2024 Draft QB chat

trharder

Re: 2024 Draft QB chat

Post by trharder » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:07 am

This discussion is very relevant after Pete gets the boot.
Jody and JS know Geno is not the guy and they will be getting a new QB. This forced the decision to fire Pete,
because it would be stupid to let Pete make the next QB decision and then stick the inevitable new coach
with whoever Pete took. A new HC with a fresh start should be able to be involved in who his QB will be because
so much of his future "sink or swim" will be tied to the QB.

Pete might never have lasted this long if it weren't for RW.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 am

I might have agreed with that if we didn't want watch RW collapse in front of our very eyes. I'm more apt to believe that Russ road on some coat tails than I am to believe the guy that I watched the last two years carried this organization.

Just look at the wind and losses for those two without each other. Pete have been great, but Russ has been awful.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:32 am

not saying they're the greatest source, but if there's one mantra WalterFootball always repeats it is this: "New regimes means new Quarterbacks".
we were already saying this was the year to go after a QB, now it's a near lock in the wake of Carroll's departure.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:45 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 am
I might have agreed with that if we didn't want watch RW collapse in front of our very eyes. I'm more apt to believe that Russ road on some coat tails than I am to believe the guy that I watched the last two years carried this organization.

Just look at the wind and losses for those two without each other. Pete have been great, but Russ has been awful.
Pete and his staff deserve a lot of credit for utilizing RW as effectively as they did. Reflecting back that has to be Pete's biggest accomplishment isn't it? Reading about the schism between Payton and Russell, I don't think it's so much Russell being bad, it's more undisciplined. Pete got a lot of mileage out of him where Payton can't or refuses too.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:20 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:45 am
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 am

Pete and his staff deserve a lot of credit for utilizing RW as effectively as they did. Reflecting back that has to be Pete's biggest accomplishment isn't it? Reading about the schism between Payton and Russell, I don't think it's so much Russell being bad, it's more undisciplined. Pete got a lot of mileage out of him where Payton can't or refuses too.
Undisciplined coach or player? Implying that Russ is uncoachable?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:34 am

And Pete and his staff managed to install an offense that worked. Course that relied on a younger RW and the read option
This is the kind of player Payton wants at quarterback. Someone who has the ability to know his offense on a molecular level — calls, checks, route concepts, blocking, schedule, construction of the plan, etc. — then the focus to carry it all out with the repetitive efficiency of a Xerox machine. This is how Kyle Shanahan wants his offense. It’s how Sean McVay wants his offense. And it’s definitely how Payton wants his offense. When a quarterback isn’t getting that job done in an overwhelmingly high percentile of his drops, the clock begins ticking on his tenure. It’s how Jared Goff became Matthew Stafford. It’s how Jimmy Garoppolo became Trey Lance and Lance became Brock Purdy. And now it’s how Russell Wilson will become someone else manning the controls in Denver.
Interesting article if anybody cares

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-payton-de ... 23397.html

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:01 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:09 pm
Where does Ward slot now that he has declared:
4th-6th round grade for me. Wouldn't mind taking a late waiver on him.