Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

Donn Beach

Re: Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 am

NFL.com apology
“I’m going to start with an apology. Vance Joseph, I’m sorry. I underestimated you and your defense. In my defense, things were looking a little rough early. But boy, since the first Kansas City game, the effort’s been pretty terrific, even with the late TD drive allowed Monday. Lemme also shout out Russell Wilson, who hasn’t always had it easy (or made it easy for himself) in Denver. But Monday was strong, as the 34-year-old delivered some clutch throws at winning time -- including a few clever flip passes under duress -- to sting the Bills’ defense on the two late scoring drives. There were two three-and-outs and a fumble in the second half, so the offense remains an unfinished project. But even two botched extra points somehow didn’t prevent a second straight statement victory over a quality foe.”

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 am
NFL.com apology
“I’m going to start with an apology. Vance Joseph, I’m sorry. I underestimated you and your defense. In my defense, things were looking a little rough early. But boy, since the first Kansas City game, the effort’s been pretty terrific, even with the late TD drive allowed Monday. Lemme also shout out Russell Wilson, who hasn’t always had it easy (or made it easy for himself) in Denver. But Monday was strong, as the 34-year-old delivered some clutch throws at winning time -- including a few clever flip passes under duress -- to sting the Bills’ defense on the two late scoring drives. There were two three-and-outs and a fumble in the second half, so the offense remains an unfinished project. But even two botched extra points somehow didn’t prevent a second straight statement victory over a quality foe.”
Mahomes get gets the flu and Buffalo puts twelve guys on the field...or? Denver is 2 and 7 right now.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Bronco defense is playing better
By both FTN's DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) and Tru Media's EPA/play, they are the most improved defense in the league during this more recent stretch, and it's not particularly close.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how- ... -dolphins/

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:34 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:13 pm
12/19, 114 yards, 3 TDs

Which is probably all Payton wants him to do.
Funny, had he be willing to do that here? Take out the explosion in 2020. Russ's best years we leaned on the run game. Shit, take out the two Super Bowl years. Think back to the year we lost to the Cowboys in the playoffs? How many times did Chris Carson, Mike Davis or even Penny get us into the Red Zone and Russ throw a TD? We all remember the loss to the Cowboys, and how stubborn Pete was in sticking with a run game that didn't work. But a BIG part of the reason we were there was the run game. I know the Rams beat us twice, but think back to those games? Both one score games, and their D Line wanted NO PART of Fluker and those big O Lineman leaning on them. We covered up a lot of warts with that run game. But Russ couldn't stand it.

Carson, Davis and Penny combined for 15 rushing TDs that year. Russ threw for 35! He only attempted 427 passes that year. The three backs ran it 444 times for 2,084 yards...4.7 per carry ! Russ only threw 7 INTs and averaged 9 yards per attempt. That team was supposed to be rebuilding...and made the playoffs. Yes, I was pissed at Pete in the playoffs. But not because he tried to run the ball, that was fine...it's always fine. My issue with Pete is he NEVER adapts in time. We are always getting our asses kicked in the playoffs before he decides "well, that didn't work, let's try something else."

But that 2018 team was fun to watch. Run first, set up play action...defense was decent. They could have built off that. But? Russ had to cook. That 2018 team was 18th is all in total offense. But were first by over 100 yards in rushing. They were fifth in passing TDs. Talk about the run setting up the pass! We were dead last in turnovers with 11! Fuck, Geno will have double that this year. The next closest in turnovers was Green Bay with 15. We were tied for sixth in points scored with the Chargers and Steelers, a mere 5 points behind the Colts for fifth. I remember loving to watch that team play. I came into that season excited. Not because I thought we'd make the playoffs, but because I thought now that the malcontents were gone? We'd be more fun to watch. And we were, AND we made the playoffs.

How soon we forget how great we could have been had Russ just accepted his role. If this team had a serviceable QB? I think we'd have two fewer losses. We had twelve yards of offense in the second half week one against LA...9 of those yards on the last drive when the game was over! That game was highly winnable with any semblance of QB play. So was the Cincy game. Would suck to be 8 and 1 right?

Back to Russ. It just blows me away that anyone saw us finish 18th in yards put top six in points...and thought "this just won't do". I still wonder what would have happened if we had gone to the pass earlier against the Cowboys? Maybe Russ doesn't get all pissed off?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:34 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:21 pm
Bronco defense is playing better
By both FTN's DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) and Tru Media's EPA/play, they are the most improved defense in the league during this more recent stretch, and it's not particularly close.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how- ... -dolphins/
Better than giving up 70 points. Nice.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:02 pm

I wonder how much better the D has been if you take out the Dolphins game. Probably not much.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:35 pm

I guess it doesn't really matter. It wasn't like the Broncos all dropped acid before the game like the Seahawks did prior to the Ravens. :lol:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:13 pm

Funny, I took my comment down actually because I wanted to look at it more closely. The dolphins game does really impact it, but more on the run defense side. They break it down to both run and pass defense. The broncos pass defense has improved more than the run defense in their mind. But yeah, the broncos gave up 350 yards on the ground to the dolphins in that game. Heck the Hawks gave up 300 yards to the Ravens.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:42 pm

being absolutely horrendous for 7 weeks so you can be seen as 'most improved' by being not awful is an interesting strategy, I guess.

Russ seems to be playing better, though, right? I haven't watched a Broncos game for the same reason I don't watch WNBA or middle school flag football games, but I've heard good things.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:09 am

Russell does seem to be playing better. I get the feeling Payton is getting things pulled together after that horrendous start.