoffs last season and having a good draft and PC saying they go for it every year? If you say so. :|

So, me asking you to back up your claim about desperation mode = "being triggered'"? Thanks for clarifying that for me. I wasn't sure. Besides you - who is claiming Seattle is in desperation mode? They are not even the favorite to win their division - so - how exactly are they in desperation mode? You still have not answered the question. Your attempt at deflection by suggesting my query is somehow 'triggered' is cute and predictable - but in no way answers the question. Seattle would have to be in a position to win it all - no one anywhere is suggesting they are. So, I am curious where you get this notion. But that's cool - you don't have to answer. I'm sure your too busy with your other 54,000 posts to answer the question. I get it. "Triggered". That's too funny.
Says the guy who predicted 6-8 wins last season. :P
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I predicted 6 to 8 last year also. I under estimated Russell's will and the ability of Pete and John to motivate hungry players...and send the ones that are no longer hungry to Philly and San Fran! LOL

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm
I predicted 6 to 8 last year also. I under estimated Russell's will and the ability of Pete and John to motivate hungry players...and send the ones that are no longer hungry to Philly and San Fran! LOL
His ultimate motivation project could be #90 in a Texans uniform.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Clowney is still living off his college rep. He has just been OK as a pro. Over the last 4 years he is averaging 7.25 Sacks per year while playing on a team where the teams are scheming to not let the guy on the other end of the line beat them. He would be an upgrade for sure but I don't think he is the piece that pushes them into Superbowl contenders. I'd rather uses that 15 Million to shore up depth elsewhere and hang on to my second round pick.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Clowney is still living off his college rep. He has just been OK as a pro. Over the last 4 years he is averaging 7.25 Sacks per year while playing on a team where the teams are scheming to not let the guy on the other end of the line beat th0 piece that pushes them into Superbowl contenders. I'd rather uses that 15 Million to shore up depth elsewhere and hang on to my second round pick.
What position needs to he shored up more than EDGE for the Hawks? However your assessment is pretty accurate. Clowney is not as dominant as even Clark was. Clowney has only played 2 seasons with Watt. He even made the All Pro team in '16 when Watt was gone most of the year.

Clowney has never shed tbe expectations of being #1 overall. He was supposed to be Bruce Smith. Not even close.

Why I would welcome a trade is one the sum of the parts not just adding Clowney. By week 7 the defensive front could include Ansah , Reed , Ford , Collier/Green and Clowney. Two Ends at 6'5" 275 with freakish athleticism. That is just wicked nasty.

Two Clowney fits the scheme perfectly. He could be the Leo a position he was born to play or SLB and go to end on passing downs. Possibilities are endless. I think that acquisition would put them over the top. Wouldn't go higher than a 2nd though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:44 pm

ThePro wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Clowney is still living off his college rep. He has just been OK as a pro. Over the last 4 years he is averaging 7.25 Sacks per year while playing on a team where the teams are scheming to not let the guy on the other end of the line beat th0 piece that pushes them into Superbowl contenders. I'd rather uses that 15 Million to shore up depth elsewhere and hang on to my second round pick.
What position needs to he shored up more than EDGE for the Hawks? However your assessment is pretty accurate. Clowney is not as dominant as even Clark was. Clowney has only played 2 seasons with Watt. He even made the All Pro team in '16 when Watt was gone most of the year.

Clowney has never shed tbe expectations of being #1 overall. He was supposed to be Bruce Smith. Not even close.

Why I would welcome a trade is one the sum of the parts not just adding Clowney. By week 7 the defensive front could include Ansah , Reed , Ford , Collier/Green and Clowney. Two Ends at 6'5" 275 with freakish athleticism. That is just wicked nasty.

Two Clowney fits the scheme perfectly. He could be the Leo a position he was born to play or SLB and go to end on passing downs. Possibilities are endless. I think that acquisition would put them over the top. Wouldn't go higher than a 2nd though.
If we only had one second round pick I would be reticent to give it up but we have two so I would be willing spare one.
Seahawks
Seahawks (less favorable of 49ers, Chiefs picks)

PICK MAY OR MAY NOT TRANSFER DEPENDING ON 49ERS, CHIEFS DRAFT POSITIONS

Traded • Frank Clark • 2019 third round pick (#84-Khalen Saunders) to Chiefs for • 2019 first round pick (#29-L.J. Collier) • 2019 third round pick (#92-Chuma Edoga) • 2020 second round pick (less favorable of 49ers, Chiefs picks) (?-?) on 2019-04-23
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:10 am

From John Clayton..
Reports are starting to surface that the Houston Texans contacted the Seahawks about possibly trading for Jadeveon Clowney. Clearly, he would only be a one-year rental — he’s wanting more than $20 million a year and the Seahawks wouldn’t do that with Frank Clark.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:08 pm

From resident genius Calkins:
By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
Jadeveon Clowney. It’s been a fun name to mention lately.

