Tackling

Michael K.

Re: Tackling

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:53 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:51 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:30 pm
Probably had more to do with the players than the technique.
Yup - and it's not just the players - it's the league in general - defense hs been legislated out of the game in an effort to promote offense and ratings - while the NFLPA doesn't want players practicing at all in an effort to avoid injury. Then players are far less interested in the team concept vs the 'I;m getting mine" philosophy that has permeated the league. The LOB was probably the last great defense we may ever see - because of legislation, NFLPA, selfish attitudes, and they were a group that was the last of the strong willed alphas that meant business. That NFL is gone. We are on the threshold of flag football. The fundamentals are long gone. It's not just Seattle, but they are clearly exhibit A. The quality of play across the league has cratered.

I cannot possibly be the only one seeing this.
You aren’t the only one seeing this. The problem is? The Seahawks organization hasn’t seen it. We have not adapted our style. W

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:07 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:53 pm
auroraave wrote:
Yup - and it's not just the players - it's the league in general - defense hs been legislated out of the game in an effort to promote offense and ratings - while the NFLPA doesn't want players practicing at all in an effort to avoid injury. Then players are far less interested in the team concept vs the 'I;m getting mine" philosophy that has permeated the league. The LOB was probably the last great defense we may ever see - because of legislation, NFLPA, selfish attitudes, and they were a group that was the last of the strong willed alphas that meant business. That NFL is gone. We are on the threshold of flag football. The fundamentals are long gone. It's not just Seattle, but they are clearly exhibit A. The quality of play across the league has cratered.

I cannot possibly be the only one seeing this.
You aren’t the only one seeing this. The problem is? The Seahawks organization hasn’t seen it. We have not adapted our style. W
And when it the last time anyone watched an NFL game and didn't expect to hinge on a convenient late PI call? The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that and all the legislation to promote offense - isn't just a coincidence when you consider the league is all about gambling now. Legislation and control have magically intersected during the great gambling era of the NFL.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:17 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Bingo. Pete win with Lynch, a pretty damn good O Line, a QB that was a huge run threat and one of the best defenses of all time. How, he must be a genius. Especially since he is now coaching that very same style WITHOUT those players.
I really believe that it's this simple... rather than expecting things from your players that they can't provide, try coaching to their strengths.

I'm not at the VMAC and I don't attend the meetings, but what I see in the games tells me that the coaches and the players are not on the same page.

Perhaps Pete's Seahawks' culture has become too 'fun'. To the point of detriment.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:20 pm

I think all of these coaches have massive egos, and instead of admitting that what they are doing won’t work and adapting their style, they double down. Look at Campbell on Saturday. At won’t point do you accept that going for two isn’t the best option!? Nope, they’d rather blame the refs, even though they KNEW the wrong player had been announced as eligible and ran the fucking play anyway.

Pete’s best time as a coach happens when we win in comeback style so he can scream in the locker room about how you can’t win until the fourth quarter. He refuses to admit that a defense that attacks can be effective, because the first explosive play he gives up he curls into a ball and plays a soft zone with everyone in coverage behind the sticks and backpedaling at the snap. By God, we won’t get beat deep, but we will sure give up eight minute scoring drives, then come out and run two dive plays from a tight formation and punt after a dump off on third and seven!

He would rather prove his way works, and I know I hammer on this, but being uncomfortable with a 6 and 1 start so we can finish the season 6 and 5, with a first round playoff loss at home to a Rams team with a QB with no thumb on his throwing hand and Aaron Donald out most of the second half? Sorry, inexcusable, and should have been enough to show the world how ridiculously stubborn he is. The best two years in Seahawks history, were destroyed on second and goal in the Super Bowl, and no amount of Pete sunshine will fix that. He could have MAYBE fixed it then by making Bevel the scapegoat. Proven he means always compete for EVERYONE. He could have adapted years ago, you know? When we thought he all did because he brought in all new coaches. What changed?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:29 pm

Yeah the notion that he was great at teaching tackling back then but lost it somehow is pretty comical.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:08 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:20 pm
By God, we won’t get beat deep, but we will sure give up eight minute scoring drives, then come out and run two dive plays from a tight formation and punt after a dump off on third and seven!

He would rather prove his way works, and I know I hammer on this, but being uncomfortable with a 6 and 1 start so we can finish the season 6 and 5, with a first round playoff loss at home to a Rams team with a QB with no thumb on his throwing hand and Aaron Donald out most of the second half? Sorry, inexcusable, and should have been enough to show the world how ridiculously stubborn he is.
Completely accurate, in my opinion. And I agree, I think the coaches' egos only get bigger with the big paychecks. The HC position goes to their head.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:29 pm
Yeah the notion that he was great at teaching tackling back then but lost it somehow is pretty comical.
I do agree with AA though. The lack of practice hurts. The players don't care, and neither does the NFL. They are making a shit ton of money, so what does it matter if the product isn't as good anymore because the players spend no time practicing it? It's not just tackling, the beginning of the season is dreadful football, because it is basically preseason practice. They funny thing is? An increase in salary cap and the reduction in practice time was all the players cared about during that CBA. Then? As soon as they realized they had signed off on Roger Goodell to be judge, jury and executioner, and it was in that very same CBA? They threw a fit.

I know the owners are crooked, but the players union drives me nuts. They constantly cry about no one caring about their safety, but sign off immediately on anything the owners ask as long as they get to work less and make more money. My guess is we have extra playoff teams and an 18-game season soon enough. And the players will agree because the owners will let them miss more practice, play fewer preseason games, even though none of them play in the preseason anyway and the increased revenue will mean more money for the players. BUT? They will immediately cry that no one cares about their safety, even though they agreed to add more games during not just the regular season but the playoffs. Mark my words, it will happen.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:39 am

It is a league-wide thing - if you watch plays - nobody is interested in tackling anymore, they are only interested in trying to punch the ball out or dislodge it. That's it. Its maddening. They will run along side the RB/WR for 10 yards trying to cause a fumble instead of just tackling him.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:24 pm

What is hilarious is our defense is terrible, and we had three Pro Bowlers this year. All on Defense. One wasn't even the starting Safety until they finally realized what the entire world knew last year....Adams isn't a Safety!

The quote I read in here earlier about Pete Carroll thinking you can't run the football without a Marshawn Lynch style guy cracks me up. We have a guy that runs the ball that way, you just decide to use him as a third down back and took the speed guy and turned him into your battering ram. My God, you just can't make this shit up. Love makes a Pro Bowl, but wasn't even a starter here, Pete used two second round picks on RBs and doesn't believe either one fit his style of football, and it would seem that Geno is the man. No wonder we are on the outside looking in and behind the Rams who are supposed to be limited by salary cap issues!

Nwadventure

Post by Nwadventure » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:02 am

Please just activate Pete's Silver Alert and get him back down to So/Cal - Thx