PFF grades thread

Donn Beach

Re: PFF grades thread

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:12 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:43 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:26 pm
They been playing him all over the place.
Comfortable playing anywhere across the defensive line, the Seattle Seahawks have cut Dre'Mont Jones loose off the edge over the past few weeks after the acquisition of Leonard Williams, providing a viable solution to the team's run defense woes post-Uchenna Nwosu's season-ending injury

Just maybe it's how they are utilizing him as opposed to his being a shitty player
PFF seemed to think he was a pretty shitty player his last two seasons with the Broncos...

Screenshot_20240110-084059_(1).png
60s is in the average range isn't it?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:24 pm

Since we are bringing PFF into it
It’s worth noting that PFF gave Seattle’s signing of Jones an A-minus in terms of fit and need and a B-plus in regard to the value of the contract. That indicates even PFF believes Jones is better than what their own grading system would suggest.

“Seattle lands one of the top free agents on the market in Dre’Mont Jones, immediately adding juice up the middle,” the PFF staff wrote

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:49 pm

The average for a starter is around 70 i think.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:13 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:49 pm
The average for a starter is around 70 i think.
I think of it like this:

90s A+
80s A, A-
70s B+,B
60s B-,C,C-
50s D+, D
Below 50 F
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:35 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:56 pm
Did Dremont actually play Edge? I thought he was a DE.
Different schemes, but I always thought of him in that Red Bryant type DE role. More of a run stuffer. I know, different defenses, different eras, different style of offenses, but that was how I viewed Jones as a DE. There are a few problems with that.

1. Most importantly? We couldn't stop the run. I blame a lot of that on the scheme, and Pete even said the same thing. But Red Bryant got a lot of credit for how good those teams were against the run. I guess Dremont isn't that guy?
2. Those teams could get away with that because they not only had an amazing Secondary, they had a rotation of pass rushers like Clemons, Avril, Bennet and Irvin. "Turning Jones loose on the edge" seems like it was more out of necessity than it was about utilizing Jones and his strengths. We have really neglected the Edge position, which is strange in a 3 - 4. We act as though we are just going to luck into low money Free Agents like Bennett and Avril again. Irvin was a decent draft choice....who is the last Edge Rusher we drafted that was even decent?
3. The game has changed. The ball is out of the QBs hands very quickly these days, and not only do we not have an effective blitz package, we make it even easier on the QB to throw it quickly since we don't play tight coverage. So fucking scared of the deep ball, then everyone bitches about the pass rush. How do you rush the passer when the QB throws it as soon as his back foot hits the ground?

There is a lot of hate going Hurt's way, and rightly so. But this bullshit that we are supposed to buy that Pete doesn't have his hands on everything? i don't buy it. We look pretty much the same year in and year out, doesn't matter who the coordinator is. I'm tired of hearing how he is a defensive genius. When he was first in the league, all these college kids were guys he had recruited, coached or coached against. He did a great job of loading this team up with young and hungry talent. He also did a great job of pissing them off with his hypocrisy of compete all the time...only it was some people and some of the time.