A former No. 1 overall draft pick. A three-time Pro Bowler. A defensive end once thought to be a generational talent.

There have been a lot of labels assigned to Clowney over the years, but there’s a new one that folks have been fantasizing about lately: future Seahawk.

Yes, Clowney’s name has been repeatedly brought up as a potential acquisition for Seattle this offseason. You’ll hear it on local radio. You’ll see it in national publications. And, of course, it’s ubiquitous on Twitter.

The Seahawks adding a player of his stature would send a jolt through every 12 paying attention. But I’m not sure it really makes sense for the team.

As it stands, Clowney is holding out for a long-term contract with the Texans, who don’t seem willing to give him what he wants. They’ve hit him with the franchise tag, meaning he can’t leave as a free agent, but even with $16 million or so coming his way, Jadeveon doesn’t seem willing to play in Houston.

So with the Seahawks ostensibly light on pass rush, wouldn’t this be the time to pony up a draft pick or two in exchange for a man who’s had a combined 18.5 sacks over the past two seasons? Um … not really.

ADVERTISING

The Seahawks already had an opportunity to lock up an elite defensive end in Frank Clark but traded him to the Chiefs in exchange for a first- and third-round pick. They used that first-round selection on defensive end L.J. Collier, whom they hope can approximate Clark’s production at a fraction of the price.

Clark’s deal in Kansas City, after all, was worth $105.5 million over five years, with $63.5 million guaranteed. So why would Seattle suddenly want to pay Clowney that franchise-tag figure and give up a high draft pick when he had 3.5 fewer sacks than Clark’s 13 last year?

One argument you can make is that the Seahawks won’t have defensive tackle Jarran Reed for the first six games of the year, something they didn’t know before they traded Clark. Reed had 10.5 sacks for Seattle last season, and nobody else on the team had more than three. So there seems to be more of a need for a guy who can get after the quarterback than there was a few weeks ago.

The thing is, it’s not as though Clowney would be playing Reed’s position. Reed is a tackle, Clowney is an end/outside linebacker. And the Seahawks already signed DE Ziggy Ansah to a one-year, $9 million deal this offseason, thinking he would play opposite of Collier. Are they going to pay for another end and potentially give up draft picks? Likely not.

Yes, the Seahawks do have the cap room to sign Clowney. But there is no guarantee they could lock him up long-term, meaning he could very well be a one-year rental.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider tried this with Sheldon Richardson two years ago when the team was very much in “win now” mode, but Seattle missed the playoffs and Richardson signed with the Vikings a few months later.

ADVERTISING

Perhaps the scenario would be different if the Seahawks were projected to win 12 games and just needed that final piece to become something close to a Super Bowl favorite. Or if Schneider and coach Pete Carroll were in the final year of their contracts, maybe they’d agree to pull the trigger and go all out for one more title.

But this is a pair that prides itself on developing from within. That was the philosophy behind their run to a title six years ago and an oh-so-close push for the Lombardi Trophy one season later.

The truth is, the Seahawks are unlikely to give up a first- or second-round pick for a guy who A) has had his work ethic questioned, B) has an injury history with his knees, and C) likely won’t be around too long with the team.

Maybe a few weeks into the season, if Clowney is still holding out, the Seahawks will pursue a trade. That’s what they did with left tackle Duane Brown two years ago when he was holding out with the Texans, and he ended up making the Pro Bowl

They probably wouldn’t have to give up as much in that scenario, and if their pass rush is truly deficient at that point, Clowney could be a necessary piece. For now, though, Clowney will likely be a player Seahawk fans imagine playing for their team, but will never actually see.
dt

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:56 pm

I'll say it again. They royally fucked up not paying Clark. If they'd of front loaded his deal it would've been much better for both sides. You pay for talent whether it be good or great.